Hapmsters can be used for geocaching, well lots of 'em

Rick618

So, I just need to get a baby stroller big enough to carry 1000 hampsters and the rest of the caching gear. OK, strollers out, going to need something a bit bigger for all the wheels, maybe one of the buggies from Sam's/Costco or one of the lumber carts from HD/Lowes......now were cooking with hampster juice.

Scientists have managed to harness the energy-producing power of hamsters by fitting them with tiny detector jackets.

The devices are strapped to the animals as they run on their cage wheels, capturing the biomechanical energy they release as they exercise.

Experts believe the technique could one day be used to capture power produced by humans.

Dr Zhong Lin Wang of Georgia University's Nano Research Group developed the flexible jackets, which are fitted with wires plugged into a nanogenerator that produces energy when they are bent and stretched.

In tests one hamster named Campbell's Dwarf produced small amounts of AC power – around one twentieth of the output of an AA battery.

Although it would take 1,000 hamsters to generate enough energy to power a mobile phone, Dr Wang said the technology could have practical applications when applied to larger animals and humans.

"We believe that this is the first demonstration of a live animal producing current with nano-generators," she told The Sun.

Dr Wang added that the technology could be ready to be fitted into clothes within five years. It would capture energy produced not only when humans are active, but also from smaller movements such as when people are sat at computers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechn...for-energy.html

My newest cache container. :unsure:

DSC01243.jpg

Let me know where you placer this one, it will be on my ignore list. You think I spent all winter laid up with a busted foot, breeding hamsters to propagate the world, just to have some arrogant hoyfaloy stuck up cacher reject my brood....pftttttttttttttttttt................... :o:D:DB):DB):mad:

Edited by Bergie Bunch

Scientists have managed to harness the energy-producing power of hamsters by fitting them with tiny detector jackets.

Dr Zhong Lin Wang of Georgia University's Nano Research Group developed the flexible jackets, which are fitted with wires plugged into a nanogenerator that produces energy when they are bent and stretched.

In tests one hamster named Campbell's Dwarf produced small amounts of AC power – around one twentieth of the output of an AA battery.

I heard about this on the radio show "Coast to Coast AM" last night.

It could be just a matter of a few years before we could have cache containers with LED lights and maybe small electrical devices in them, run by hamsters with nanotech jackets. The potentuals are endless.

We could even carry these special equipped critters in our pockets and wire them to our GPSr, no more batteries! :o

Hamsters are trading swag, not energy sources.

This was the old school way of thinking. But as technology and the sport of geocaching advances, hamsters can add so much more to our lives! :unsure:

:yikes:

K, I'm here just for one quick question. What the he77 are " Hapmsters" ??????//

A Hapmster is simply a Hamster that has too much extra "P" in the middle of it. Grasp the hamster firmly in the midsection, point its back end away from you, and squeeze once, sharply. That should resolve the issue.

OK, that one got me. I can hardly type I'm still laughing too hard.

Bah, hamster power is worthless.

The REAL future is in BREAST POWER! Dead GPS receiver batteries will never be a problem again if you happen to have the right size "generators" connected to a battery charger. :unsure:

[Edit to note that the link is to Gizmodo and is completely SFW]

Edited by J-Way