I didn't scream

aniyn

While checking the logs for some of the less frequently visited caches in my area, when I noticed a new log for a cache hidden just inside on old mineshaft. This log said that the finder had found the cache, but they had rehidden it much deeper in the mine instead of just putting it back where they'd found it. Long story short, I decided to head up the mountain and replace the cache where it belonged. Unfortunately when I got there I realized that I had forgotten to bring a flashlight. I did however have my ipod, and while they don't put out much light I figured i could find a cache in a small cave without too much trouble. So in I went, ipod leading the way.

Now I'm not a squeamish person by any means. I'm not afraid of snakes, lizards, or caterpillars (?!). Heck, I've got a black widow in one of those little plastic terrariums sitting on my desk. I pick the wolf spiders up if i find them in my shower and let them go behind the toilet. Definitely not squeamish.

However, as I was hunched over in this mine shaft, with just enough light to inch myself deeper and deeper in, you might imagine my sudden ......surprise as a heard a faint rustle ahead, followed a split-second later by a bat hitting me right in the face. After thinking about it briefly, I calmly made my way the heck outta there.

I did actually get the see the bat near the entrance - I seemed slightly larger than a golf ball. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I traumatized it :)

Maybe next time I'll leave the maintenance to to CO...

However, as I was hunched over in this mine shaft, with just enough light to inch myself deeper and deeper in, you might imagine my sudden ......surprise as a heard a faint rustle ahead, followed a split-second later by a bat hitting me right in the face. After thinking about it briefly, I calmly made my way the heck outta there.

I did actually get the see the bat near the entrance - I seemed slightly larger than a golf ball. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I traumatized it :)

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought I recall hearing from a naturalist that bats have excellent sonar, and collisions with humans are extremely rare.

Of course, it could be disoriented because it is sick, like, you know, rabies or something...

You know, come to think of it, bats are not usually solitary animals, but the same naturalist also said that when they know they're infected, the bats would usually break away from the main group to die by themselves.

If we don't hear from you in a few days, who should we contact? :rolleyes:

OK, sorry, bad joke. Wonder if it's a juvenile or something. Though the part about what the naturalist said is true.

On a very loosely related note, I'd like to share this photo taken near Sacramento. Those dots are individual Mexican Free Tailed Bats. About 200,000 of them roost under that section of I-80.

f7b574bc-1222-4be7-b8b9-53b1736e50d1.jpg

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought I recall hearing from a naturalist that bats have excellent sonar, and collisions with humans are extremely rare.

That did occur to me as well. The only thing that made any sense to me was that i startled it. It is a pretty small tunnel as well; I was hunched over for a reason. Or maybe it was looking for a fight :)

If it happens extremely rarely, then I must be fairly unlucky (or spend way too much time hiking around sunset :) ). I've been gently smacked in the head a couple of times by bats that were (I'm guessing) leaving their hiding places at dusk to find their buggy breakfasts. I caught a brief glimpse of one of them; it seemed to be pretty small for its species, and therefore most likely just a reckless youngster.

--Larry

One of the most amazing things I've ever seen was the evening mass-exit of bats from the May Lundy Mine in the Inyo National Forest above Mono Lake. It blackened the sky for several minutes in a very 'Steven King' kind of way.

The closest cache I can find to the May Lundy Mine is the GCH3NA Beaver Heaven cache which is a little upstream from Lundy Lake. The Lundy Lake Resort was a favorite camping destination for my family when I was still a youngster. The mine is an easy (but steep) ~3-1/2 mile hike up the Lake Canyon Creek trail from Lundy Lake and it's well worth the effort if you enjoy spectacular scenery and historical 'ghost' mines. Check out THIS WEB PAGE (by others) to see what I'm talking about.

I suppose I should add that my last visit to the area was years before the advent of geocaching. I should also add that you don't want to forget your fly rod and creel if you visit the area. There aren't many caches, but there's lots of trout!

Pete

Unfortunately when I got there I realized that I had forgotten to bring a flashlight. I did however have my ipod, and while they don't put out much light I figured i could find a cache in a small cave without too much trouble. So in I went, ipod leading the way.

What type of iPod did you have? I have a 3rd gen. Nano and I didn't think that it gave much light. On the other hand, I would think that a iTouch or iPhone would suffice.

Unfortunately when I got there I realized that I had forgotten to bring a flashlight. I did however have my ipod, and while they don't put out much light I figured i could find a cache in a small cave without too much trouble. So in I went, ipod leading the way.

What type of iPod did you have? I have a 3rd gen. Nano and I didn't think that it gave much light. On the other hand, I would think that a iTouch or iPhone would suffice.

Video. It was just enough light to keep me from walking into the walls or hitting my head. Realistically though, I doubt I would have able to find the cache.

Of course, it could be disoriented because it is sick, like, you know, rabies or something...

Not to be a scare monger, but that is something that should be considered. A guy died of rabies around here a few years ago. He caught a bat in his house in a net. Never even knew he was bitten (they have very small teeth so you might not even notice a bite) and came down with rabies.

When my step- daughter was about 10 she was staying at her dads house and there was a bat in her blanket. When she pulled the blanket off the bed the bat fell out onto her foot, then flew off.

We talked to the Dr and he immediately ordered rabies shots. There was no visible bite or scratch and the contact was momentary, but he didn't feel it was worth taking a chance.

Yeah, I pick up wolf spiders too.

With the blade of a putty knife after I have smashed it with the heel of my shoe. :D

A move that I learned from my bud, Bond..... James Bond.

I do the same with bats if there is anything left after I toast them with my propane blow torch. :lol:

That move, I invented all by my little self.

I do scream however..........hurrrraaaahhhhhh!!!

Edited by Team Cotati

I placed a cache while finding and placing caches in Las Trampas area of the East Bay Area of California with Alamogul. He told me to place one up a hill. I was worried of rattlers and he handed me a hiking pole. While trying to find a spot, I hit a rock with the pole and heard SHHHHHHHH of the ratttles (didn't see it or want to) so I backed out quickly. After finding another suitable spot nearby I named it "Close Encounters of the Viper Kind" with information on How to advoid them, what to do if you are bitten etc. I didn't scream either.