I just recieved my PN-40

I ordered my DeLorme PN-40 late Saturday night from Walmart.com for $245 and it arrived this afternoon!!!!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...uct_id=10759794

0001991600569_215X215.jpg

To my surprise the unit came with Topo 8 not 7 shown in the product picture and came with software version 2.5.165506 manufactured 04-24-09. While setting the unit up and downloading the topo data for the state I was pleased to see I had full 3D lock on the unit at my computer...very nice. I am going to finish up the updates and take this thing out for a spin.

So far I feel the downloads and updates are a little less intuitive than with my previous Garmin units but not bad once you get going. I am very pleased so far and for the price this unit is a no brainer!

I spent $500 on an Oregon thinking it was the ultimate. I kind of wish i had heard about the pn-40...

I think at this point the OR vs. the PN-40 is pretty much Coke vs. Pepsi.

Except for the big price difference? :) And Cache Register of course!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I spent $500 on an Oregon thinking it was the ultimate. I kind of wish i had heard about the pn-40...

Except for the big price difference? :) And Cache Register of course!

Cache Register and Cash Register :anibad:

That's not supposed to make me feel any better as Pepsi is obviously no comparison to Coke.

*sigh

Oregon is to PN-40 as Pepsi is to Coke. :):anibad:

That's not supposed to make me feel any better as Pepsi is obviously no comparison to Coke.

*sigh

Oregon is to PN-40 as Pepsi is to Coke. :):anibad:

As a Coke man, I have to agree. I wasn't even thinking of the ordering.

I took it out at lunch and did a little caching and I am very pleased. I love the cache notes and hints, I would not have found one without them. I did find two caches that I was not able to locate this weekend with my eMap, while others took me to the same spot as the older unit. I never lost lock even while I was in buildings. Uploading field notes directly to the website is a very nice option. So far I am very pleased with this unit and will be using it a lot in the future.

I just placed my order for one on Amazon. Never cached in my life but was interested. Wife decided to get it for me for Father's day but wanted to make sure I really was interested in it before laying down the cash for a possible boondoggle. So been hitting the sites for a bit and decided, to go for it. A friend of my Wife's recommended this model. Seems people like it here too.

I just hope I can get off my rear and get out and find some cache's when it arrives next week.

Of course will have to now map my Disc Golf course too. :)

Does anyone have a recommended case? Unit will be used 90% caching and 10% toy.

16GB SDHC card also coming.

I took it out at lunch and did a little caching and I am very pleased. I love the cache notes and hints, I would not have found one without them. I did find two caches that I was not able to locate this weekend with my eMap, while others took me to the same spot as the older unit. I never lost lock even while I was in buildings. Uploading field notes directly to the website is a very nice option. So far I am very pleased with this unit and will be using it a lot in the future.

Did somebody say case?

http://forums.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=18595

Disc Golf? Goldenwest?

Did somebody say case?

http://forums.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=18595

Disc Golf? Goldenwest?

While checking out the case, I noticed the Street Atlas USA 2009...is this a better map software than the TOPO* software? Sounds pretty interesting and only $38?

Disc Golf? Goldenwest?

Disc Golf Yes. Never done at Goldenwest or any course in California for that matter. Disc Golf Noob for that matter since only played 1 year at a couple local courses. But w/ the PN-40 I might be able to improve some maps of the courses around here. Some of them truly suck.

Disc Golf? Goldenwest?

Disc Golf Yes. Never done at Goldenwest or any course in California for that matter. Disc Golf Noob for that matter since only played 1 year at a couple local courses. But w/ the PN-40 I might be able to improve some maps of the courses around here. Some of them truly suck.

Just wondered. There is a course several miles from my house in a city park.

I'd go out on a small limb and say that if you paid for it, you can do what you want with it. I think you only run afoul when copying it so two or more people are using it. IIRC the license just says it's for use on one computer and a laptop, though not by both at the same time.

However, since it was included for use with the PN-40 you're keeping, it does seem like a bit of a gray area.

After having an Oregon 400t in my shopping cart on Amazon along a couple of other things and about to click the complete order button, a light bulb went off in my head. I had remembered hearing that DeLorme was coming out with a new unit. After a bit of research and reading some reviews I cleared my shopping cart and ordered a -40, 32gb SDHC SanDisk card, and the Subscription to their Map service. This will by the families first GPS unit, other than the TeleNav service my wife and I use on our cell phones.

The SanDisk card should be alright, in regards to the brand/reliability? My other question is has anyone tried the Delorme Power kit? It is only a 1300maH Lithium Ion curious about how long this battery lasts before needing a charge? They caution against using any other Lithium Ion battery. I do like the idea of being able to plug in and charge it in the car or at the house.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Jay

Jay,

I've used the other Li-Ion batteries, the Delkin and the Cab-bat purchased through ebay.

Check this:

http://forums.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=16155

Also note the two links that embra has provided in the post directly above yours.

Yes, I prefer to keep my PN-40 in my Jeep and on 12VDC. The Li-Ion rechargeable battery packs can be recharged that way, particularly with an always ON 12VDC jack.

I use the standard cable and this:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12886

Walmart* also has a one piece 8-pin to cigarette lighter plug cable for $20. A search should turn it up.

Oh yeah, I use the 16GB Transcend card, but I'd have no qualms about the Kingston as I've a number of those without issues.

Good choice, good luck and see you on the other side.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

CowboyPapa,

Once you home do you charge it through the USB cable as well? If so, how long does it take to charge? (I understand it would depend on how far it is discharged) How do you have it mounted in your Jeep?

Jay

Edited by JayT_B

I ordered one from Amazon, it too shipped with Topo 8 even though the ad read Topo 7.

I was playing with it happily when it decided not to power on. Special, huh? at the moment it is a DeLorme brick. I did check the DeLorme forums and have tried the recommended fixes - none have worked. I'll talk to DeLorme on Monday. this turns out to be one of the device's occasional problems.

So the good news is that even if they say the unit has Topo 7, it's shipping with Topo 8, and the bad news is that a certain percentage of them will need to be returned, although I guess that's true of any device.

I did get to fool with it long enough to see that I'm going to be comfortable with the screen and the menus, and to get the Florida section of Topo 8 loaded and play with that some. I was really liking what I was seeing.

sigh..............

CowboyPapa,

Once you home do you charge it through the USB cable as well? If so, how long does it take to charge? (I understand it would depend on how far it is discharged) How do you have it mounted in your Jeep?

Jay

Yes, the recharge time is variable, but overnight is usually sufficient, in my Jeep.

I keep the hibernation function active on my PC so it will shut down after a period of inactivity, so that precludes overnight recharging.

Fortunately, I garage my Jeep when at home so I have no problem leaving my PN-40 overnight connected to an always ON 12VDC jack.

I use the RAM mount, vacuum stuck on the windshield, for longer trips.

(Actually, that is just to satiate curiosity, not really for a functional use as I also have in-dash GPS/NAV.)

For in and out geocaching I just leave it on the dash with one of those rubber sticky pads (Office Depot).

I ordered one from Amazon, it too shipped with Topo 8 even though the ad read Topo 7.

I was playing with it happily when it decided not to power on. Special, huh? at the moment it is a DeLorme brick. I did check the DeLorme forums and have tried the recommended fixes - none have worked. I'll talk to DeLorme on Monday. this turns out to be one of the device's occasional problems.

So the good news is that even if they say the unit has Topo 7, it's shipping with Topo 8, and the bad news is that a certain percentage of them will need to be returned, although I guess that's true of any device.

I did get to fool with it long enough to see that I'm going to be comfortable with the screen and the menus, and to get the Florida section of Topo 8 loaded and play with that some. I was really liking what I was seeing.

sigh..............

IK, stick with it and they, DeLorme, will make you whole. I've been lucky in that I've never had that problem.

Unfortunately, a number of others have had the problem that you have experienced.

The glass part full there, however, is the information that you have found.

In the meantime, before calling tomorrow, you might review that and other similar threads and try again.

Some have had some success in leaving off with batteries out overnight, putting in fresh batteries and then holding down the suggested combination of keys and then getting a reboot.

Try it again - can't make matters worse.