Taking TBs overseas

ArizonaAndKids

Hello!

I am new to geocaching and really love it. Its a great way to spend an afternoon with my kids. What I'd like to know is if its ok to grab a random TB and take it to Greece with us when we go later this summer. We plan to do some geocaching while we are there (already have some caches in mind!) and I'd love to take one or two bugs with me to place there. Since I'm a new member I'm nervous about doing something bold like that. I don't want to anger anyone this early in my geocaching career! I know I'd love it if someone grabbed my bug and took it to some distant land, but I've often been told I'm weird, so I thought I'd ask for advice first! I've looked at some TB pages to try and find a TB with an international goal, but many of the TB pages don't list a "goal" or the goal is not specific...

Thanks,

Arizona

PS: If anyone wants their bug to go to Greece, please let me know. If the bug is in a cache near Chicago I'll go get it and take it with me.

Edited by ArizonaAndKids

Read the goals for each TB you get. If it says "to travel from cache to cache" or "No particular goal" then feel free.

I'd only not do it if it had a specific goal that you'd be interfering with - like a race to New York or something like that.

I'd be thrilled if one of my random TBs/coins went to Europe!!!

If you have any doubts, shoot the bug owner a quick email through his/her profile and ask. I'm willing to bet that at least 99% of the folks whose bugs have a generic mission will be absolutely thrilled to have one of their bugs go to Greece. : )

Enjoy Greece! Don't buy leather sandals right before you climb the Acropolis! ; )

Hello!

I am new to geocaching and really love it. Its a great way to spend an afternoon with my kids. What I'd like to know is if its ok to grab a random TB and take it to Greece with us when we go later this summer. We plan to do some geocaching while we are there (already have some caches in mind!) and I'd love to take one or two bugs with me to place there. Since I'm a new member I'm nervous about doing something bold like that. I don't want to anger anyone this early in my geocaching career! I know I'd love it if someone grabbed my bug and took it to some distant land, but I've often been told I'm weird, so I thought I'd ask for advice first! I've looked at some TB pages to try and find a TB with an international goal, but many of the TB pages don't list a "goal" or the goal is not specific...

Thanks,

Arizona

PS: If anyone wants their bug to go to Greece, please let me know. If the bug is in a cache near Chicago I'll go get it and take it with me.

I've done it several times. As someone else wrote, send email to the TB and ask them if they'd like you to take it with you. Most that I have contacted were more than happy for me to take it. Even if a TB does have a specific mission in the US most owners wouldn't miind having you bring it overseas, dip it in and out of a few caches and bring it back home.

Whether you place a TB overseas or near home it's always a good idea to evaluate where a cache is appropriate for hiding someone elses trackable item. It should be a cache that isn't likely going to be muggled and not so remote that it will be visited frequently enough to keep the item moving.

Most TB owners also appreciate a photo of their TB near the cache area. I brought a Lion TB to the cache at the Colosseum in Rome. It wouldn't fit into the cache (a film container) but I dipped it in/out of te cache using the online logs and took a photo.

Hello!

Thanks,

Arizona

Can I get you to stop by one of our caches in VA? Just the other day I placed one of our coins in the cache. It wants to go to...GREECE! There is a particular cache there we've been watching a long time. If we can't get there ourselves, it would be great to get our coin there! :o

You could e-mail the TB owner and ask them if they mind your taking a TB of theirs overseas. I recently had a cacher e-mail about a coin of mine he picked up. He's headed to another state on vacation shortly. I told him...no problem! PLEASE take it! And thanks for asking!! :(

I found a TB (Canada mail) once at the beginning of my holiday in Canada and asked the owner if he would like me to drop his TB as soon as possible or if preferred if I kept it and brought it to Belgium... guess what he answered :(

Most TB owner like their TBs to go as far as possible, just read the TB goal.

If the goal of the bug is to go overseas, then absolutely. If the bug doesn't have a goal other than to travel as much as possible, absolutely. I've picked up a bug that started in Australia and had a goal to get to a off-road park here in America (it made it!), and I'm just about to release a bug with a goal to get from Oregon over to Amsterdam, and I would LOVE it if someone took it overseas!

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to take a few TBs with me that have goals to simply go as far as possible. If I'm not sure about a TB I'll drop the owner an email to see if its ok. Thanks for the advice on that.

Most of the caches in Greece that I've bookmarked have recent logs, so I'm encouraged by that. I was afraid geocaching wouldn't be as popular there as it is here and I didn't want any TBs to languish somewhere in TB Purgatory. But, it seems geocaching is quite popular there, which is great! We're going to my husband's village in Laconia and we'll use his family's house as our base camp and go all over the southern Pelopponisos and the island of Kythera (where his aunt lives). I wish I knew about geocaching the last time we were in Greece. It would have made the trip more interesting! Now I wish I spoke Greek better...

Arizona

Can I get you to stop by one of our caches in VA? Just the other day I placed one of our coins in the cache. It wants to go to...GREECE! There is a particular cache there we've been watching a long time. If we can't get there ourselves, it would be great to get our coin there! :o

You could e-mail the TB owner and ask them if they mind your taking a TB of theirs overseas. I recently had a cacher e-mail about a coin of mine he picked up. He's headed to another state on vacation shortly. I told him...no problem! PLEASE take it! And thanks for asking!! :(

If I were anywhere near VA I'd grab your TB! Maybe someone can get it to Illinois by the middle of July????