Garmin etrex

redjada

I just got an garmin etrex (yellow) that I won on ebay. Now I need the PC cable. Looked at all kinds on line but not sure witch one I need. My etrex has four contacts (for the plug) on the upper back for the hook up. Can someone please point me in the right direction so I get the right cable. Thanks

You can get the cable from Garmin, but it is cheaper from other sources. If your unit does not have a serial port you will also need a USB/ Serial adapter. This is why the basic eTrex and eTrex H are not really that cheap in the end. You can pay almost as much for the cables as you paid for the unit.

I do recall someone linking to an eTrex cable sold on Ebay that had the eTrex connection and a USB connection, so there was no need for an adapter. It was only $15 and might be worth a try if you can find it. I have no idea how well it works, but if it works you can save about $40 and if it doesn't supposedly there is a money back guarantee.

So I suggest searching Ebay for it.

I just ordered this cable, etrex to USB

http://www.rnrplace.com/store/index.php?ac...mp;productId=34

It came to $20 after shipping.

I can't say anything about it since I don't have it yet, but here's hoping :o And you pay through Paypal, so if there's a problem they will resolve it.

Here is a similar (data but no power) cable on ebay. A little bit cheaper. Oh well.. They seem to have good ratings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-SINGLE-CABLE-FOR-G...id=p4634.c0.m14

Edited by Hwin

You can get the cable from Garmin, but it is cheaper from other sources. If your unit does not have a serial port you will also need a USB/ Serial adapter. This is why the basic eTrex and eTrex H are not really that cheap in the end. You can pay almost as much for the cables as you paid for the unit.

I do recall someone linking to an eTrex cable sold on Ebay that had the eTrex connection and a USB connection, so there was no need for an adapter. It was only $15 and might be worth a try if you can find it. I have no idea how well it works, but if it works you can save about $40 and if it doesn't supposedly there is a money back guarantee.

Hi! I have an eTrex legend and I am also looking for a converter cable. Did the one you bought from that rnr website end up working? When I look at the back of my gps and the cable I currently have the connector contact to the GPS does not look the same as the ad. Are the compatible? Thanks!

I thought the H-only series used USB...? On a side note, I just got done posting a similar comment as this one...I had a bad experience with my Legend serial adapter cord to USB. I got it off ebay, but cant remember the brand name. I worked for a while with some help from this forum. For some reason, it stopped working and I am fed up with it as I have changed so many setting and installed and downloaded to my limit. So be careful and heed someones suggestion with one that works...dont stray from "tried and true." I am researching buying the H and thought it was USB....the H will be nice, but just want user friendly.

I spent 2 months fighting with this same issue. I have a Garmin eTrex also.

First I bought the two connecting cables but just could not install on my computer, even after hours on the phone with tech support. So I found the single one on Ebay for $16 - search for " garmin etrex h gps cable" and look for all the ones from Kawa. After more hours with Garmin tech support, (they are really good by the way) we conluded that the issue was my computer, not the cables. So I plugged it in a different computer, and I was in business in about 2 minutes! The Kawa cable works - if not try it on a different computer.

Good luck!