new GPS Designed

Teacosies

What a dreadful way to teach kids about Navigation!

A compass is a great tool, but without a map of some sort, it is likely to lead you entirely the wrong way in many situations.

This toy appears to dumb down Navigation to blindly following a pointer needle. That's a really really bad way to navigate.

If following a pointer is wrong we'd better all bin all our expensive GPS kit!

Education is all about how you use the kit rather than exact design of the kit itself.

A compass is a great tool, but without a map of some sort, it is likely to lead you entirely the wrong way in many situations.

This toy appears to dumb down Navigation to blindly following a pointer needle. That's a really really bad way to navigate.

Education is all about how you use the kit rather than exact design of the kit itself.

It's not very often you will hear me saying that I agree with The Forester, but on this occasion I do wholeheartedly. Any form of electronic navigation equipment should be used as a supplement to proper map and compass navigation. At the present moment nothing on the market can beat it, for as long as you keep the map dry and secure and have the knowledge on how to use it, it can save your life when the electronic gizmo packs up on you!!

When I start navigating over ground I am unfamiliar with, particularly more when climbing mountains, I have my GPS on and with me, but the map & compass is what I use to navigate my way with.

I'm also totally with The Forester on this, it is essential that map and compass can be used and understood in the outdoors, and carried when in the big outdoors, a GPSr is only an aid to navigation and a paper map and compass should not be substituted by a GPSr. After all what would you do if the GPSr failed and you had no means to find your way out of a place.

I'm also totally with The Forester on this, it is essential that map and compass can be used and understood in the outdoors, and carried when in the big outdoors, a GPSr is only an aid to navigation and a paper map and compass should not be substituted by a GPSr. After all what would you do if the GPSr failed and you had no means to find your way out of a place.

I'd use my backup GPS.

One of the comments under the product puffreview mentioned Geocaching. Well, the image shows the word "Wupperpiraten" and some coordinates. And there is a cache called "Wupperpiraten", which is at those coordinates (give or take /a/ a typo in the longitude :blink: and /b/ the fact that it's a multi). Which explains the use of "O" instead of "E" on the compass rose... but I wonder how the cache data gets in there?

It's not very often you will hear me saying that I agree with The Forester, but on this occasion I do wholeheartedly. Any form of electronic navigation equipment should be used as a supplement to proper map and compass navigation. At the present moment nothing on the market can beat it, for as long as you keep the map dry and secure and have the knowledge on how to use it, it can save your life when the electronic gizmo packs up on you!!

When I start navigating over ground I am unfamiliar with, particularly more when climbing mountains, I have my GPS on and with me, but the map & compass is what I use to navigate my way with.

I also favour map and compass for navigation in the hills and that is why I seriously doubt that the arrival of this device isn't going to lead to the demise of instruction in this use of map and compass.

One of the comments under the product puffreview mentioned Geocaching. Well, the image shows the word "Wupperpiraten" and some coordinates. And there is a cache called "Wupperpiraten", which is at those coordinates (give or take /a/ a typo in the longitude :o and /b/ the fact that it's a multi). Which explains the use of "O" instead of "E" on the compass rose... but I wonder how the cache data gets in there?

It's not the co-ords for the final showing, is it??! :D

:D:blink: