Missing Persons

jeruley

I'm posing this as a question or for any advice you may have, I have no planes on doing anything at this point but I wanted to put this out there.

Background:

A local radio station did a story on a missing girl in my area and was asking for volunteers to come out and joining the search. The Police have ended there organized searches and now its being left up to the family to coordinate them. I spent this past weekend out there with about 12 others searching the woods and ATV trails. I had brought my GPS which was very useful when trying to describe the where we had gone and items we had marked. I was thinking to myself how sad it was only 12 people showed up and those who had could barley read a map, and were not very comfortable in the woods.

So the question I'm putting out there is how do I get GeoCachers involved in these searches and has anyone else done something like this in the past. We have a great community of people with a special skill set looking for things out of place.

Thanks for any advice you may have and if you have a search going on in your area please take the time to go out and help.

I've helped with a few searches on the ground, and also have helped with a few from the air as well.... it's a great feeling to know that you're helping out, even if the result doesn't turn out as one might hope, but obviously even better when it ends happily. As most geocachers are very familiar with their GPS's and their use, they could be a great asset to a search (I hate to say that I've seen many a search & rescue member that can bairly tell north from south, let alone read a gps)

One thing you can do is see if your state has any local geocaching clubs / organizations. Then join them and become involved. Michigan (my state) has an excellent organization that divides the state up into regions and does all kinds of things frim CITO, events, working with the DNR or parks / perserves, etc.

If you do have a local geocaching club/organization near you, some of them will utilize forums, phone lists, twitter accounts, facebook pages, etc. You can use these avenues as a soundboard to invite other cachers from your area to come out and help with a missing person search.

It's a great idea and as you have already discovered make sure they come "over-prepared". So many people have great hearts but they just don't think before they leave their house. An example is showing up for a missing person search wearing short shorts and sandals. Ummmmm "I think if they were on the beach we would have found them by now?" Anyways, I digress, an extra flash light, warm sweatshirt, water, some snacks can go a long ways to help others who show up unprepared.

Some thoughts......

I would want to help but wouldn't know how to react if I found a deceased person in the woods. I dunno.....

We're not looking for corpses were looking for living and breathing people...imagine your reaction when you find one those and they're 9 years old and have been missing for 36 hours ;). Think positive thoughts.

Unfortunately, the geocaching event is a nice idea, but I believe the above replier is correct. I believe these would be rejected by a reviewer because it would be viewed as a "cause." However, I've never seen this discussed or tried before. Definately, worth a shot. The worse that can happen is that it gets shot down. No biggie.

Good luck and I hope you get some help on your next search.

I would suggest hooking up with your local geo-club or organization and trying to get some support from them. I know if I saw a posting on our local organization's website, I would go out to help if possible.

I know how you feel on the low numbers of people out to help.

My wife and I were volunteers for about 10 years with our local county fire department and helped on all kinds of events, participated in just about every training exercise they had, heck we even did their newsletter for them for a while. We had about 200+ volunteers on our mailing list but it was always the same core group of about 25 of us that consistently showed up for exercises and events.

Thanks for going out to do your part, and trying to help find others to do the same! ;)

I would want to help but wouldn't know how to react if I found a deceased person in the woods. I dunno.....

It can happen. You don't usually pick your spot to die so if a lot of your life is spent in the woods it's likely to end there... and someone else will find you there. If you find me, enjoy the rest of your day then call someone when you get back to the car. ;)

This is loosely related... but I thought the OP might enjoy the story.

About a year ago, Write Shop Robert was running a cointest which was based on a game where you determined the location (coordinates) based on clues in a picture. He would post a picture, and the participants would have to use google maps/earth, and the clues in the picture to determine where the picture was taken from.

About the same time, on another forum, someone was trying to locate a friend/relative who had gone missing in an urban environment. I don't remember the exact circumstances, but they were in some sort of danger. The only clue to their location was a picture that they had taken using their cell phone-- because I had been honing my skills on WSR's game, I was able to work with another forum participant to determine their location.

Thanks to everyone, I'm off to check out the local clubs.

Also, I'm kind of new to GeoCaching but is there a contact for the GeoCache Web site that might be able to give me an answer? I had thought about posting it as an event but didn't want to cross any lines with them and wouldn't without an OK.

I want more then anything to make this clear to everyone that this is very serious and not a social event.

Thanks for all your help and input.

I am a bloodhound handler for our local volunteer Search & Rescue team.

The answer is simple. Touch nothing. Call the police. Until proven otherwise everything is considered a crime scene. You don't want to destroy evidence etc.

Most police forces prefer not to use untrained volunteers during a search. However, if the police have wound down the search, then anyone can organize a search. However, I recommend you contact a volunteer search group for assistance. Searches need to be well organized and managed to ensure areas are properly cleared.

Event cache? that might work, but would probably not fly with the reviewer.

In an emergecy all options are on the table.

To the OP.

the Phone a Friend network tends to be very developed in an area that's had caching long enough to be established. First I'd plug into that.

Failing that, I'd use the local forums to garner the interest.

Failing that, these forums and failing that, the Event Cache.

Or if time is of the essence (which is is in a search) all of the above at once.

The answer is simple. Touch nothing. Call the police. Until proven otherwise everything is considered a crime scene. You don't want to destroy evidence etc.

Most police forces prefer not to use untrained volunteers during a search. However, if the police have wound down the search, then anyone can organize a search. However, I recommend you contact a volunteer search group for assistance. Searches need to be well organized and managed to ensure areas are properly cleared.

Add to my post getting in touch with a local LEO or SAR affilicated cacher for exaclty the knowledge that Tequila has brought to the table.

You know, it just occurred to me that geocachers would have a slight advantage when searching the woods for a missing person. While crass to say, the phrase "geocachers know the best places to hide a body" came to mind.

In fact, experienced geocachers could use their geosense to help locate a missing person. Geocachers can sometimes see the most minute of trails. They often have a heightened sense of the surroundings and could be a huge benefit on a search for a missing, or worse, deceased, individual in the woods.

Failing that, these forums and failing that, the Event Cache.

What is the required time line for an event to be considered? 2 weeks prior to the publication date? 3 weeks? B)

If that's the case, events might only be suitable for a body recovery effort, not a rescue effort.

Still, it would be worth doing.

I am assuming the "event" discussion is in jest.

I can't imagine how crass it would be to have an "event" to search for a missing person who, at this point, is most likely deceased.

I would hope that your reviewer (on any reviewer) would see how tasteless it is and not approve it.

WOW you guys are getting a bit off track here.

First, a little more background this child went missing a few months ago and the Police and FBI are no longer doing searches for the child, so the family is now responsiable to continue them. The family has an Orginization who has helped train and works with them to conduct these searches so this is not a free for all. Searchers are briefed on what to do if they find something of intrest and told not to touch anything.

Second, No this is not a search for a deceased body but for evedence that may lead to her recovery. The searches include talking with neighbors who have large plots of land and searching areas that may have not been searched.

Third, The reason I approached this forum is to get people involved who may not know about these searches in there area and yes I beleive that GeoCachers would be better at this type of thing then someone off the street. If the Word Event Cache gets more people out to save or find a missing child I wouldn't find it tasteless.

My point of view standing there looking at this Mother signing people up and only havining 12 people show is dissapointing. I understand that this may not be the right place but I find it hard to beleive that posting an Event cache that could help find a child would be considered bad taste.

Thanks again to ALL of you for your input, I'm going to start with my local group and see what kind of responce I get from them.

A local radio station did a story on a missing girl in my area and was asking for volunteers to come out and joining the search. The Police have ended there organized searches and now its being left up to the family to coordinate them. I spent this past weekend out there with about 12 others searching the woods and ATV trails. I had brought my GPS which was very useful when trying to describe the where we had gone and items we had marked. I was thinking to myself how sad it was only 12 people showed up and those who had could barley read a map, and were not very comfortable in the woods.

So the question I'm putting out there is how do I get GeoCachers involved in these searches and has anyone else done something like this in the past. We have a great community of people with a special skill set looking for things out of place.

A friend mentioned your WSGA post but it's easier for me to post here.

I am a very active Search And Rescue volunteer in Washington State. I got involved after being turned away at an “official” multi-day coordinated search a few years ago. Like many others I did not understand why we couldn’t just “Flash Mob” an area with tons of locals. I do understand now, they don’t need any more victims, nor do they want a possible crime scene, or scent trail, contaminated by untrained searchers as others have already noted

... So many people have great hearts but they just don't think before they leave their house. An example is showing up for a missing person search wearing short shorts and sandals. … an extra flash light, warm sweatshirt, water, some snacks can go a long ways to help others who show up unprepared.

... Until proven otherwise everything is considered a crime scene. You don't want to destroy evidence etc.

Now I know that many geocachers have more outdoor experience than some SAR volunteers. The problem is telling people apart. The Sheriff knows the capabilities of the teams that they regularly work with.

Rest assured that all the searches that I have been involved with were very thorough. The vast majority ended with a find but there are a few cases where we run down all the leads and canvas large areas for several days but have to stop at some point. This is not an easy decision for the Sheriff to make. I think that any family would find that decision hard to accept. That is when the type of search you are describing comes into play.

GPS skills come in handy in either type of search. So do other skills such as map and compass, outdoor survival, hazardous terrain navigation, and others. I know our SAR organization has extensive training in these areas. But then we have over 100 missions per year in our county and are blessed with a very supportive community. There is some variation between counties and states but I would hope that SilentWolf’s experience was an isolated case.

...I hate to say that I've seen many a search & rescue member that can bairly tell north from south, let alone read a gps

In King County we have several individual units that offer different skill sets. There are a wide variety of positions that people can help with.

Why not check out your local Pierce County SAR group?