What's the standard procedure for re-scheduling events?

My event that's scheduled for this Saturday that may clash with the fore-casted thunder showers in the area. This was going to be held outside where we have room and if attendance is close to the "Will Attend" logs we won't have room inside the house.

I have a rain-date for the 11th of next month listed on the event page, but my question is this: how should I handle communicating the re-schedule and should I edit the date for the in the listing, archive the event and list a new one or leave things alone and just post a note to the logs?

I have an event listed for April and have thought about that as well. If the weather is nasty, I'm going to post a note on the cache and note it on the cache page. Depending on possible attendance, I may contact each person individually. I think most people attending will be watching the cache as well, so they will see the note when I log it, if it rains.

Hopefully, I wont have to so that.

My event that's scheduled for this Saturday that may clash with the fore-casted thunder showers in the area. This was going to be held outside where we have room and if attendance is close to the "Will Attend" logs we won't have room inside the house.

I have a rain-date for the 11th of next month listed on the event page, but my question is this: how should I handle communicating the re-schedule and should I edit the date for the in the listing, archive the event and list a new one or leave things alone and just post a note to the logs?

Hold the event anyhow. You'll be amazed at how many Geocachers that are crazy enough to show up. I just held an outside event in the dead of winter. It was raining in the morning and the temp dropped about 30 degrees during the day. I was amazed that about 35 people actually showed up.

Set up a few dinning fly's around the area for people to get under.

Hold the event anyhow. You'll be amazed at how many Geocachers that are crazy enough to show up. I just held an outside event in the dead of winter. It was raining in the morning and the temp dropped about 30 degrees during the day. I was amazed that about 35 people actually showed up.

Set up a few dinning fly's around the area for people to get under.

If it looks like it's going to just sprinkle then, yeah I'm going ahead with my plans. If on Thursday morning the forecast still calls for thunderstorms then I'm going to reschedule. No need to invite misfortune.

To others reading this, when you plan on going to an event click on the option up where you log the event that says watch listing, that way any updates or notes posted will be e-mailed to you.

The problem with watching an event you Will Attend is that you not only get notification for everyone who posts a Will Attend log (or posts a note saying they may attend or they regret not being able to attend), but you get a notification every time someone drops some travel bugs or coins into the event. For many events these days that could be a substantial amount of email to go through. What some have asked for is the ability to send email through the site to everyone who posted a Will Attend log to inform them of a cancellation or a change in plans. Only the cache owner would be able to send this email, perhaps by posting a special type of log to the event page. That way you wouldn't have to watch an event to get notices of changes. If you didn't want to get these notices you could post a note that you are attending instead of a Will Attend log - although if the event owner is using the Will Attend log to get an idea of how many will be attending the event they might miss your note.

To others reading this, when you plan on going to an event click on the option up where you log the event that says watch listing, that way any updates or notes posted will be e-mailed to you.

The problem with watching an event you Will Attend is that you not only get notification for everyone who posts a Will Attend log (or posts a note saying they may attend or they regret not being able to attend), but you get a notification every time someone drops some travel bugs or coins into the event. For many events these days that could be a substantial amount of email to go through. What some have asked for is the ability to send email through the site to everyone who posted a Will Attend log to inform them of a cancellation or a change in plans. Only the cache owner would be able to send this email, perhaps by posting a special type of log to the event page. That way you wouldn't have to watch an event to get notices of changes. If you didn't want to get these notices you could post a note that you are attending instead of a Will Attend log - although if the event owner is using the Will Attend log to get an idea of how many will be attending the event they might miss your note.

I like this, Toz!! Although many people here do watch events they plan on attending, this would be a great feature!! Should we be filling the request section to assure TPTB know we want this?

Change the date on the cache page, anybody watching the page will get the update.

If you change the date, there is no notification of a date change that I am aware of. The idea that Toz puts forth is a very good one though.

Thanks for pointing that out. I guess the best thing to do under the current way the site works would be to update the date then log a note telling people of the date change, this will email all those watching the page.

Change the date on the cache page, anybody watching the page will get the update.

If you change the date, there is no notification of a date change that I am aware of. The idea that Toz puts forth is a very good one though.

Thanks for pointing that out. I guess the best thing to do under the current way the site works would be to update the date then log a note telling people of the date change, this will email all those watching the page.

Unfortunately, not everybody that posts a "will attend" are watching the page. Right now I have a modest 6 "will attend" logs and two watchers. No way to know if the watchers are any of the folks that have posted "will attend".

Fortunately for me, there aren't so many folks that have said they will attend (or posted a note to mention that they might attend) that I can't copy/paste a quick "STORMS A COMMIN! DATE CHANGED!" message and send it to them via their profile.

It would be incredibly handy if if everybody that posted "will attend" could be notified with less clicks of the mouse.

Many of us get notifications when caches are disabled or enabled. Suggest you disable, change the date, and enable. Then post a note and change the cache listing to reflect the correct info. Finally, you might also call or email to make sure attendees know. See GC1JZTB which is another area event which changed dates.

The serious cachers will attend no matter what the weather.

Here in AZ, events are held 'rain or shine'.

Airzona Rain....ain't that a oximoroan? :)

There used to be a band by that name....they never showed up. ;)

All serialness aside....hearing some things I've heard, if you do have a postponement (go to the rain date), you can almost always count on some still showing up on the rained out date. Just be prepared for however you're gonna deal with those.

And if your luck runs like mine....count on it raining on the rain date too!

COUNT on it! :)

~*

hold the event regardless. If you hold it, they will come. We have had outings and such when the temp is in the 20s or lower and people still show.

That's a slightly different situation than thunderstorms and an open field. I don't think they are going to stand around outside and eat chili in the rain and lightning. I rescheduled the event.

hold the event regardless. If you hold it, they will come. We have had outings and such when the temp is in the 20s or lower and people still show.

That's a slightly different situation than thunderstorms and an open field. I don't think they are going to stand around outside and eat chili in the rain and lightning. I rescheduled the event.

I think many of us don't understand the kind of DANGEROUS thunderstorm you're talking about(hail, deadly lightning, tornados). Nobody should be out in those.