Cemetery Hides

raslas

Let me try my hand at what the next few posts are going to be like..

> I think they're disrespectful and should not be allowed

> Well, I think they're cool and I'm glad you're not Groundspeak

> What's wrong with geocaches in a cemetery and why would that make it disprespectful?

> A cemetery is not a place for play and recreation!

> I've visited some really interesting cemeteries and if not for geocaching I wouldn't even know they've been there.

> If you don't like them, don't go search for them.

> Sometimes you don't know they're in a cemetery until you get there.

> Why don't you look them up on Google satellite view?

> They should have an attribute for cemetery caches.

and, somehow it always comes up

> There are no rules, there are only guidelines

I'd like to go on but, sadly, I'm no Vinny.

Edited by Chrysalides

we have done a few cemetery caches and enjoyed doing them. I would like to hide some cemetery caches but don't know who to contact to obtain permission. Does anybody have any an idea how to find out who to contact for permission to hide a cache in a cemetery

I'd like to go on but, sadly, I'm no Vinny.

You did pretty good, though. It's almost as if an occult hand had reached down and...ok, never mind.

I like cemeteries. I like 'em for geocaching, I like 'em for walking, I like 'em for picnic lunches, I like 'em for genealogy and history research, I just plain like 'em. I'll probably spend my retirement years in one, eventually.

Permission regarding cemeteries varies. Some are owned by cities and towns; you would have to call the city/town hall for info. Some are run by cemetery organizations; look for an address or phone number at the cemetery or in the phone book. Some of the really old ones are owned/maintained by historical societies; look for a web site or local directory. Some are on private land and privately owned; just wander around until somebody comes out and hollers at you.

Just for example: I wanted to place a memorial marker for my Revolutionary War ancestor in a town owned cemetery. The town clerk was pleased to give me permission to place it in an ancient family-owned plot. No problem at all, and I don't expect to have any problem when I go to place a cache there.

Nearby, a privately run cemetery absolutely refuses anybody to do anything in their cemetery. Can't hardly even walk through the thing without someone marching out to see what I'm up to. Chance of placing a cache anywhere in the vicinity is pretty much nil.

we have done a few cemetery caches and enjoyed doing them. I would like to hide some cemetery caches but don't know who to contact to obtain permission. Does anybody have any an idea how to find out who to contact for permission to hide a cache in a cemetery

Go to the middle of the cemetery around midnight.. preferably during a full moon. Loudly ask if anyone objects to having a geocache near their grave. If no one answers put it out, if someone does run like h3//. :ph34r:

Go to the middle of the cemetery around midnight.. preferably during a full moon. Loudly ask if anyone objects to having a geocache near their grave. If no one answers put it out, if someone does run like h3//. :ph34r:

well played, sir...well played.

Does anybody have any an idea how to find out who to contact for permission to hide a cache in a cemetery

Preferably a cemetery way out in the middle of no where??!!! :o

We love them, and are planning to do a series of all the cemeteries in our county, a whole 27 of them, and about 25 are country cemeteries. It should be a good series, as cemeteries always have good hiding spots. The ones I really like are the Unknowns where you use dates for coordinates.