No luck on my first try

serpico007

Took the dog out for a walk finally since the rain stopped and decided to do my first cache. It's on my route every day with the dog so if I didn't find it today maybe another day.

Well, I didn't find it. Spent almost 30 minutes walking around and no luck. :unsure:

I'm sure every driver and pedestrian was looking at me. It was a micro cache so it probably is harder. But because it's only one block away from me, thought I would try it tonight.

I'm using Blackstar Navigator with my Storm. It got me to about 2 metres to the location but never any closer. Not sure if it's supposed to tell me if I'm right on or not.

Don't give up serpico007 - micros are tough. Use any clues, read the logs and think "where would I hide it?" We've taken longer to find a micro, and sometimes on the second or third visit we can't believe how we could have missed it. Your GPSr will get you to the vicinity, most times it involves widening your search area a bit...

Welcome to geocaching fellow BC-er!!!

Micros can be frustrating even for veteran geocachers. Another common mistake of novices is relying too much on the GPS. Your GPS has a margin of error of roughly 10-30 feet. So did the unit of the hider. So the cache can be as many as 60+ feet from where your GPS says to look. Most of the time it's within about 20 feet but if you concentrate on the area where your GPS is pointing you are likely to come up empty. Use where your GPS points as a starting point, but if you come up empty expand your search area.

Rather than relying on the GPS, rely on your common sense. Think about where you would hide a cache in that area if you were hiding one and look in those spots.

Read the logs. All of them, not only the last five that are shown on the first page.

Look at all the pictures and spoilers. Most probably there are a couple of pictures taken a few metres from the spot ... or from the spot itself.

Look at Google Earth. If you know the zone it should confirm your GPS area to find.

Have fun.

I may be wrong, but I think BBs are only able to calculate coords when you're moving. So if you slowed down as you approached GZ it may be a little off?

Anyway, don't give up, micros can come in different shapes. Also check anything that seems to stick out. I put my fingers on a key-hider micro twice thinking it was a part of the metal street furniture I was searching. I've seen some hanging in trees too.

Thanks everyone. I guess bringing the 6 month pup added to the challenge. She wouldn't sit still.

I read that most consumer gps devices will get you to about 9 feet. The blackberry's seem to be ok but I haven't tried using my tomtom one 130s. I'm assuming it's better for in the car than outdoors compared to the blackberry. But either one is good for backup. I'll give it another shot but maybe I should try a normal size cache.

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

StarBrand is dead on when he says to be prepared to not find it. I also just started, 81 found, and I have not found 6, so I do not find ~7% (6/87) of the ones I go out looking for. In fact, yesterday I was 0/2 on 3 difficulty caches! I encourge you to log your DNF's too, a lot of people skip that. Then when you find it, it will be a bit more rewarding and you will recall how you were looking the first time and learn from it. Also most cache owners will send you an additional hint (and/or flat out tell you exactly where/how to look) if you ask.

Happy hunting, Zel

I'm still getting familiar with this website and how to log items. I think I did it properly by logging my DNF for this GC1FDD9 Traffic Watch #3. Do you get more options for recording details with a premium membership?

No - logging options are the same for PMs and regular members.

Is the act of logging the comments I see at the bottom of the cache page? That's what I did for the this DNF cache. Is that correct? Thanks.

Your DNF post looks just fine. Although the cache page lists this cache as a 1.5 in difficulty, about 13% who have looked for it have posted DNFs. I'd say that it is harder than it says. Keep trying -- you'll find it. I've been back to caches that I didn't find 5 or 6 times -- but then I enjoy looking.

Took the dog out for a walk finally since the rain stopped and decided to do my first cache. It's on my route every day with the dog so if I didn't find it today maybe another day.

Well, I didn't find it. Spent almost 30 minutes walking around and no luck. :)

I'm sure every driver and pedestrian was looking at me. It was a micro cache so it probably is harder. But because it's only one block away from me, thought I would try it tonight.

I'm using Blackstar Navigator with my Storm. It got me to about 2 metres to the location but never any closer. Not sure if it's supposed to tell me if I'm right on or not.

Now I don't feel so bad. Today was our first try at this. We know the spot well since we pass it everyday. It too was a micro. We laughed and looked, laughed and looked...gave up with the gps and kept looking....and came home. I guess we too will try again.

:o

Thank goodness it's not just me! My hubby and I spent about 45 minutes on one marked "easy" and we didn't find it. I was so bummed! :o

I know what you mean, my wife has given up coming out with me now. Taking the pup is a distraction too, so need to do this by myself now. I think as soon as I get a grasp how to use the tools correctly, perhaps I can find my first cache. lol

Need to remember to charge the batteries on all these devices too!

Don't start out with Micro's, do normal caches first until you get the hang of it. I use a rule of thumb that says I will search a circle with a 50' diameter from where the gps says it's located. Remember, we don't know how old of one they had when they placed the cache, if it had a good lock or was just a quickie. The micro's I found the other day were all about 40' from where my gps said it was, and they were all by the same guy.

So, be prepared to search a large area. However, a normal cache is much better for a search as they're big enough to see easily.

I agree, starting with micros because they're close to my home was not smart. Not sure why those are labeled with 1/1 difficulty/terrain when it's impossible to find. I'm sure with several regular cache finds I'll get my brain wrapped around how people hide micros. I made a PQ of regular caches near me, so hope to find a few soon.

I agree, starting with micros because they're close to my home was not smart. Not sure why those are labeled with 1/1 difficulty/terrain when it's impossible to find. I'm sure with several regular cache finds I'll get my brain wrapped around how people hide micros. I made a PQ of regular caches near me, so hope to find a few soon.

I started with a micro too just because it was the closest to me and I had no idea what micro meant...ha, didn't take long to figure that one out. I still haven't found it and I refuse to give up.....going out tonight to try again.

Edited by JakeandLou

Looking at the original cache (your first attempt), it might be a tad under-rated. I noticed that there are a pair of high-voltage transmission lines nearby (at least 230-kV, probably as much as 500-kV). The EMF interference from similar lines have been known to affect GPS receiver accuracy.

Looking at the last 6 DNF's, you're in good company:

7-26: confirmed by owner as being in place

7-24: DNF by someone with 6,658 finds

7-24: DNF by someone with 3,309 finds

7-08: DNF by someone with 0 finds (you)

6-29: DNF by someone with 920 finds

6-27: DNF by someone with 3,864 finds

6-27: DNF by someone with 1,937 finds

Plus there's the fact that lots of cachers do not log DNF logs; I usually assume 2-3 extra DNFs per every logged DNF.

I wouldn't feel bad about not finding this one.

Edited by J-Way

I didn't find a cache the first time I looked for one either, and it was a regular sized container.

I recommend looking for a cache that is bigger than a micro, rated no higher than 2 for difficulty, that has been found recently. Later you can come back to this micro close to home with a fresh perspective.

It took me about 4 months to find the first cache I attempted. It was rated as a 4-star difficulty (a large pine cone with the base drilled out and a nano stuck in it, and the coordinates were off by about 50-ft). It was annoying because it was the closest cache to my house.

But the same day I DID find the second and third caches I attempted, both regular size. So keep going!

I typically wont label my finds as DNF until Im completely sure I cannot locate the hide. Between all the comments, maps and online resources its pretty easy to locate a cache. You can even go so far as to ask the person who hid it for more help. Ive had 1 DNF in all my quests, most of the ones I couldnt find ended up being right in front of my face the whole time.

Well, I didn't find it. Spent almost 30 minutes walking around and no luck. :)

Lots of good comments here. Assuming you had your dog on leash, until you find some caches, leave the dog at home too. Having your dog on leash will restrict your search area. It took me 5 days to find my first cache. Look for a larger cache and one that has been found recently and often.

I'm a newbie as well... I've looked for 8 caches and found 5. However, of the 5 I've found I found 2 of them on a second try. The three that I've not found, I've looked for 2 of them twice and I just can't find them. All the caches were <2 in difficulty.

Summarizing my experience (such as it is):

1) I've found the cache as much as 40' from the coordinates (2 of that I've found were ~ 40'). I agree with the person who said look in a circle of 50' from where your GPSr says it should be.

2) Micro caches are usually under rated in difficulty... Perhaps all micro's should be rated at least a 3, especially if you're over 55 (the eyes go first). :D

3) Logs that say "quick" or "dash" are optimistic... :P

4) Micro caches have taken me at least 15 to 30 mins to find each time. I'm hoping that as I train my "eye" and become acustomed to standard hiding methods, that will get shorter.

5) Lastly, I live in a suburb and 90%+ of the local caches are micro or small... the largest that I've found is was a film can.

If anyone can post their standard checklist of hiding places types to look first, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate it.

My list so far is

1) Look in shrubs and bushes at the base inside the first set of branches that come off the main trunk.

2) Check behind anything metal for a magnet cache (or really any place out of sight on metal items).

3) Check at eye level for hanging caches in trees and shrubs/bushes.

4) Lastly look for anything that might be out of place (I found one cache in a hole in a stump covered with a rock... the rock on the stump is what caught my eye).

As I said, if anyone else has a "checklist" of places to look, I would surely appreciate the hints...

Jim

Edited by jmoores

I typically wont label my finds as DNF until Im completely sure I cannot locate the hide. Between all the comments, maps and online resources its pretty easy to locate a cache. You can even go so far as to ask the person who hid it for more help. Ive had 1 DNF in all my quests, most of the ones I couldnt find ended up being right in front of my face the whole time.

Most (not all) cache owners prefer if you log something if you attempt a find, even if it's just a note. Personally, if I arrive at ground zero and start to look, I make a log. If I don't find the cache, that log is a DNF. I'll usually log a note if I find some of the stages of a multi or if something outside my control keeps me from finding the cache (hordes of muggles, thunderstorm, rabid bears, etc.).

Why do this?

1. It shows the owner that people are interested in and looking for the cache. This is especially important if it doesn't get found very often.

2. A DNF it indicates there might be a problem, especially if it's an easy cache. But PLEASE don't assume that the cache isn't there just because you can't find it; even experienced cachers miss those 1.5-star "easy" ones every once in a while. There's a 2-star cache about a mile from my office that I've made two attempts on... and still haven't managed to find it. I just KNEW it was missing after the second attempt, but then someone else went and found it 2 days later.

3. Yours might be the 4th DNF in a row, but the other 3 didn't log. Most owners don't worry about 1 DNF; 4 in a row is cause for concern in all cases except for the hardest caches. So log your DNF with pride.

Definitely don't give up after trying and missing a micro. I missed most of them when I first started. Now, with just short of a thousand finds I grab them almost every time. It will help a lot once you have found a couple and know just how devious and how tiny they can be.

They use a lot of nanos where I live but can only check the box for a micro. So, check to see if someone made the comment that it is a nano. Nanos can be as small as a hearing aid battery. I even picked one up when I first started, wondered what it was, and put it back and kept searching since there was no way to put a log into something that small. Turns out it unscrewed and there was a tiny log.

Also found a fake acorn in an oak tree. Only with experience and luck will you find those. I suggest working your way down when you are new. Find some standards, then some small, then some micros. Believe it or not once you find a few of them the experience gained from it will help a lot.

Also, please log DNFs. Noone (except maybe newbies) looks down on you because you did not find one. I have several out and that is a major part of finding out when there are problems. If it is an easy one and three people in a row have not found it then I need to go take a look to see what is wrong. DNFs among experienced users are more important for cache maintenance than anything else.

Also, on a really tough one there are some other tips that might help. If someone else has just found it then go look again right away. Sometimes you can tell from disturbed earth and the like where they were looking when they found it. Sometimes they don't put it back as well as they found it and you can now find it. Sometimes they will cover it with leaves and the like and you can tell that fresh leaves have been put into a small pile, or rocks have their dirty side up or similar things. Sometimes after a hard rain the area looks different and you can make a find. After a while you don't even think about these things and they become second nature.

Most people really get into the sport after their first 20 finds or so. So, keep at it and it will become a lot of fun. Also, once you find a cache hidden by a particular person you might lookfor more caches hidden by that person. After all you now have some idea how they hide things.

Hi guys, haven't been looking at all after my last visit. It's been hard alone to do this since my wife gave up after a few tries. Don't know anyone that enjoys this and now the weather is changing. Gave my wife my itouch after she lost her ipod, so I haven't been able to use the Geocaching app I bought. Still have my blackberry but need an app now for that or perhaps pencil & paper. :D

Would be nice to get back into this as I was looking forward to finding items. Hopefully the next dry day I can try again by finding easier caches.