mobile phone website, but not the wap one

scottpa100

Hi,

Sometimes when I access Gc.com via my mobile (a nokia 5800 xpressmusic) I get a 'mobilised' version of gc.com. Importantly, not the wap one. I can never successfully login into it. Other times when I access gc.com via my mibile the normsl PC website appears. And I can log into it via my mobile.

So does anyone know what the state if play is?

Us their a URL for the mobile one, I've made a guess at http://mobile.geocaching.com but that doesn't do anything.

Any info appreciated!

Scott

Hi,

Sometimes when I access Gc.com via my mobile (a nokia 5800 xpressmusic) I get a 'mobilised' version of gc.com. Importantly, not the wap one. I can never successfully login into it. Other times when I access gc.com via my mibile the normsl PC website appears. And I can log into it via my mobile.

Us their a URL for the mobile one, I've made a guess at http://mobile.geocaching.com but that doesn't do anything.

Any info appreciated!

Scott

This could be a special version which is served by the same address. It is possible to both define a different layout with css (missing out some elements, using smaller images etc). The second option is to check the user agent of the device accessing and pass that a mobilised version too. As such, there doesn't neccesarily need to be specific address. You can sometimes notice this with a few sites (engadget is one I use reguarly) that it shows you the mobile version but there's a link to something like "full web version". Going to this normally adds "&mobile=false" or something similar to the address.

Hi,

Any info appreciated!

Scott

Possibly the 'mobilised' version is some conversion done by the proxy server at your cellular provider?

I have used it on my Asus eeePC (800x480), and it looks good on there, but my phone runs at 480x360. My only thought is that they want to encourage the use of the iPhone app and Trimble outdoors (since those make them money), instead of making a version for mobile devices. Anymore it seem that nearly every web site that I visit, except GC.com, has a mobile friendly version.

Hi,

Any info appreciated!

Scott

Possibly the 'mobilised' version is some conversion done by the proxy server at your cellular provider?

If you access the site via a link on Google Mobile, Google will reformat the site on the fly for mobile viewing. However, links that require javascript will not function. Works well for looking up individual pages, though.

I am quite intrigued by this. I've been praying to the Flying Spaghetti Monster every night before I go to bed in hopes of a mobile (non WAP) version of Geocaching.com for the last 4 years. WAP is so 2001.

Please, please, please do not use my name in vain. My Pastafarians take their devotion quite seriously.

May all your dreams be filled with beer volcanoes and peace.