disabled upon publication

Teacosies

How do I publish a cache that is disabled upon publication.

That is, the reviewer ok’s the cache and it is published. Will the reviewer disable it if I ask via the - Note to Reviewer:

Or do I have to look out for it to be published (check my email) and then disable it.

I don’t have physical access to GZ to plant the cache at the moment as its fenced off but want to get it all ready. So that its active as soon as its unveiled.

I don’t have physical access to GZ to plant the cache at the moment as its fenced off but want to get it all ready. So that its active as soon as its unveiled.

Sorry, but you cannot normally submit a listing until/unless the cache is in place.

From the guidelines (see here);

"Your cache should be in place and ready to hunt at the time your cache page is submitted for review. If for any reason it is not ready, please either disable your cache page so that it won’t be seen by the reviewer until ready, or include a "note to reviewer" to explain your special circumstances (for example, waiting for a permit from a land manager)."

What you can do in the meantime is prepare the listing without submiiting it (i.e ensure that the "Yes, this listing is active " checkbox isn't selected

Mike

Edited by Von-Horst

When you submit a cache for review you have to tick the box that says "This listing is active..." which means that the cache is there, in place, and it's all ready for the FTF hunters to leap immediately into their cars/saddle up their bicycles/steeds and head out to find it.

If you wait to receive that email which tells you that your cache has been published and then immediately "temporarily disable" it you could annoy some cachers who will have dashed off to search as soon as they received their own notification of a newly published cache and they might not notice that it is disabled 10 minutes after publication.

How long is it going to be before you will be able to put the container in place at the location?

Why not get your cache page set up but keep the little Listing-is-active box unticked? You can play around editing your cache page, get any permission sorted, get the container ready to go etc. Then once you have access to the spot put the cache in place, come home, tick the little box and send your cache listing in to the Reviewers' queue.

MrsB ;)

What you can do in the meantime is prepare the listing without submiiting it (i.e ensure that the "Yes, this listing is active " checkbox isn't selected

I do this all the time. When the cache is ready to go I just check the box and send it off to be reviewed/published.

If you know the date the site will be freed you can submit the cache and a reviewer note to the extent "Please publish this cache on ...."

The reviewers will be more than happy to oblige - I did this with so that the Dengie Peninsula 18 Church Micros were all released on the same day - it's a long way to travel just for a handful of caches otherwise.

How do I publish a cache that is disabled upon publication.

That is, the reviewer ok’s the cache and it is published. Will the reviewer disable it if I ask via the - Note to Reviewer:

Or do I have to look out for it to be published (check my email) and then disable it.

You can´t get a cache published until the physical cache is in place.

Ofcourse you can if you don´t tell your reviewer about it but we don´t publish caches that not are "findable".

Edited by Landstedt

You can´t get a cache published until the physical cache is in place.

Ofcourse you can if you don´t tell your reviewer about it but we don´t publish caches that not are "findable".

I ran into this problem just the other day - I wanted to type up the description for a cache that I'll be placing tomorrow, but the system rejected it as the placement date was in the future. It seemed a bit daft to put the wrong date on, so I just left it for now.

I ran into this problem just the other day - I wanted to type up the description for a cache that I'll be placing tomorrow, but the system rejected it as the placement date was in the future. It seemed a bit daft to put the wrong date on, so I just left it for now.

That's not a problem

You can change the date afterwards

Mark

I have found that if you draft a cache page but leave a month or two before setting it as active it gets reviewed much quicker - once you activate it - than one you publish straight away.

This might just be co-incidence but I think they must hit the review queue sorted by their GC code (or more likely the ID number)

We activated three new caches at once one time, one of which had a six month old code.

It had already been found by the time the two with new codes got published ;)

Mark

You can submit the cache page with a request that the location only is Reviewed for issues, that will act as a place holder. But that will only be for a reasonable period and not last forever.

The queue is order by GC Code which is just a graphic representation of the actual cache ID No which is a long stream, the lowest first and highest last. So the earliest created cache is at the top of the queue.

I personally work region by region, as it's easier that way. Especially as we now often see requests from CO's with series that all the caches are published together. I start at the top and work through the bottom, then move on to the next region. Picking up where I left off.

You can create a cache page but not submit it, and hold on to it for 6-12 months or longer. Then finally create the final page and submit it. At any time you can edit the date, to up to 24 hours ahead of what's current [i believe that's 24 hours ahead of what is current at Seattle who are 7 hours behind GMT]. Up to around 18 months ago, I used to edit the date of cache submissions being published to the current date. Due to the extremely high workload that is no longer practical for me. Only Events may be submitted with a forward date.

Deci

...The queue is order by GC Code which is just a graphic representation of the actual cache ID No which is a long stream, the lowest first and highest last. So the earliest created cache is at the top of the queue...

:) I thought as much!

... I used to edit the date of cache submissions being published to the current date. Due to the extremely high workload that is no longer practical for me...

Lend me your user id for a couple of hours and I'll write you a Greasemonkey Script to do it for you ;)

You can create a cache page but not submit it, and hold on to it for 6-12 months or longer. Then finally create the final page and submit it. At any time you can edit the date, to up to 24 hours ahead of what's current [i believe that's 24 hours ahead of what is current at Seattle who are 7 hours behind GMT]. Up to around 18 months ago, I used to edit the date of cache submissions being published to the current date. Due to the extremely high workload that is no longer practical for me. Only Events may be submitted with a forward date.

Thanks Deci,

I'll give it a shot tonight.

You can submit the cache page with a request that the location only is Reviewed for issues, that will act as a place holder. But that will only be for a reasonable period and not last forever.

Thanks for that since it almost answers a question that's been niggling the back of my mind for a week or so. I have a couple of sites in mind but there might be issues (e.g. proximity to military facilities). Would you recommend submitting for review for issues only, or is it possible to iron out any issues with a reviewer prior to formal submission?

TIA,

Geoff

Thanks for that since it almost answers a question that's been niggling the back of my mind for a week or so. I have a couple of sites in mind but there might be issues (e.g. proximity to military facilities). Would you recommend submitting for review for issues only, or is it possible to iron out any issues with a reviewer prior to formal submission?

TIA,

Geoff

Both are possible B) , if the caches comes in for full Review, the Reviewer will point out any issues to you if the cache can not be immediately be published and the cache will be Disabled whilst they are resolved.

Deci

Thanks Deci.

You say that both are possible, but I can't see how to contact a reviewer to iron out issues prior to submission (i.e. without submitting a new cache form). So I guess that the best thing to do is to submit all caches of a set with a request in the notes to reviewer that each is reviewed for issues only and not published until all issues across the set are resolved.

What I have in mind is a set of three. The third is a mystery with co-ordinates and hints contained in the first two. What I don't want is for one or two of the set to be published and for the other(s) to be refused, since I'd then need to withdraw the published cache(s) and re-plan. This is why I feel the need to know (at least in principle) of any "showstoppers".

Thanks again,

Geoff

Thanks Deci.

You say that both are possible, but I can't see how to contact a reviewer to iron out issues prior to submission (i.e. without submitting a new cache form). So I guess that the best thing to do is to submit all caches of a set with a request in the notes to reviewer that each is reviewed for issues only and not published until all issues across the set are resolved.

What I have in mind is a set of three. The third is a mystery with co-ordinates and hints contained in the first two. What I don't want is for one or two of the set to be published and for the other(s) to be refused, since I'd then need to withdraw the published cache(s) and re-plan. This is why I feel the need to know (at least in principle) of any "showstoppers".

That's what he has already told you to do B)

Of course the other way to contact a Reviewer is through their profile (same as with any cacher). Of course you need to know their names:

Deceangi

Graculus

Alba15

The Beekeeper

Each covers a certain area and you can find your local one by looking at your nearest cache and seeing who published it

;)

In Alphabetical order :laughing:

Reviewer Account-Alba15

Reviewer Areas-Northern Scotland, Southern Scotland, North East England,North West England, Yorkshire and Humberside

Player Account- geoki

Reviewer Account-The Bee Keeper

Reviewer Areas- Eastern England, London

Player Account-sssss

Reviewer Account-Croaghan

Reviewer Area-Ireland [all regions]

Player Account-dino-irl

Reviewer Account-Deceangi

Reviewer Areas-North East England,North West England, Yorkshire and Humberside, North Wales, East Midlands, West Midlands, South East England, Isle of Man, Jersey [island of], Guernsey, Gibraltar, Malta.

Player Account-Mancunian Pyrocacher

Reviewer Account-Graculus

Reviewer Areas-South Wales, Southern England, South West England.

Player Account-Blorenges

Whilst we have Primary Areas, we each provide cover for the other Reviewers Areas. And actually reviewer each others caches/events :laughing:

Deci

Edited by Deceangi

... it's all ready for the FTF hunters to leap immediately into their cars/saddle up their bicycles/steeds and head out to find it.

If you wait to receive that email which tells you that your cache has been published and then immediately "temporarily disable" it you could annoy some cachers who will have dashed off to search as soon as they received their own notification of a newly published cache and they might not notice that it is disabled 10 minutes after publication.

MrsB :laughing:

Thats exactly what I wanted to avoid.

Never mind, It was more about making sure that no one else was doing the same cache and someone losing out, being unable to post their cache.

Thanks for all the responses.

Oh dear. :D

Great minds must think alike... and at the same time.

A little odd that two cachers should be thinking along exactly the same lines at the same time. Has the spot suddenly become famous for some reason?

MrsB

On a slightly different tack to that, I did GC1YJR6 the other week, and just as I had suspected, the cache was hidden in the EXACT same place as a cache I nabbed way back in 2003 (GCC444)!

Gaz

No.. it was a mistake....

I meant to put a final reviewer note on the cache page with information for the owner to read and then publish the cache. The owner would get the note but it wouldn't show on the page. I chose the wrong log type and disabled it instead......

sometimes I'm just inhuman....

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources

Oh dear. :blink:

Great minds must think alike... and at the same time.

A little odd that two cachers should be thinking along exactly the same lines at the same time. Has the spot suddenly become famous for some reason?

MrsB

I've had something similar . . . set a (hardish) puzzle and had it found by accident by someone looking for somewhere to place a cache of their own. Location wasn't anywhere wildly exciting (although useful to make a note of if you're a local walker, which I suspect might be why we both had the same idea).

No.. it was a mistake....

I meant to put a final reviewer note on the cache page with information for the owner to read and then publish the cache. The owner would get the note but it wouldn't show on the page. I chose the wrong log type and disabled it instead......

sometimes I'm just inhuman....

Chris

Graculus

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources

Chris,

I guessed that was the case. I didn't mean to highlight it as a witch hunt, I was just a little intrigued.

I know how hard you guys work (I've almost given up trying to keep up any local caches outside a 5 mile radius)

Stu

Oh I wasn't taking it as criticism at all. It helps to explain to people why odd things happen on their caches. It confused me at first when I saw the owners log on the cache. I couldn't work out what had happened. Then I realised..... problem between the chair and the keyboard :o

Chris

Graculus

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk