A substance that dogs don't like?

Mrs. Jalena

Hi @all,

I have a cache, which ist covered with a huge piece of bark. A few days ago, the bark dissapaered the second time. The first time, I just covered the box with a new one. I think that the bark was carried away by dogs. To avoid that this will happen again, I decided to put a substance on the bark, wich dog might not like. At first, I dropped tea tree oil on it. In my opinion this does not smell very goog. I hope, in dog's opinion, too.

Has anyone another idea, what I can take? It should of course be a not-toxic substance.

Happy Hunting @all

Mrs. Jalena

Hi @all,

I have a cache, which ist covered with a huge piece of bark. A few days ago, the bark dissapaered the second time. The first time, I just covered the box with a new one. I think that the bark was carried away by dogs. To avoid that this will happen again, I decided to put a substance on the bark, wich dog might not like. At first, I dropped tea tree oil on it. In my opinion this does not smell very goog. I hope, in dog's opinion, too.

Has anyone another idea, what I can take? It should of course be a not-toxic substance.

Happy Hunting @all

Mrs. Jalena

They make bitter apple spray to encourage dogs to stay off the furniture in your home, but I'm not sure how any kind of oil or spray will hold up under the elements outdoors. Maybe you could hot glue pieces of bark, branches or leaves around the outside of the cache instead of using loose pieces that can be carried away?

With all the bark in the woods, I would think it rather odd that dogs would specifically be going after the bark on your cache. Are you sure that its attached well enough to withstand the handling? Bark really don't glue very well, because the glue only adheres to the inner surface, and it doesn't take much to get that surface to separate from the rest of the bark. A couple of bands of bailing wire twisted around the whole thing might help that.

No, I don't know of any scent that all dogs will avoid.

Dogs use their noses much more than people realize. Stuff that stinks would tend to draw them to it out of curiosity. Think of it like saying "what color would be flashy enough to keep people away". In other words, you can find something to keep them from biting it, but nothing that would make them keep their distance.

Tabasco works well. You can also get capsicum powder at your local bird feed store, it keeps squirrels away, I would imagine dogs too.

Countdown till a somebody chimes in with "I cache with my dog and you will make his sensitive doggy nose explode!"

I think I'd just find a better means of camo than coating something with an irritant and then placing it in the woods. Heck, what if I have an alergy to your choice of irritant?

Edited by Castle Mischief

I don't think capsicum would be a sound idea, since some folks don't need to inhale it to become irritated (literally :huh:

Someone accidently having their hands touch their face after lifting said bark would not be happy campers...

Sure it's not the CONTAINER and not the bark ?

Someone puts in a perfume sample, DOG TREATS, or anything with a smell and the dog's going after IT, not the bark on top.

I don't understand how a dog would concentrate on your bark a number of times and drag it away (you stated you replaced it with others.) Sounds like there's plenty of bark to choose from.

Seems more like a human may be involved.

If that's the case, the capsicum may come in handy...

Hi @all,

Happy Hunting @all

Mrs. Jalena

Tree oil can be dangerous & lethal to dogs if enough is consumed. In Texas you could be held criminally liable if a dog died because of any chemical you release to the enviroment. This includes antifreeze spills on your driveway if not cleaned up.

Use CITRONELLA.... it is safe for dogs & other animals as well & dogs can't stand the smell.

TGC

Use CITRONELLA.... it is safe for dogs & other animals as well & dogs can't stand the smell.

TGC

Not saying you are wrong, but there may be some reason for concern. From the wikipedia article:

Citronella may irritate skin and cause dermatitis in certain individuals. It should not be used on the skin of young children (under 3 years old).
Edited by Castle Mischief

Thanks for your answers. The bark is noch glued on the box, it is just layed on top of that. It is a piece of 25*35 cm and 4 cm thick. So I don't think, it could be blown away or something like this. But I don't think that it was a human either. Why should a human carry away the bark and leave the box on its position?

I just decided to find something else, to put it on the box. Rocks won't be a good idea, I think. It's a cache in the city, not in a forest. So a rock would be rather demonstrative. Maybe I can take a trunk.

For those, who worry about the dogs: It were about 10-15 drops of tea tree oil on the hole surface. Icannot imagine, that a dog could die of this. And I cannot imagine, that any other deer would eat enough from this bark to die. Even because it is not in the forest.

I doubt very much that your villain is a dog. More likely a raccoon or other wild creature.

Regardless of what you put on the bark, your scent will still be there (particularly if you have spent a period of time at the cache site creating a scent pool) and that will attract dogs and other animals.