Beginer in the need of HELP

DEB&ASH97

Hello

My daughter and I are new to Geocaching (I just signed up now). I need to know where I can buy inexpensive Geocoins. After we get the hang of it, I won't mind buying the more expensive detailed colorful coins. But for now I want to make sure we get the hang of it. Any help would be great. Thank you!

Hello

My daughter and I are new to Geocaching (I just signed up now). I need to know where I can buy inexpensive Geocoins. After we get the hang of it, I won't mind buying the more expensive detailed colorful coins. But for now I want to make sure we get the hang of it. Any help would be great. Thank you!

Hello,

I am a little confused... it sounds like you are thinking that you "need" geocoins. If that is what you are thinking, you do not. I had been caching for over a year before I bought a geocoin. Geocoins are just a fun addition to the game, but you do not need them at all.

If you just "want" them, then I apologize for the above and will say that you can sometimes get a good deal on this forum from people selling some, or on the website of some of the manufacturers (sometimes they have "overruns" or such that they sell cheaper) - please be careful of buying on ebay as those might be stolen - also, make sure that the ones you buy are un-activated. There is a "geocoin" portion of this forum that might be more helpful in this issue.

Welcome to Geocaching!! and have fun!

If cost is an option, you might want to check out Pathtags. They are quite a bit cheaper than geocoins. They don't have exactly the same purpose. Pathtags are more of a custom signature item.

Looks like you need to invest about 100$ in pathtags to get started. Per-unit price is cheaper, but there is some significant initial outlay.

Check out this thread, which is the pinned Geocoin topic thread. It includes a list of online vendors.

Start browsing the companies listed in that thread - you'll start to get a sense of how much geocoins generally cost (the price varies according to vendor and features). Once you have an idea of what they generally cost, you can start picking out the coins that you'd like to have that are in your price range.

Some of the vendors offer "grab bags" in which you get random coins. That's always fun, too.

Then there's eBay, but caveat emptor on that one: if you don't know what price each coin is worth, you can end up spending much too much money for one (on the other hand, it's possible to get good deals). Don't trust such tags as "SOLD OUT" or "RARE!" or "HTF!" (I saw that one used to mark a coin that was still for sale at the original vendor's site).

So all in all it's good to browse the vendors first and establish your "coin sense", then start striking out in other venues.

Also, coin sales are often announced here first, so keep an eye on the threads. A designer or vendor will often publish their art, and/or the mint art, and/or samples of the coins, so you can even get a sense of how the coin development process works. : )

As has been said, geocoins are not required for geocaching. But they sure are fun (and -- watch out -- extremely addicting). Welcome! : )

Edited to add: Oh! Don't forget the "cointests" on the Forum. That's a way to win a coin or two, if you're lucky. : )

Edited by Jackalgirl

Hello

You don't need to have coins to get the hang of geocaching. If you are new to the hobby, there is plenty of time to start collecting coins.

Hello

I was going to say the classic golden USA Geocoin, which was probably the first commercially available Geocoin trackable at geocaching.com, were always pretty inexpensive. But I just looked, and I don't think they make them anymore.

Other that that, the cheapest Geocoins I know of are rather predictably Generic Geocoins :D

Hello

Hello,

I am a little confused... it sounds like you are thinking that you "need" geocoins. If that is what you are thinking, you do not. I had been caching for over a year before I bought a geocoin. Geocoins are just a fun addition to the game, but you do not need them at all.

If you just "want" them, then I apologize for the above and will say that you can sometimes get a good deal on this forum from people selling some, or on the website of some of the manufacturers (sometimes they have "overruns" or such that they sell cheaper) - please be careful of buying on ebay as those might be stolen - also, make sure that the ones you buy are un-activated. There is a "geocoin" portion of this forum that might be more helpful in this issue.

Welcome to Geocaching!! and have fun!

Thank you for the response. I didnt know that a lot of people did it with out the coins. Thank you again for the helpful info.

I think $1 dollar bills could make good trackables. They each have a unique serial number I think. Just a thought.

Those are called "Where's George" and early on any bills that went in caches weren't considered to be a normal flow of the travel of money, so they were taken off the list. I think they've changed things since then on the Where's George site, but I haven't looked there in a long time.

Now in regards to this thread. Please use the pinned thread at the top of these forums to find all the approved geocoin vendors. Threads like these tend to turn into advertisements, as evidenced by a few posts above and they get closed. Since people are too tempted to post storefronts, I am closing this one too. Only links leading directly to trackable items are allowed, storefront links are not, unless everything on the page is trackable. The pinned threads are there for everyone to find out where to go.

Jackalgirl has some very good suggestions too.

Closing this thread is no reflection on the OP.