Buying First GPS

As frequently as this question arises you think it would occur to one of the Mods to lock post at the top of this forum that covered this topic. One that had links to some of those threads, even... Threads comparing different models to one another for instance. Why hasn't that been done??!! For the love of all that's HOLY someone please TELL ME why is there no "What GPSr Should I Buy?" sticky thread??? Why?!!

I don't see anything wrong with WSIB threads, EXCEPT I wish they were someplace else. Maybe over in Getting Started or the mods could do a forum just for that purpose -- and throw em all out of HERE as soon as they show up.

Would be a danged fine idea to kick a lot of commonly misplaced memes into their own forums too if they don't really fit here.

As frequently as this question arises you think it would occur to one of the Mods to lock post at the top of this forum that covered this topic. One that had links to some of those threads, even... Threads comparing different models to one another for instance. Why hasn't that been done??!! For the love of all that's HOLY someone please TELL ME why is there no "What GPSr Should I Buy?" sticky thread??? Why?!!

It's easier just to link the pinned topic: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=230083

Welcome to the other side of the looking glass.

Jupiter Jack is surely being ironic. Summer Walk has been a member for three days has seen enough WSIB threads _already_ to wish they were banished. (Look me up in eight years so we can commiserate on how many times this has been discussed.)

The punchline to the OP is that this (insufficiently complete) question has been asked and answered about all it can be. Without additional information or looking at the existing research, you're just running around the same old ground...

maybe someone who is somewhat unbiased could just post something along the lines of listing the more popular gpsr's and their pros and cons and that could be pinned. something like this:

garmin gpsmap60csx: has this, this, and this going for it. doesn't have this.

delorme pn40: has this, this, and this. doesn't have this...

and i'm not talking about the usual suspects who are constantly arguing about delorme v. garmin. like i said, unbiased. or maybe anyone could submit one and the mods could pick what they feel is the best one and pin it. it doesn't seem that difficult, but maybe i'm missing something.

maybe someone who is somewhat unbiased could just post something along the lines of listing the more popular gpsr's and their pros and cons and that could be pinned. something like this:

garmin gpsmap60csx: has this, this, and this going for it. doesn't have this.

delorme pn40: has this, this, and this. doesn't have this...

and i'm not talking about the usual suspects who are constantly arguing about delorme v. garmin. like i said, unbiased. or maybe anyone could submit one and the mods could pick what they feel is the best one and pin it. it doesn't seem that difficult, but maybe i'm missing something.

Looking at the pinned topic up top, I would say most of what you're asking for has already been posted? However, if you have more to add, please do so. Unbiased, mind you...

:lol:

soccergirl,

I'm new as well. I read as many threads on the subject as I could find, before becoming a member. When I found myself as confused as I could be, I went to Amazon and bought a Garmin 60CSx. Upon delivery I reported to the forum what I had purchased, strode up to the podium, and collected my "atta-boy" award.

Oh, I paid $287 for the unit and bought a few little gee-gaws to go with it. Thus far, it's done everything I've asked it to. Good luck and welcome aboard!

soccergirl,

I'm new as well. I read as many threads on the subject as I could find, before becoming a member. When I found myself as confused as I could be, I went to Amazon and bought a Garmin 60CSx. Upon delivery I reported to the forum what I had purchased, strode up to the podium, and collected my "atta-boy" award.

Oh, I paid $287 for the unit and bought a few little gee-gaws to go with it. Thus far, it's done everything I've asked it to. Good luck and welcome aboard!

That is a good unit and should serve you quite well...CONGRATS!! However, for around that same price, one could buy a few newer, more advanced units! Not that older is bad, just that older means less features than the newer. Older does mean tried and reliable as compared to some of the newer models, but most of the bugs have been fixed on many new tech toys!

When it comes to features, it's hard to beat the PN series in this price range or truly, any price range! Routing comes with the unit (maps included), paperless comes with the unit. Ease of use...YEP! True paperless caching is AWESOME, no notes, no lost cache info and logging is now a breeze! PN-30 or PN-40, both are great units. The PN-20 is also OK, but not nearly as good as the other PNs. The PNs can also add maps such as aerial imagery and NOAA charts via a $30/yr map subscription...NICE! The PNs are currently not suggested to those non-USA customers due to lack of maps available for other countries...but I have faith these maps are forthcoming, hopefully soon? I should add that, while the PN is quite usable with mac, it isn't exactly mac friendly. Some features will not be supported for mac. If this info is incorrect, please supply better! An added bonus to the PNs is the inclusion of T8 with the purchase. Topo8 (T8) is a powerful mapping software which allows for routing, layering, track management etc...at no additional cost.

Garmin has a few models for around this range as well, Dakota, Colorado and MAYBE even the low-end Oregons? These too do paperless and can route with the right maps (which will cost you around $100 extra). Other, non-routing maps can be obtained free, so maps aren't too bad for these models (remember though, routing maps will cost you). The OR has touchscreen which may (or may not) impress some. Routing with these is nice due to speed of calculating over say the PN series, but these units are no more (or less) accurate than others including the PNs IMHO. I like the wireless transfer some of these models offer (OR 300 and above do for sure, I think the Dakota does as well but not sure about the CO).

Magellan has the Triton series that does a LOT for the buck. Many shy away from them mainly because of past history with the company (they went through some bumpy times and lacked customer service as well as put out shoddy products. I hear things are a bit better??) Not knowing much about the new Maggies, I will say I owned the 500LE and loved it (no longer made). I've heard aerials can be added to some of these, but have not seen many state they have done so. I don't think any of these do complete paperless, someone with more knowledge might come along?

Lowrance has a unit or two but I am not going to make suggestions there since I've heard nothing but bad from new owners...buyer beware there. Hopefully, things improve with them, but some of the feedback indicates that CS hardly ever replies to questions?

Hey, not bad for a biased PN-40 owner... :lol:

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Roddy,

Thanks for the "road test." Kind of wish I waited for the my ultimate dream machine. :) You know, something for us old, grumpy, un-tech geezers. I'm thinking something with a "0" learning curve like an Etch-A-Sketch with GPS capabilities? If you hear of anything like this gimmee a holler OK? :lol:

Roddy,

Thanks for the "road test." Kind of wish I waited for the my ultimate dream machine. :) You know, something for us old, grumpy, un-tech geezers. I'm thinking something with a "0" learning curve like an Etch-A-Sketch with GPS capabilities? If you hear of anything like this gimmee a holler OK? :lol:

Fear not, when you get ready to upgrade (IF), you should be able to sell your 60CSx for a fair amount, making the loss minimal. As for a "dream machine"...the PNs, the COs, ORs and Dakotas are pretty close! You can load right from the cache page or by PQ (the PN has the advantage here with a $10 added app called Cache Register, but all are fairly simple), you can use GSAK with all of these and as I said, with field notes...NICE!!