How would I log this - or would I?

radak9

OK, so I went after a cache today, it is a simple one, right off the road. There is a farm stand ~250ft from it that was crawling with people, but I could have probably still made the grab w/o being caught. The issue is that the are that it is in is about 20 feet from the shoulder, the first 10 feet of the grass is cut then the next ~10ft is waist high grass untouched all around GZ. This is a high tick area as well. SO I decided to leave it for now, one because of the ticks and 2 because there would be no way to get to the cache without leaving a trail right to it. The last option was to trailblaze ALL AROUND it :ph34r: but I would definitely need to go antibiotic for lyme :P

So, do I log this, if so, how? A Note, or DNF?

Thanks

OK, so I went after a cache today, it is a simple one, right off the road. There is a farm stand ~250ft from it that was crawling with people, but I could have probably still made the grab w/o being caught. The issue is that the are that it is in is about 20 feet from the shoulder, the first 10 feet of the grass is cut then the next ~10ft is waist high grass untouched all around GZ. This is a high tick area as well. SO I decided to leave it for now, one because of the ticks and 2 because there would be no way to get to the cache without leaving a trail right to it. The last option was to trailblaze ALL AROUND it :ph34r: but I would definitely need to go antibiotic for lyme :P

So, do I log this, if so, how? A Note, or DNF?

Thanks

How did the hider hide the cache without leaving a trail right to it? And how have other finders found it without leaving a trail right to it? It seems like you may have been looking at the wrong spot. Just a thought.

That's an interesting question, and I've asked myself the same thing. I've taken two different approaches, either not logging at all, or writing a note. There are a couple near my home that I've gone out looking for recently, but the mosquitoes were so bad, I decided not to venture into the woods to look for them. So, I just posted a note that I'd be back in the fall.

There really is no right or wrong answer, in my mind. But, if I don't actually look, I don't actually DNF. :P

How did the hider hide the cache without leaving a trail right to it? And how have other finders found it without leaving a trail right to it? It seems like you may have been looking at the wrong spot. Just a thought.

Good question. The description, the logs, and especially the hint lead to this spot and this spot only. The hint states a specific bush, which is actually 10' from my GPSr that states the cache is 12' away :P Also others have mentioned in logs about the growth. It was hidden 4/1/2006, and the area appears that it was mowed all the way to the bush at times, just not at this time.

I just went through the logs here, and someone posted this pic:

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/7af4a8...daea222b528.jpg

That was taken awhile ago. Today, the grass in the front is shorter and the grass at the bush area is a bit higher and a bit more toward the road. The farm stand is about 200 ft to the rear of this vehicle and is right on the shoulder.

Edited by radak9

I'd log a DNF. I hunted the cache and didn't find it. The reason is irrelevant. Some people might feel a note is warranted rather than a DNF. It's basically up to you, but you should at least log something.

I recently had a cacher log a DNF on a cache because they couldn't find the parking area. The one cache that they did find is probably a tenth of a mile to the trailhead to my cache. I personally would have rather seen a posted note that said they didn't look for it then to have an added DNF to a cache that's found 3 or 4 times a year. It makes the next few cachers think twice unless they scan the logs for the reason a DNF was used. Some do, some don't. Swizzle

Good question. The description, the logs, and especially the hint lead to this spot and this spot only. The hint states a specific bush, which is actually 10' from my GPSr that states the cache is 12' away :P Also others have mentioned in logs about the growth. It was hidden 4/1/2006, and the area appears that it was mowed all the way to the bush at times, just not at this time.

I just went through the logs here, and someone posted this pic:

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/7af4a8...daea222b528.jpg

That was taken awhile ago. Today, the grass in the front is shorter and the grass at the bush area is a bit higher and a bit more toward the road. The farm stand is about 200 ft to the rear of this vehicle and is right on the shoulder.

I would just go for it. Any trail you might leave will likely go away very soon. A good example of how caches can be "off trail" and the evidence of searches vanishes quickly.

:P-->

QUOTE(R.O.B @ Aug 24 2009, 06:01 PM) 4042758[/snapback]

Forget the cache.

I want to know what that thing is in the background.

Yes, what is that thing?

As for logging I would write a note, or nothing at all. Like previously said, logging a DNF when you didn't actually get out and search may put off future cache finders.

:P--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(R.O.B @ Aug 24 2009, 06:01 PM) 4042758[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Forget the cache.

Yes, what is that thing?

As for logging I would write a note, or nothing at all. Like previously said, logging a DNF when you didn't actually get out and search may put off future cache finders.

I doubt this would be a problem except for thos who cache "paperless" and don't bother to actually read the cache page and recent logs. A DNF as explained here would be good info in my opinion.

Forget the cache.

:PStargazer : a 70 foot steel and plywood sculpture

I would just go for it. Any trail you might leave will likely go away very soon. A good example of how caches can be "off trail" and the evidence of searches vanishes quickly.
Another, place and time and I will :ph34r: I probably won't be back to this one for awhile, if at all. I had to take a trip out east which I don't normally do, so I threw a few easy close to teh road caches to hit on the way back, was in business casual clothing at the time, so hiking, bushwacking was not in the plans, just a couple easy ones.

But forgetting this particular cache. If for some reason a cache is not obtainable due to a temporary issue, I'm guessing a note would probably be better to log, rather than a DNF. I'm sure that if I would have ventured into this to take a look, I would have found it as it has no DNF's, and I actually didn't DNF, I just couldn't get to the spot.

:o

Forget the cache.

:PStargazer : a 70 foot steel and plywood sculpture

Another, place and time and I will :ph34r: I probably won't be back to this one for awhile, if at all. I had to take a trip out east which I don't normally do, so I threw a few easy close to teh road caches to hit on the way back, was in business casual clothing at the time, so hiking, bushwacking was not in the plans, just a couple easy ones.

But forgetting this particular cache. If for some reason a cache is not obtainable due to a temporary issue, I'm guessing a note would probably be better to log, rather than a DNF. I'm sure that if I would have ventured into this to take a look, I would have found it as it has no DNF's, and I actually didn't DNF, I just couldn't get to the spot.

:o

In your situation I have typically posted a note as well. Sometimes a DNF. No clear cut definition for me.

:ph34r:--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(R.O.B @ Aug 24 2009, 06:01 PM) 4042758[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Forget the cache.

Yes, what is that thing?

I doubt this would be a problem except for thos who cache "paperless" and don't bother to actually read the cache page and recent logs. A DNF as explained here would be good info in my opinion.

Back to the FAQ's to get my "how to qoute in forums" lesson all learned! :P

If I go hunt a cache and get within a reasonable distance I log it. How I log it depends on a several factors. I've aborted a hide due to approaching severe weather (lots of 'widow makers' in trees out in the woods around here from a fall 2008 wind storm, and a winter 2009 ice storm) and I've aborted when I got close but didn't feel up to the challenge.

If I made an honest attempt at the cache and aborted for weather or not feeling up to the challnge I would likely log a note (anectdotal).

If I got within 50 feet of the cache and couldn't find it, or aborted due to muggles I would log a DNF.

Not so much rules for me as guidelines, but if I make an attempt on a cache and get anywhere close to it (or attempt at least one part of a multi) then I log it one way or another.

Remember that a DNF isn't a mark of shame - just a little blue frownie that will remind you that you need to go back out for the smiley.

This weekend was a great example. I had a cache that I approached and felt about 99% sure was hidden in the post of a parking sign (small PVC post with pvc post cap). It was situated between two cafe tables on a sidewalk. The tables were both filled with caffeine hungry muggles having their Sunday brunch and lattes. We walked up and noted the beaering arrow on our trusty Oregon 400t pointing right at the sign. Knowing we couldn't make an attempt on it we just tapped our way on the GPSr to the next nearest and moved along. I was going to log my story as a DNF with detailed explanation of why when I got home. Lucky for me however, as we were passing through town our our way home I noticed the tables were all empty as the cafe was getting ready to close. I pulled over and darted to the sign, and pulled the cap. Yep, there it was - - - extracted the log, signed, and returned to the Jeep to mark it as found.

I'd log a DNF. I hunted the cache and didn't find it. The reason is irrelevant. Some people might feel a note is warranted rather than a DNF. It's basically up to you, but you should at least log something.

I recently had a cacher log a DNF on a cache because they couldn't find the parking area. The one cache that they did find is probably a tenth of a mile to the trailhead to my cache. I personally would have rather seen a posted note that said they didn't look for it then to have an added DNF to a cache that's found 3 or 4 times a year. It makes the next few cachers think twice unless they scan the logs for the reason a DNF was used. Some do, some don't. Swizzle

I probably would have done the same thing. When hunt a cache I ask myself two questions. Did I start the hunt? Did I find the cache? If the answer is yes to the first, and no to the second, I log a DNF.

The way I see it, I start the hunt the instant I plug in the coordinates and hit GO TO on my GPS. Can't find parking? DNF.

I recall one cache that had a bunch of DNFs and a bunch of finds. The DNFs mostly involved the lack of parking. It made me aware that access could be an issue and led me to check the maps and determine

an appropriate access point. Thankfully those who couldn't find parking logged their DNFS or I might not have known that I should change my approach to the cache.

This has pretty much already been covered here. Because this game isn't ACTUALLY about numbers, the type of log matters little to the finders "score". DNF's help the CO in many aspects, but only if the hunter actually LOOKED for the cache. Notes can do the same thing. Myself, in this specific situation....first, I would have just barreled on in & found the cache. Bugs, snakes & weeds don't concern me. :P I WOULDN'T have looked for it if peoples was a problem, as you stated. I would have came back later. I also wouldn't have worried about making a geo-trail. I would have TRIED to tread lightly, but hey....if he put a cache here, he should have considered that finders might potentially make anobvious trail to the location. Remember, I'm saying this as an active hider also. If I'm concerned about a trail being made to my cache, giving away it's location to non-geo'rs, I put it somewhere else.

But basically, if I go to where my GPS says it's at & look for the cache, it's actually logged....Found, DNF, needs maintanance, whatever applies. I may add in the description something about "I just looked for 2 seconds, but was scared of the weeds, so then ran off back to the car"....if that's what I actually did. I most likely WOULDN'T have actually said, "Weeds need cut", since I don't consider nature to be an actual obstacle. There's no rule that caches CAN'T be placed in the middle of a briar patch....just part of the game. I MIGHT have added, "Dang those weeds were tall"

If I decide to not actually hunt for it.....too many peoples, scared of the weeds & what they might contain, etc., then it's logged as a note, with the pertinent info included.