Why does the Google search go right to Seattle?

Styluss

My Google Map view used to show (edit) Green Lake Park for a second or two before snapping to the correct region, but I haven't seen that for a couple of months now. I'm running Firefox 3 on Windows XP if it makes a difference.

Edited by Chrysalides

<For some reason I can't quite figure out, this has never been a problem for me.>

Maybe that is why it is slow to get a connection there from Dallas...my DSL Line is Bucking a Head Wind to Seattle.

It's the Santa Ana winds...blame California... :rolleyes:

My Google Map view used to show Emerald Lake for a second or two before snapping to the correct region, but I haven't seen that for a couple of months now. I'm running Firefox 3 on Windows XP if it makes a difference.

mine only shows Emerald Lake when i am not logged in.

For some reason I can't quite figure out, this has never been a problem for me. :rolleyes:

Me either. :blink:

To elaborate on the OP's question....actually, geocaching started a tad south of us, outside Portland, OR. But like wimseyguy said, Signal lives in Seattle.

Edited by hydnsek

So, what you are saying is that the map should snap to my home location? Because it never has in my few months of Geocaching...

Perhaps some steps on how to reproduce the problem?

I noticed that if I click on the map icon on my Profiles page, it goes straight to my home location. If I click on map preview for a PQ, it shows Seattle, then goes to wherever the caches are for that PQ.

For some reason I can't quite figure out, this has never been a problem for me. :sad:

Me either. :D

To elaborate on the OP's question....actually, geocaching started a tad south of us, outside Portland, OR. But like wimseyguy said, Signal lives in Seattle.

I don't think the first hide was called a GeoCache. It was posted on a usenet group, no formal web site. It may have been coined a cache, just not a Geocache.

So Geocaching did start here in Seattle.

So, what you are saying is that the map should snap to my home location? Because it never has in my few months of Geocaching...

Me too. I go to the geocaching home page. Page says I'm logged in. Click on Hide and Seek a Cache. search with Google Maps. I get a picture of Green Lake Park. Always have. I've never had the maps center anywhere else in several months of using the new Google Maps.

I thought it was a bit of a pain to have to move it each time, but not a big enough inconvenience to worry about. Should it be snapping to my home location?

I'm using Firefox 3, with security settings set pretty liberal.

How do I get it to center on my home location?

[edit] Just wanted to add: I checked my home location and a map of my neighborhood comes up, with the exact spot of my house marked, so that's all good.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z
Me too. I go to the geocaching home page. Page says I'm logged in. Click on Hide and Seek a Cache. search with Google Maps. I get a picture of Green Lake Park. Always have. I've never had the maps center anywhere else in several months of using the new Google Maps.

Ah, I see. I don't use that link. I just tried it, it brings me to Green Lake as well.

If I'm in the main page, I just click on the "Go" button after the coordinates, which should default to your home coordinates. If I'm anywhere else, I click on my geocaching ID (upper right corner) and then on the map icon (the one that says "Map It").

Edited by Chrysalides