Garmin Oregon v2.93 beta released

eaparks

On Friday on my way home from work, my GPSr appeared to have locked-up about .5-1 mile from home, and even when I pulled the external power (a Garmin power cable) it did not change, nor ask me f I wanted to remain on. I had to pull the batteries to get the unit to power-off.

I have a similar issue with the 2.93. My Oregon 300 freezes in the tripcomputer-view reproducible after about 5 min (no crash, no power-off, it freezes). I have to remove the batteries to get it work again.

On the battery thing... I'm sure being avid cachers that you won't have noticed this :antenna:

I, however, have had a couple of fallow weeks and I have noticed that on a couple of occasions I power on the unit that was near to full charge and it is in the red.

I'm wondering if something isn't being turned off properly when you power down on 2.93.

Anyone else notice this?

I noticed this once as well. I hadn't used the GPS for a couple of days and I went to do a cache that I had DNF'd. I'm pretty sure my battery meter was reading 3 bars the last time I had used it, but the unit wouldn't power on. I tried again and saw the "Low Battery" message just before it turned back off. I replaced the batteries and all was well.

JetSkier

I powered on at a complete different location then where I powered off my Oregon.

Almost immediately it showed me on the map the current location, so me too, I wonder is the receiver on while the Gps seems off?

Ditto on the freeze issues. I thought it was maybe the maps or combinations of maps on my unit that was freaking out the processor. It has happened about three times on me now since the release of 2.93. Same symptom, trip computer mode, had to pull batts to get it to work again.

I powered on at a complete different location then where I powered off my Oregon.

Almost immediately it showed me on the map the current location, so me too, I wonder is the receiver on while the Gps seems off?

Umm, I'm hoping they aren't going to call that a feature without putting in an option to disable it :laughing:

I tried a similar experiment, only I also removed the batteries. While on the freeway on an active route, I shut down and removed the batteries. Five miles/minutes later I reinserted the batteries and powered up. When it cycled past the opening screens it already had the new fix and was still on the active route. I wonder if there is an internal battery, a capacitor, or does it store to flash memory on shutdown. How does HotFix work? I need to try this again for a longer time and distance.

Just a fast overview of my experience with 2.93. Loaded it before a backpacking trip this weekend a bit worried about the shortend battery life. Well after 11 hours and fourty five min. of on time I was showing 2 bars left on the battery meter. The accuracy is great and the track is as good as I would have ever expected. As far as I am concerned this is a hit.

the track is as good as I would have ever expected. As far as I am concerned this is a hit.

Try setting your track to record at 1 second intervals. Not so great. Jumpy and erratic. Relatively accurate but sloppy.

I may not have a beef with it had I never owned a 60CSX. Truly the gold standard for track draw and WAAS lock.

The lockups happened to me for the first time last night. I don't get it. Have had 2.93 loaded since it was released. Fresh batteries.

Walking out to my car I powered up the Oregon. When I got in the car I put the unit in its holder (RAM) and plugged in the power cable. Sometime between then and the next time I looked at the screen (1 min) it locked up on the satellite screen. Unplugged, removed batteries, reinstalled batteries. Powered up OK. Happened again shortly.

The only thing different on my unit was that I had installed custom POIs using the POIloader (see below). It seemed to work and the POIs show up on the unit's maps and POI database.

As a side note, I think converting the pocket query waypoints that come along with the geocache gpx to POIs is the way to go. I made a custom icon for them. This way when you want to edit your waypoints the list is not filled with geocache related waypoints.

As a side note, I think converting the pocket query waypoints that come along with the geocache gpx to POIs is the way to go. I made a custom icon for them. This way when you want to edit your waypoints the list is not filled with geocache related waypoints.

You can also use the GSAK export macro which will export child waypoints as POIs. This is the way to go makes managing geocaching data so much easier than having to clear out your waypoints list all the time.

Locked up two times for me so far.

First time just monitoring the satellites with backlight set to 15 secs.

Second time monitoring satellites with full backlight all the time plus navigating to a Geocache.

At both occations the gps'r was sitting still in my window. Tracking on.

I cannot reproduce the problem on demand.

It is under Setup>Display. I don't user the battery saver and I don't see the problem. What about other people?

I don't use the screen blank/power saver features either, and I have had one random crash (screen half fade to off), and one hard freeze (requiring battery pull) since the upgrade to v2.93 on the 10th (the day it was released). I have also seen one instance of the position not updating (resolved via power cycle), and now I see one track log on my screen that appears to be off about 100 or so feet (recorded while driving a route I regularly drive).

Because these have all been seemingly random single occurrences I have not reported any of them to Garmin yet. I don't seem to be able to re-produce any of them so I have a hard time reporting them as issues since they have each only happened once in the last 2 weeks.