Geocoin copying?

swizzle

I was just wondering if it is possible to duplicate a geocoin. I'm not talking about making my own for sending around the world. I'm talking about making copies to keep. I love the unique designs on a lot of geocoins that I've found. I know I'd love to keep each one but I know how much it would suck to have someone keep your personal coins that are meant for travel. Would it be kosher to make an obvious copy of a geocoin for a collection? Maybe a rubbing on a piece of paper would be more approperiate? Or a reverse impression in plaster of paris? Just something for a scrapbook. Any other thoughts or suggestions? I almost think if it was easy to make a decent replica of geocoins that a lot of them might find their way back into circulation. Swizzle

I can't think of any reason why this would be a problem as long as your replication method didn't damage the real coin.

I suppose I could also take a pic of both sides and have a seperate folder just for geocoins on my computer. I like the idea of a 3-d piece a little better. Top priority for me would be how to duplicate it without damaging it. I probably should have posted this in the geocoin forum. Sorry about that. Swizzle

I don't think anyone would have any problem with you making copies. Only thing is, i wouldn't think there would be an easy way to make them like you are wanting. I know it's not the same but would photographing the coins work? That way you would get an exact copy, down to details and the various colors used on geocoins these days...

I saw a fake geocoin in circulation that looked nearly real. The owner copied both sides of the coin in high resolution, printed them on photo paper. He then cut out the "coin", glued it to an identical sized washer and enclosed the who thing inside one of those round, hard plastic coin holders that some geocoins come in.

It looked so real I had to do a triple take before I realized it was a fascimilie.

I saw a fake geocoin in circulation that looked nearly real. The owner copied both sides of the coin in high resolution, printed them on photo paper. He then cut out the "coin", glued it to an identical sized washer and enclosed the who thing inside one of those round, hard plastic coin holders that some geocoins come in.

It looked so real I had to do a triple take before I realized it was a fascimilie.

What do you suppose the cost of such a facsimile might be? (photo paper, washer, coin holder)? At least if people are going to send out proxies, it sure beats a laminated 300dpi scan.

I think that's the best idea I've heard yet. I've got to try it. I just hope my printer can do the coins justice. I think the toughest part would be getting the print and the washer sizes to match. I wouldn't really care if they were a little bigger or smaller then the original. That's definately a cool idea. You could also make your own geocoins like that and keep the original. Make a few copies just in case someone does steal the first copy. I like it. Swizzle

I don't think anyone would have any problem with you making copies. Only thing is, i wouldn't think there would be an easy way to make them like you are wanting. I know it's not the same but would photographing the coins work? That way you would get an exact copy, down to details and the various colors used on geocoins these days...

Actually I might have a problem with it. If someone were to take pictures of any of my coins in the wild to make a facsimile to keep, I would want the tracking numbers obliterated on the copy.

Edited by LadyBee4T

What do you suppose the cost of such a facsimile might be? (photo paper, washer, coin holder)? At least if people are going to send out proxies, it sure beats a laminated 300dpi scan.

I have some similar to these except I found some very heavy advertising poker chips and use those instead of washers. Cost with the case, color copy (done at a store because the printer I had sucked!), and the poker chip ended up around $2. The responses have been decent. Some people don't realize it's a proxy without reading the name/page, others realize it and still like them. Only one or two logs have said they would have preferred to see the real coin.. However, some have still gone missing so I'm not sure if it helps but at least it's cheaper than losing a $10 coin!

If more proxies were like this, I think they would be more accepted. Sounds great.

Anytime you want to make a copy of anything, you should ask the owner. Especially when it comes to artwork, and these coins are someone's artwork. A photo album might your best bet, but don't share the tracking numbers with anyone. To log a trackable, one should see it in person themselves. Virtual logging can get the trackable item locked, as it is considered abuse of the geocaching.com website. (Just an FYI)

Thanx for all of the info guys. I'll definately make sure to get permission from all coin owners as well as blacking out the tracking numbers. I can see the problem with your "new to cachin" buddy coming over and gathering the numbers off of a couple hundred geocoins and lockin a bunch of them up without realizing he's doing anything wrong. Thanx, Swizzle