Creating a forum account

Jonovich

I'm trying to help a fellow Geocacher "ThePanteras" access the ground speak forums - but every time he follows the "Forums" button from his Geocaching.com profile page, he gets to here but is not signed in. If he tries using his geocaching.com userid & password it just says it's incorrect and bombs him back to the signon page, suggesting he presses "Register" at the top of the screen. However, that button does nothing except return to the unsigned in main forums page. I'm sure there used to be some synchronisation that could be done from your geocaching.com account onto the forums - but there doesn't seem to be anything there anymore... Basically.. HELP! I've tried pointing him at various screens, he's even given me his userid and password so I can try - but I can't find a way to either create a new forums account or synchronise his geocaching.com account. This is very frustrating with numerous links that go nowhere or bomb back to the main signon/register screen.

Anyone here no what is wrong?

Cheers,

Jon.

I believe the forums login is also case sensitive while the GC.com site is not.

The account in question does have a " " (space) in it's name. "the panteras", but nothing odd about it. The message returned is

Sorry, we could not find a member using those log in details.

PLEASE READ! As of 4/22/2008, due to problems with certain forums accounts, we ask that you please visit the Geocaching.com forums registration page to refresh your forum account information.

But where is the geocaching.com forums registration page?

Jon.

Yup, and that takes you straight to the forums page and he is NOT signed in. The top is in pink with the options of Signin or Register. Signin doesn't work and register just returns you to the same page.

J

To investigate your friend's problem I just created a brand new account for myself at geocaching.com...

I received the validation email and validated the account, then logged in under my new name and clicked on the link (on the left) to enter the forums...

but I got

"Entering the Forums

Sorry. You have to wait 24 hours before you have posting rights in the forums. you have 24 hours before you can post. At that time you can visit this page to have your account created in the forums. There is no restriction for premium members."

Sorry - Can't help you any further!

(At least, not for 24 hours...) ;)

MrsB

To investigate your friend's problem I just created a brand new account for myself at geocaching.com...

I received the validation email and validated the account, then logged in under my new name and clicked on the link (on the left) to enter the forums...

but I got

"Entering the Forums

Sorry. You have to wait 24 hours before you have posting rights in the forums. you have 24 hours before you can post. At that time you can visit this page to have your account created in the forums. There is no restriction for premium members."

Sorry - Can't help you any further!

(At least, not for 24 hours...) ;)

MrsB

Thanks for trying Mrs.B.

"The Panteras" have had a geocaching account for several years, but have never used the forums. They have had this problem for at least a year as when I asked why he doesn't use the forums he said it doesn't work and hasn't since he first tried a year or so ago. I'm suspicious that something has become 'out of sync' between the forums and his geocaching account. But can't see a way of re-syncing it.

J

Edited by Dakar4x4

Hmmmm

My powers of deduction are nearly exhausted sherlock.gif

Wrong password? Password has been changed/forgotten?

MrsB

I've tried all sorts.

It doesn't appear that the username on the forums is case sensitive. I've signed in myself as Dakar4x4 dakar4x4 dAkAr4x4 and all work fine.

For "thepanteras" account, I've tried both with and without the space. Always it comes back saying

Username or password incorrect

PLEASE READ! As of 4/22/2008, due to problems with certain forums accounts, we ask that you please visit the Geocaching.com forums registration page to refresh your forum account information.

and if you click on the linked forums registration that tries to go to

it pauses and just drops you back at

I'm off the same belief that Mrs.B has, that the password has been changed on geocaching.com but the change hasn't filtered through to the forums. But how do we re-sync it? Certainly the password works on geocaching.com, it's just the forums where it is failing.

Jon

Edited by Dakar4x4

Try this link for re-setting a password

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...DE=01&HID=3

MrsB

If I follow that link it eventually takes me a page on geocaching.com to request a password, not on the forums? Is that right? I've filled it in with "thepanteras" email address. I'll ask them to let me know what they get.

Cheers,

J

Got an email simply telling us the account name and password. The name and password is exactly what we are using & it works with geocaching.com, but fails on the forums! Is there a way to log a problem call with Groundspeak over this or is this forum the correct method of logging problems?

Cheers,

Jon.

A friend of mine is having exactly the same problem. I have checked the system by trying to register a couple of my alter ego accounts on the forums and it's not working for me either. The "Register" button doesn't seem to work at all if you are logged in on GC.com.

I've emailed "contact@geocaching.com" with details of the problem and hopefully they will be able to help resolve it. I'll update here if I hear anything. I did manage to confirm with ThePanteras that they have never changed their password on geocaching.com, so it's not like it's got out of sync or anything.

Jon.

Sarahs having the exact same issue

The answer I got from Groundspeak was they thought it was because the email address "ThePanteras" have used for their Geocaching.com account has actually been used on another account as well. Does anybody else who is having this problem know if they have more then one account registered to the one email address? To tell, if you do a password reminder from the rejected forums sign on screen, you will get two accounts details back.

Jon.

Sarahs having the exact same issue

The answer I got from Groundspeak was they thought it was because the email address "ThePanteras" have used for their Geocaching.com account has actually been used on another account as well. Does anybody else who is having this problem know if they have more then one account registered to the one email address? To tell, if you do a password reminder from the rejected forums sign on screen, you will get two accounts details back.

Jon.

That explains my problem. This must be a new thing as I have previously posted under two names (not for nefarious means, I might add!)

That explains my problem. This must be a new thing as I have previously posted under two names (not for nefarious means, I might add!)

The response I got inferred that setting both accounts to use the same password would work - however, I still can't get it to work.

Jon.

My user ID and password here and on geocaching.com are the same, and so far I have not run into any problems. Somewhere I saw a similar problem and the question asked was "what browser are you using?" The suggestion was that that person use Firefox. I have found access is a lot quicker since I switched to Firefox, and not just this site. Just a thought. Hope it gets sorted soon for your friends!

I have had this exact same issue, once today and once last spring or so. It's made me not really all that interested in spending time on the forum when it takes me an hour or more (last time several attempts over days) to log in. This time I went back and changed my password, to the same password. It worked I'm in (obviously). Before doing that I tried three different browsers and had the identical issue in all of them (Chrome, Firefox & Safari, I avoid IE like the plague). I signed out of geocaching.com, and signed back in, I growled at it, I banged my head on the desk (I don't recommend this one lol) and nothing worked.

So I hope your friends resolved this a long time ago as this post is from last year but if anyone else comes across this issue, (I could read the thread after searching from google) try clicking the "forgot your password?" and if it takes you back to change password, do so, but keep the same one. Worked for me anyway, this time. Good luck!

the FAQ regarding logging in mentions an issue if the password has any profanity in it. This took me a while as well to figure out and it turns out that while what I was using wasn't a profane word it felt that a** was, once I reset the password on geocaching.com I was automatically logged in on the forum after changing the password.