Never Cache along again!

I was caching the other day, and it occured to me how cool it would be if I could chat with other Geocachers while I was out there. So, I created this service on Upoc, found here at Geocaching Live. You sign up for free, and when you are out there, cachin' you can send a text message to other Cachers to chat, get help, suggestions or maybe even chat with the FTF for the cache you are working on for help!

Let me know what you think. Lovin' this!

KarlWireless

:rolleyes::huh:

I was caching the other day, and it occured to me how cool it would be if I could chat with other Geocachers while I was out there. So, I created this service on Upoc, found here at Geocaching Live. You sign up for free, and when you are out there, cachin' you can send a text message to other Cachers to chat, get help, suggestions or maybe even chat with the FTF for the cache you are working on for help!

KarlWireless

Ah, the "lifeline" / "phone-a-friend" approach to caching takes a new jump from voice to data. Great. Sorry. See the sig line.

KarlWireless

:huh::D

Ah, the "lifeline" / "phone-a-friend" approach to caching takes a new jump from voice to data. Great. Sorry. See the sig line.

Yeah, sorry Karl, I don't think you'll get too much support for a "text-a-friend" spoiler hint service in these forums. Not that their wouldn't be interest in such a thing, just you won't see any kudos here. :rolleyes: The website sounds very interesting though, I'll have to see what else they have available.

When I set up my GC.com/Twitter/Facebook accounts to show the caches I have found as I find them, I found that I was getting a lot of texts as I was out caching. It's cool, because every cache hunt has the potential to become a discussion thread on my facebook/twitter page. I find one cache...and as soon as I post the Fieldnote, I start getting replied via facebook from my facebook friends..then before long we might be posting comments about things. It has certainly enriched my own caching experience.

I don't see that service as 'spoiler only'. It's more like on-trail live chat.

Always have to give me a hard time, eh? :rolleyes: Yeah, perhaps I was a bit fast to jump on the bandwagon of the first response. Maybe Karl can come back and describe some of the things we could do with this text service.

KarlWireless

Nah, that isn't the idea. It ISN'T about spoilers, it is just about community. I'd love a ping when somebody is checking out one of my hides.

Anyways, anyone interested, please go sign up

Call me a skeptic, but when I see a post by someone that has been a member for 18 days, has 10 hides published in the past 18 days, and 12 finds, and then comes here and posts a link to a great new caching concept, proclaiming loudly that "this is not spam", spam is the first thing that comes to mind. I don 't know how or if you can make money from this, but it does not strike me as an honest attempt to add to the activity. Tastes like spam to me. If I'm wrong, I apologize ahead of time.

Call me a skeptic, but when I see a post by someone that has been a member for 18 days, has 10 hides published in the past 18 days, and 12 finds, and then comes here and posts a link to a great new caching concept, proclaiming loudly that "this is not spam", spam is the first thing that comes to mind. I don 't know how or if you can make money from this, but it does not strike me as an honest attempt to add to the activity. Tastes like spam to me. If I'm wrong, I apologize ahead of time.

Um, well yea, apology accepted.

Lame.

Karlwireless

Lame.

Karlwireless

Nah...I kind of see what he's saying. knowschad hints toward what I was thinking. I've got 170 finds and still don't feel experienced enough to hide anything...it just wouldn't feel right for me to put anything out into the community without knowing the full scope of what hiding is. I think I'll have a true feel for all of this after about 400. Maybe I'll hide a couple before then, but not many.

It's just hard to respect an idea, regardless of how good it might be, if it isn't seasoned. That's not necessarily closed-mindedness, just solid rationale.

I mean, I didn't even SEE a nano until around my 70th hide. And I've still only seen around 3. One was an absolute booger of a hide and that's the one that's going to inspire my subsequent hides. I barely remember my first 12.

It's possible it's a great idea, but I'd want all the details to be fleshed out by seasoned vets. I asked on the forums what new GPS I should buy, and got a lot of "Oregon" responses, but when I asked the people in my state who had multiple-thousands of finds, they all said Garmin GPSmap 60csx because of how solid it was, and I know I made the right choice.

Many probably just won't jump on board until you've at least gotten your feet wet, but that's just common sense.

Lame.

Karlwireless

Lame?

Come on... unless there are extenuating circumstances that you have not explained, you hid your first cache the day you joined, less than 3 weeks before you come here and try to convince people to join a website that you created just for your geocaching buddies? No... I don't think my suspicions are lame by any stretch. They may be wrong, and I'm willing to admit that... but I believe that there is enough smoke for me to suspect fire.

Lame.

Karlwireless

Lame?

Come on... unless there are extenuating circumstances that you have not explained, you hid your first cache the day you joined, less than 3 weeks before you come here and try to convince people to join a website that you created just for your geocaching buddies? No... I don't think my suspicions are lame by any stretch. They may be wrong, and I'm willing to admit that... but I believe that there is enough smoke for me to suspect fire.

It just really takes me off guard, I suppose. I'm just a social person and I'm out here trying to make friends in the caching community, and get involved (check other threads if you care to) and to be accused of being a Bot, for lack of another word, just was like a flap in the face, that's all. As far as experience goes, I'm in the city, and the caches I have been hiding have been along areas that I have lived in and around for years....they're great hides! I've ordered Travel Bugs, have my daughter designing a family and friend coin we want to make, ordered a TINY TINY stamp with my name too. If I'm to be accused of anything it is jumping in and not testing the waters. OH well.

(And this from somebody with a Dog wearing glasses on the profile) :rolleyes: Maybe I will put MY poodle's photo up and get some respect :huh:

All in good fun -

Karlwireless (really, yes, really a person)

Lame.

Karlwireless

Lame?

It just really takes me off guard, I suppose. I'm just a social person and I'm out here trying to make friends in the caching community, and get involved (check other threads if you care to) and to be accused of being a Bot, for lack of another word, just was like a flap in the face, that's all. As far as experience goes, I'm in the city, and the caches I have been hiding have been along areas that I have lived in and around for years....they're great hides! I've ordered Travel Bugs, have my daughter designing a family and friend coin we want to make, ordered a TINY TINY stamp with my name too. If I'm to be accused of anything it is jumping in and not testing the waters. OH well.

(And this from somebody with a Dog wearing glasses on the profile) :rolleyes: Maybe I will put MY poodle's photo up and get some respect :huh:

All in good fun -

Karlwireless (really, yes, really a person)

I have no idea what's up with the dog with glasses, but he really is a friend of some guy named Chad. I remember the story. It's a strange story too.

Good thing Chad's friend was polite. I think I see what's happening here. This is not a website you created, but a free (most likely ad-driven) service. It would be no different than you saying you created a Yahoo Group for any certain geographic area.

So what happens if I join this, and send a text message to the designated short number? Everyone who joins this LiveGeocaching group gets the text message? Sort of like a text messaging chat room?

OK, let me rephrase this:

Welcome to geocaching. I think that it is an amazing accomplishment that not only have you hidden almost as many caches in 18 days as you have found in 18 days as a geocacher, but that your first hide occurred on the same day as your first find, (as far as we know... unless your current account is a sock puppet) but that in that same two weeks and 4 days have managed to create a website that will revolutionize our caching experience. Most people, after 18 days, are asking questions like, "what's an FTF?", and so on, so I am truely amazed at how far you have come in so little time.

I am TOTALLY willing to admit that I was mistaken about your intentions, but I will not admit that I had no reason to be suspicious.

Edited by knowschad

So what happens if I join this, and send a text message to the designated short number? Everyone who joins this LiveGeocaching group gets the text message? Sort of like a text messaging chat room?

Everyone?

Here's some metadata from the web site mentioned...

handle: LiveCaching

#members: 1

type: public

sorry, karl, but

yougotserved.jpg

Whatever. I'm not thick skinned enough to deal with people that are those going off at me here. Enjoy your time. I'm gone.

My apologies...I just REALLY like using that picture whenever I can. :-/ I probably shouldn't have, in retrospect.

But it still makes me laugh. :-/

Actually, I think it was a textbook response.

:rolleyes: And I am STILL laughing about it.

Whatever. I'm not thick skinned enough to deal with people that are those going off at me here. Enjoy your time. I'm gone.

I can't speak for the others, but I think that I posted thoughtful responses that I hope clearly stated the reasons for my skepticism and gave you ample opportuntity to answer my questions.

I can't speak for the others, but I think that I posted thoughtful responses that I hope clearly stated the reasons for my skepticism and gave you ample opportuntity to answer my questions.

WOW, a premium member comes in here to ask an opinion of a service and you go off on him?

And you accuse ME of jumping to conclusions....

All you had to do is stay on topic and respond. Why did you feel the need to say what you did?

Personally, I don't see the "service" as anything I would use.

WOW, a premium member comes in here to ask an opinion of a service and you go off on him?

All you had to do is stay on topic and respond. Why did you feel the need to say what you did?

Back off! I posted respectfully and I freely admitted that I could be wrong. Your constant attacks at anything I post are getting very tiresome to me and to others.

Edited by knowschad

1) "Premium Member" only means that I paid the subscription fee. Nothing more.

2) I have never ever accused you of "jumping to conclusions"

3) I was on topic. You are not.

4) I felt the need to say what I did because I felt the need to say what I did. I don't need to answer to you about that reason.

I get the feeling that knowschad was speaking from the heart/gut and was just honest about his thoughts. It is difficult when we aren't face-to-face to respond back and forth sometimes. Offence is sometimes taken where none was meant. Maybe the "new" cacher has changed names and started caching again from zero, or is just enthusiastic. I don't see why they left...I would have just ignored the thread. We are all different, I suppose. I have to admit I am wary having had two computer viruses and links to undesirable sites when I was on a cat forum!! And it wasn't cat p###!!

Pat

1) "Premium Member" only means that I paid the subscription fee. Nothing more.

2) I have never ever accused you of "jumping to conclusions"

3) I was on topic. You are not.

4) I felt the need to say what I did because I felt the need to say what I did. I don't need to answer to you about that reason.

CAT FIGHT!!!

cat-fight-2.jpg

Aww man, How'd I involve myself in this drama? I think Karl is a little over enthusiastic, hiding 10 caches in 17 days, plopping keyholders on phone booths, creating "live geocaching" on some free website. And Knowschad has every right to be suspicious of this live geocaching thing. I lost my train of thought, what are we talking about here? :rolleyes:

I was caching the other day, and it occured to me how cool it would be if I could chat with other Geocachers while I was out there.

Cell phones.

If your cell phone works you're still too close to civilization.

This may be part of the problem. I've often looked at the history of geocaching. The early adopters were people who already owned an hand held GPS unit which they got for hiking, hunting, bicycle riding, etc. So the early geocaches tended to be out in the wilderness requiring a hike or a bike ride someplace. Even those left near a road in an urban or suburban area tended to be at locations that were some place you might go travel some distance to see. Later adopters, heard about geoaching and thought this was something they might find interesting. They began to hide caches in more mundane urban locations because they wanted to have more caches nearby to find when they got the urge to find one. These people pushed the GPS manufacturers to add geocaching features and developed ways to geocache paperless. The current new crop of geocachers are people with the latest smartphone devices. They are people who like to always be connected to others and find the social networking capabilities of their devices valuable. When these devices started to have GPS capability, the users began to share their location with friends and even make new friends by finding someone with similar interest nearby. When these people find a geocaching application for their device, they may very well become instantly addicted to geocaching. Particularly with all the urban hides already out there they have plenty to start with. But they soon realize that they will find all the caches in their area, so they hide more urban hides nearby and may start doing this right way. This is fine for themselves and for the generation of numbers caches, but likely to get complaints from long time cachers about more MicroSpew. It is also natural for the new people to think of integrating their new hobby with the social networking applications they are already using. Creating a mobile online geocaching community, they can find others to go geoaching with, get recommendations from others on caches to go find, and get hints on caches they are having trouble finding - not much different from the phone-a-friend system many already use.

Those from prior generations of geocaching often complain that the newbies are ruining this sport. My attitude is that they are adding something to it. It may not be something I like, but I can ignore this guy's caches (sort of as they happen to be closest unfound to my home right now). I know I don't have to join his mobile chat. I probably don't even have a phone that is compatible with it. I'm willing to let him advertise here because it doesn't appear he is making any money off of this. It could be that Groundspeak has plans to do somethings in this vein. They did surprise me with the iPhone app and they have the abillity to twitter your field notes. They may have some objection if this were to siphon business from something they are planning to do but more likely they would see this as something that can supplement whatever their plans are.

I get the feeling that knowschad was speaking from the heart/gut and was just honest about his thoughts. It is difficult when we aren't face-to-face to respond back and forth sometimes. Offence is sometimes taken where none was meant. Maybe the "new" cacher has changed names and started caching again from zero, or is just enthusiastic. I don't see why they left...I would have just ignored the thread. We are all different, I suppose. I have to admit I am wary having had two computer viruses and links to undesirable sites when I was on a cat forum!! And it wasn't cat p###!!

Pat

Still, he was much ruder than he needed to be.

Pat

If that's true, then I'm probably spending too much time on these forums. Rudeness was not my intent. A post was made, I thought I sensed something fishy, and I spoke my mind.

The only thing I sensed was an eager rookie who thought that other people would be as interested in chatting with other cachers (electronically). While I am not as social as he is, others might like this option. I saw no need to chase him away.

We each sensed something different. That happens.

I saw no need to chase him away.

If someone is going to hang out in these forums, they need thick skin, they need to be slow to anger, and they need to not take comments personally. If a person is wired like that, then these forums can be very informative (and sometimes entertaining).

The OP is certainly a newbie, and he may have had a good idea. I don't know, and won't be able to know, since he not only left the forums, but he also took his toys with him. "Group LiveCaching does not exist" is what his link now produces.

Rather than being "chased away" from the forum, I think the OP just wasn't running on the voltage it takes to last around here. If KC's questioning of the OP's motives (and KC did say up front that he could be wrong) was all it took for the OP to fold his tents and take his toys with him, then he wouldn't have made it here for very long anyway.

Sometimes people rethink their geocide, take a more objective view, and return to being involved. Hopefully the OP will learn from this, and do just that. IF KC's comments could have been worded more graciously, then maybe he will pick up a new view toward dealing with newbies, as well.

When I set up my GC.com/Twitter/Facebook accounts to show the caches I have found as I find them, I found that I was getting a lot of texts as I was out caching. It's cool, because every cache hunt has the potential to become a discussion thread on my facebook/twitter page. I find one cache...and as soon as I post the Fieldnote, I start getting replied via facebook from my facebook friends..then before long we might be posting comments about things. It has certainly enriched my own caching experience.

How do you set it up with your Facebook?

I saw no need to chase him away.

If someone is going to hang out in these forums, they need thick skin, they need to be slow to anger, and they need to not take comments personally.

Actually, I am NOT a member of the "thick skin" school of thought in these forums. I'd rather see this be a kinder, gentler place than it is, especially for newcomers. I'm sure I could have been more tactful than I was, but in this case I do not regret the point that I was trying to make.

Actually, I am NOT a member of the "thick skin" school of thought in these forums. I'd rather see this be a kinder, gentler place than it is, especially for newcomers. I'm sure I could have been more tactful than I was, but in this case I do not regret the point that I was trying to make.

The OP was the one who noted "I'm not thick skinned enough to deal with.....".

From a practical standpoint, thick skin and a "think before replying" approach is helpful in almost all public forums, not just this one. It would be wonderful if the forum atmosphere was such that it wasn't needed, but until we reach that point, durability is an important tool to have in your forum kit.

Edited by WebChimp

The OP was the one who noted "I'm not thick skinned enough to deal with.....".

From a practical standpoint, thick skin and a "think before replying" approach is helpful in almost all public forums, not just this one. It would be wonderful if the forum atmosphere was such that it wasn't needed, but until we reach that point, durability is an important tool to have in your forum kit.

That should not be a tool that an excited and positive noob should need to carry with him.

Pat

MUCH!!

What some people fail to realize when they participate in the forums is that the person on the other end may have a completely different personality than you think.

They might be 90 years old and full of the experiences that develop a thick skin or they might be 14 years old and have knowledge but less wisdon to cope with the attitudes of adults on forums.

In this particular instance, lets play a scenario.

Lets say the OP is a younger male who was recently dumped by his high school GF. His support friends give him advice to "get a hobby" to help ease the pain, and maybe meet some people.

So the new adult looks online for an activiy that would fit the bill and finds geocaching. He goes out and finds a couple geocaches and is totally hooked.

He has lots of free time now and needs an outlet for the angst he feels and decides to hide a bunch for others. (maybe he even knows a geocacher or few that said it was lots of fun to hide).

So without finding a lot of caches, he hides a few and comes up with an idea to help make more friends and make caching more fun. He is totally enthused about the idea and ventures into the geocaching forum to ask for input.

And what did he get for his enthusiastic efforts? A reply from someone who is "skeptical" and they post this http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=229508#

Followed by a few more "skeptical" posts.

Now, how would you feel if you were a new geocacher?

You see, some "experienced" cachers won't give a new poster the benefit of the doubt. What is odd is they actually treat the newer members with much less respect than the experienced members/posters.

I think the experienced posters need to remember that the newBees are not the enemy. newBees need support, not criticism. Being a newBee is not a badge of shame as many elitists want to believe. Stop thinking of them as noob, newb, or any other derogatory classification as you have seen so many times. Treat them as someone who looks up to you and respects your knowledge and experience. Be a mentor, not a bully.

Be helpful, not hurtful.

~off the soapbox~

Thanks for the mentoring, Bittsen. I will try to do better in the future.

I assume you were trying to draw a comparison?

The person in that thread has been a member for 4 years, not 2 week. There is no comparison.

You are welcome for the lesson.

Ah, I see. Its OK to chase off users that have stuck it out for 4 years. That never would have occurred to me if you hadn't pointed it out. I owe you one.

Pat

If that's true, then I'm probably spending too much time on these forums. Rudeness was not my intent. A post was made, I thought I sensed something fishy, and I spoke my mind.

And from my experience a hound dog usually has a pretty good sense of smell.

And from my experience a hound dog usually has a pretty good sense of smell.

Wag! Wag! Happy happy happy! Bark! :( Seriously, thanks for the support! :D

Since the OP hasn't been heard of for a while, there's probably no harm in my mentioning what I sniffed out. The OP not only hid his first cache on the very day he joined, but within the week , he created a geocaching organization and website (currently with two members besides himself. This must be the first in the Los Angeles area?) Googling his name will reveal over 12 pages of hits (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I did a little research, and I knew before I posted my first reply that we were not talking about a 90 year old man or a high school male that recently got dumped by his girlfriend as has recently been suggested in a fictional account intended primarily to demean me rather than to support the OP. We're talking about a middle aged insurance salesman (not that there's anything wrong with that!) that is connected to every tech site that he can find (not that there's anything wrong with that, either!), and, I'm guessing here, is hoping to get an easy slice of the financial pie (not that there's anything wrong with that). I don't think he was ever interested in geocaching. He was interested in the geocaching dollar.

Is that wrong? No! Of course not! OK... he wasn't the first geocaching intrepeneur to hit the scenes. Not by a long shot. But at least be up-front about it. I don't like BS and I tend to be very quick about calling people on it when I think I sense it.

I did what I did, what I did, and I said what I said. If I was wrong... sometimes that happens. But really, I don't think so, and I'm not going to sit by passively and let myself be badmouthed by a couple of opportunists that are generally much ruder in these forums than I every was in this situation!

Edited by knowschad