why does it take so long...

kissguy&frannyfru

why does it take so long for a cache to get published after its submitted?

not complaining or anything just wondering. Seems like 3 days for someone to look

over the submission and hit a button is a little long.

Up to 72 hours is about the norm. I think it's mentioned in the guidelines..

not complaining or anything just wondering. Seems like 3 days for someone to look

I realize that reviewers are paid a princely salary and kept well fed with the finest dog biscuits around, but they do have other things in their life to do. Sometimes that involves finding caches, or playing freebee with the owner. Some have long queues and need to address those before they get to yours. They might even need to check to see if your cache is in conflict with saturation guidelines, check to see if it not placed in an area where caches are not allowed and any number of other items. Good grief, they might even be on vacation. 3 days is certainly not outside the limits.

Jim

Three days is a little long "for someone to look over the submission and hit a button". But that's if yours is the ONLY cache in the reviewer's queue. Most reviewers cover huge areas, and many publish several caches every day.

Even so, pushing all the way to the 72-hour limit is fairly rare. Most are published within a day, unless there are problems.

Because reviewers are actually real people - I've even met some of them!!! :)

They have actual jobs that pay money that they have to go to, and families that they need to care for and other community commitments, and some times they get sick, or tired or go on vacation or possibly even like to spend some of their own time finding and placing caches..... fancy that!!!!

Annie

My first cache enlightened me on this topic quite a bit. First I'll say I understand your eagerness. . . I had to work hard to curb my enthusiasm during the wait for review and publishing too.

My first cache was recently placed in a state park with established guidelines and rule for caches that I followed (I got them from the reviewer's profile actually, and also discussed with a ranger).

What you have to remember is that when you are hiding in a new area (or even are a new hider) that you have to allow time for the reviewer to verify that you have the proper permissions. I even forwarded the e-mail I got from our park manager along to the reviewer and posted a reviewer note on the cache page.

However the reviewer had the same difficulty catching the manager that I did by phone or even e-mail. Remember anyone can craft a bogus e-mail so sometimes just reviewing the cache page is only part of the review process. Sometimes getting in touch with the land owner/manager is necessary too.

On the up side - my next cache was published with a few hours of when I submitted it. Hidden in the same park with an e-mail given indicating it was still OK to place caches - and it was live with an FTF landing on it just after daybreak (area close at night).

I truly apprecate what the reviewers do. They ensure that hides are within the guidelines and that the integrity of the hobby is in tact, land managers and property owners are happy and we all have lots of new caches to find.

I placed my new cache in replacement of one of my other caches, and the new one is a multi. I put in the way points for the second and final stage (first stage was the main cords on the page),boy did that mess things up. I got the note(from the reviewer) to add my first stage as a waypoint also(which I did right away) and replied to his email address like he asked. that was 3 days ago and I cannot get any reply from my reviewer. I understand that they have personal lives and jobs just like the rest of us, but a simple reply would be great letting people know when it might get done. I never thought it would be done in minutes ,but after 3 days with no answer it gets a little frustrating. The cache is on my property replacing a cache that I disabled to put this one up.

What can someone do in a case like this? Is there a way to get a different reviewer to look at it? Any help would be great

Double check to be sure that you have checked the box on the cache page indicating that it is ACTIVE.

Send a polite reminder email to the reviewer.

And be patient. Remember that the reviewers are volunteers and that they are most likely also reviewing other caches. Or there may be some real life issues involved with the reviewer.

I dont know if it makes a difference once the reviewers get familiar with cachers or not but we have a reviewer here that the 1st several of my caches it took a day or so to post now I submit & they are up quickly. Yesterday I submitted 3 new caches (1 mico, 1 reg, 1 multi) & when I was back online about 3 hours later they were up. WOW great Job!

I dont know if it makes a difference once the reviewers get familiar with cachers or not but we have a reviewer here that the 1st several of my caches it took a day or so to post now I submit & they are up quickly. Yesterday I submitted 3 new caches (1 mico, 1 reg, 1 multi) & when I was back online about 3 hours later they were up. WOW great Job!

Its all a matter of timing. If you submit your cache while the reviewer is actively working on the queue it could be a matter of minutes before it is published. I've had some published while I was still working on the page.