di you always have to leave something when you take something?

I have a cache where someone has replied that they took something and left nothing is that o.k.? :huh:

No, but there isn't much that you can do about it. If they are new, you might drop them a politely worded email explaining, but it probably isn't even worth it. Swag, unfortunately, diminishes.

We are just starting out as well but I wouldnt think so, I atleast have to leave my pen if I havenothing else to exchange at the time, or come back later if there's something I would like to have. If you take somethign and leave nothing pretty soon you have an empty cache, which is not what the owner had intended. :huh:

I have a cache where someone has replied that they took something and left nothing is that o.k.? :huh:

No, but there isn't much that you can do about it. If they are new, you might drop them a politely worded email explaining, but it probably isn't even worth it. Swag, unfortunately, diminishes.

They have 99 finds to their profile so thet should know better. They wrote ... "took the scout travel bug and left nothing" is their something about a travel bug that you don't need to leave something?

If it is a TB that they took to move to another location, it is OK.

Other than that, the only other situation I thought of where it is OK is when removing trash.

It was a travel bug so I guess it that answers that Thanks for the help :laughing:

I'm so angry right now :laughing:

No no no... you're going about it all wrong.

First, you start with an incident you experienced; but only tell part of the story.

Then you blame all those who do that for killing the fun in geocaching.

Finally you declare it is not in the spirit of geocaching.

:huh:

(sorry for the OT)

Fixed it for ya. :)

Yes, trackables are not swag. They march to the beat of a different drummer. :yikes:

Just today I went to a cache that had a TB listed in it. The CO said he put the TB in the cache when he hid it, but when I got there it was gone. At least twenty other cacher have visited, but nobody claims to have taken the TB.

What is up with these fools who can't seem to log a simple TB properly? Truly, this is killing the fun in Geocaching! If a TB is listed in the cache, I SHOULD EXPECT TO FIND IT THERE!

So sad that it has to be this way, not really in the spirit of Geocaching as I have come to understand it.

:huh:

They have 99 finds to their profile so thet should know better. They wrote ... "took the scout travel bug and left nothing" is their something about a travel bug that you don't need to leave something?

OOOOOHHHHHH!!! Okay. That's a bug of a different color!

Travel bugs and geocoins are 'travellers' and most DEFINATELY do not need to be traded. Their whole purpose in life is to be moved. If they have a goal, best to obey that goal. But the bottom line is that they are not "swag".

If I take a travel bug, i still leave something. Some times I leave things and take nothing. I haven't ever taken anything without leaving something, with the exception of a TB or 2, but for the most part I always like to leave something unless its a micro and has no swag. I especially like it when I can take a TB or GCoin and leave a TB or GCoin.

I hate bullswag. I don't know if that phrase has been coined or used yet, but that's what I call it when I find horrible swag like one time I found an empty used sandwich bag, or a plastic fork with a napkin from applebee's that was near the cache.

I also hate:

Business cards

Soda caps

empty packages

a few pennies especially if its in place of something worth a lot more then a few pennies

anything like those..... Its all BULLSWAG!!!

Edited by mchaos

Just today I went to a cache that had a TB listed in it. The CO said he put the TB in the cache when he hid it, but when I got there it was gone. At least twenty other cacher have visited, but nobody claims to have taken the TB.

What is up with these fools who can't seem to log a simple TB properly? Truly, this is killing the fun in Geocaching! If a TB is listed in the cache, I SHOULD EXPECT TO FIND IT THERE!

So sad that it has to be this way, not really in the spirit of Geocaching as I have come to understand it.

:laughing:

I sense sarcasm here...

When I find a trackable I grab it and move it along. I never go to a cache expecting to find said trackables, regardless of what may be listed on the cache page. I may HOPE to find a trackable though. :huh:

I hate bullswag. I don't know if that phrase has been coined or used yet, but that's what I call it when I find horrible swag like one time I found an empty used sandwich bag, or a plastic fork with a napkin from applebee's that was near the cache.

I also hate:

Business cards

Soda caps

empty packages

a few pennies especially if its in place of something worth a lot more then a few pennies

anything like those..... Its all BULLSWAG!!!

I hate that stuff too. Especially business cards. I call it geo-trash though I think I like bullswag better. Sometimes ammo cans are chock full of it. Its worse when the cache is a plastic container and all that paper and plastic is wet inside and crawling with slugs and bugs.

I always keep a pocket full of cool marbles and some dollar coins to leave in trade. When I first started caching, I didn't understand the trade even or trade up thing. I took a really pretty blue glass butterfly bead out of the first cache (micro) I ever found and left a dime or something like that. I always felt guilty for not leaving more and quickly got a swag bag together so I wouldn't make the same mistake again. Never have been guilty of leaving pennies except for one cache which was a penny exchange. I got a cool new Canadian penny out of that one.

I hate that stuff too. Especially business cards. I call it geo-trash though I think I like bullswag better. Sometimes ammo cans are chock full of it. Its worse when the cache is a plastic container and all that paper and plastic is wet inside and crawling with slugs and bugs.

I always keep a pocket full of cool marbles and some dollar coins to leave in trade. When I first started caching, I didn't understand the trade even or trade up thing. I took a really pretty blue glass butterfly bead out of the first cache (micro) I ever found and left a dime or something like that. I always felt guilty for not leaving more and quickly got a swag bag together so I wouldn't make the same mistake again. Never have been guilty of leaving pennies except for one cache which was a penny exchange. I got a cool new Canadian penny out of that one.

That was YOU that did that?

Just kidding. I'm sure many people made a few mistakes early in their geocaching history. I know I made a few.

Eventually they will read the "rules" and learn, or not care.

The good thing is you actually care about the trading. Don't beat yourself up over the one mistake.

That was YOU that did that?

Just kidding. I'm sure many people made a few mistakes early in their geocaching history. I know I made a few.

Eventually they will read the "rules" and learn, or not care.

The good thing is you actually care about the trading. Don't beat yourself up over the one mistake.

Yep, guilty as charged. I remember standing there with that beautiful glass thing in my hand thinking that that Something had sent me there that day, to that beautiful place to find that amazing cache and in it there was a blue butterfly/moth thing which has been my online tag name since Noah floated the ark, and was it ok for me to take? lol. I left the dime because that is all I had in my pocket. I knew enough to at least leave that because a couple months before I had done the PDX Necropolis hunt and had to bring something to trade in it. In fact, that anarchy cache and its owner were my first introduction to geocaching.

The polite thing to do is trade up or trade even.

I always like the logs that say something like "Took 3 widgets and a sprong, left a penny"

Nice - take 4 things and leave 1 - not to mention the value aspect. But it does happen.

Heck, it's worth the three widgets to get that darn sprong outta the cache. I hate it when people leave sprongs in a cache. It saps all the fun right outta the game. It just isn't in the spirit of geocaching.

How was that?

I haven't found very many caches yet, and still consider myself a total n00b. I usually don't trade, but if the cache is somewhere where kids are likely to find it, I'll almost always leave whatever change I have in my pocket just as a freebie, without taking anything. Is that cool or not? I can see how some would consider it "geojunk" but when I was a kid any money I found was like finding hidden treasure.