Locked caches

Shoob&Sheeb

Recently found a cache that had been archived for over two years. This particular one had zero finds ever. After getting some help towards the final was able to actually find the bugger. Two TB's were released from a certain death. My question is how to log the find. Have contacted the reviewer that archived the listing but have had no response. Not posting which cache to give the reviewer benefit for the unusual circumstance. Any one else ever have a locked cache to log?

Is it actually "locked" somehow, or just archived? I just logged a cache the other day that has been archived for close to a year. The cache was still in place and also contained a TB (I rescued the TB and removed the cache container). In my experience there hasn't been anything to keep you from logging an archived cache, but you need the waypoint ID to find it in the system (can't search for archived caches by name).

Recently found a cache that had been archived for over two years. This particular one had zero finds ever. After getting some help towards the final was able to actually find the bugger. Two TB's were released from a certain death. My question is how to log the find. Have contacted the reviewer that archived the listing but have had no response. Not posting which cache to give the reviewer benefit for the unusual circumstance. Any one else ever have a locked cache to log?

If you must know the cache ID to know that it was archived so I would just log your unusual story.

How long had the cache been active?

On the other hand, if the cache was never published (for proximity reason, or some other reason) you would physically not be able to log your find online.

I only know of one archived regular cache that is locked from logging. I am not sure of the reasoning behind that. But there was a reason, so I doubt that the reviewer will change that decision.

I have retrieved a few TBs from archived caches, and not had a problem logging a note on the cache . (I had found them previously.)

Is it actually "locked" somehow, or just archived? I just logged a cache the other day that has been archived for close to a year. The cache was still in place and also contained a TB (I rescued the TB and removed the cache container). In my experience there hasn't been anything to keep you from logging an archived cache, but you need the waypoint ID to find it in the system (can't search for archived caches by name).

We need one of our reviewer/moderators to check in, that's what we need. :rolleyes: Listings can be locked from further log entries, and best I know they have to go out of their way to lock the listing. Here's the message I get when I try to post any type of log entry to an archived event hosted by a banned member:

The listing has been locked and is not accepting new log entries.

I've also seen locked archived virtuals that were shut down due to abuse from European (notice I didn't say German) armchair Google finders. In my opinion, locking is the exception, not the norm.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

The problem is not that you can't log an archived cache, the problem is that you could find it to begin with.

Archived means gone from the playing field and removed , yes ?

Everytime this comes up, I find myself reviewing my list of archives to make sure I picked them up. Or I start nagging the person I asked to pick it up for me. :rolleyes:

The problem is not that you can't log an archived cache, the problem is that you could find it to begin with.

Archived means gone from the playing field and removed , yes ?

Everytime this comes up, I find myself reviewing my list of archives to make sure I picked them up. Or I start nagging the person I asked to pick it up for me. :rolleyes:

I think the problem, in a lot of cases, is that the reviewer archives the listing due to lack of maintainence and the CO has gone AWOL, so the cache never gets picked up.

Here's a bookmark list of some archived NJ caches that are possibly still in place (although I personally removed one of these so its not entirely up to date):

caches

This one we had a dnf when it was first published. Many other dnf's were also posted. The CO never responded to requests for help. From the reviewers log he also got no response and the cache was archived. Over two years later is when we actually did find it and free the TB's. When trying to log the find we get the error" this cache is not accepting further logs". Guess at least I get to know I found it but will not be able to remove from the dnf list.

This one we had a dnf when it was first published. Many other dnf's were also posted. The CO never responded to requests for help. From the reviewers log he also got no response and the cache was archived. Over two years later is when we actually did find it and free the TB's. When trying to log the find we get the error" this cache is not accepting further logs". Guess at least I get to know I found it but will not be able to remove from the dnf list.

Aha! I'll bet in a strange case like that, the cache page became a discussion forum. I've seen many cache pages locked because of that too. :lol:

Never saw a locked cache until today. Thanks for teaching me something.

This is the end of the line on this one. GCWEEW

Reply from GC.com is:

I'm sorry but I cant unlock the cache without knowing why it was locked. Since there are no notes as to why it was locked I am going to have to leave it that way.

Thank you,

Michael

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

At least we tried.

Woof woof woof

Aha! I'll bet in a strange case like that, the cache page became a discussion forum. I've seen many cache pages locked because of that too. :laughing:

Man I hate when that happens. That's what the forums are for!