Is there shame in logging a DNF?

Dedmedic

Lots of history on this topic. Search and you will find it. Or Kit Fox will provide links! :laughing:

Yeah I see that a lot here too....seems you cant post a " new " topic without someone saying....we talked about that last year. But Thanks..... Edited by Dedmedic

Lots of history on this topic. Search and you will find it. Or Kit Fox will provide links! :laughing:

Yeah I see that a lot here too....seems you cant post a " new " topic without someone saying....we talked about that last year.

You can talk about it all you want. You can also take a few minutes to check out previous posts and topics. Or you can cop a lousy attitude. You choose.

Yeah I see that a lot here too....seems you cant post a " new " topic without someone saying....we talked about that last year.

You can talk about it all you want. You can also take a few minutes to check out previous posts and topics. Or you can cop a lousy attitude. You choose.

It has to be one of the top 10 topics. I still think they should pin the top 10 topics somewhere...

Sorry I dont live on the forum. I wont pose any other questions to annoy those of you that have exhausted all topics of conversations on the subject.

Do you want to argue or do you want an answer to your question? Why is it such a challenge to do a minor bit of checking?

Sorry I dont live on the forum. I wont pose any other questions to annoy those of you that have exhausted all topics of conversations on the subject.

Really? Amazing how your topic had the exact same words as the one I posted months ago. :laughing:

Well, look at it like this, nobody is going to fault you for resurrecting a productive thread, it is the muddling things up making searches even harder for the next person that gets the "We talked about this a million times" response.

Well, look at it like this, nobody is going to fault you for resurrecting a productive thread, it is the muddling things up making searches even harder for the next person that gets the "We talked about this a million times" response.

I think it is more the laziness to do a search and then attack that gets me wondering. I am always happy when I am able to help someone with a question. I thought I was doing so with this topic. Do a little search and you will find lots of information on the topic. No need to rehash the same info once again. Isn't that one of the reasons for keeping the history here?

I think it is more the laziness to do a search and then attack that gets me wondering. I am always happy when I am able to help someone with a question. I thought I was doing so with this topic. Do a little search and you will find lots of information on the topic. No need to rehash the same info once again. Isn't that one of the reasons for keeping the history here?

Yes! Exactly!

Unfortunately information gets dispersed every time a topic gets rehashed.

If I wasn't so lazy, I would compile some subjects that come up frequently but like I said "I'm lazy". :laughing:

Maybe just links, eventually. :laughing:

It's fine to ask a question that's been discussed previously. Community members are not expected to undertake a thorough search before posting.

If there is a currently active thread, the moderators will close the duplicate thread or merge its posts into the active thread. It is not a big deal.

It is also fine to politely direct the inquirer to prior discussions of the same subject. A link to one or more specific threads is helpful. A summary of the prior history is even more helpful than bare links. Tozainamboku is an example of a community member who is especially adept at this type of helpful post.

Chastising the poster for not reading the prior threads is not helpful. The subject may be old news for forum regulars, but it is new for the person who started the thread, or else they would not have asked. Experienced geocachers should welcome the newcomer to the conversation and help them get up to speed on the positions taken by the community. Each new thread then builds upon its predecessors.

Motorcycle Mama and Isonzo Karst never tire of telling a geocacher how to adopt a cache, or change their screen name, or how the 528 foot cache saturation guideline works. BrianSnat and Markwell and StarBrand and others answer the same newbie questions every week in the Getting Started forum. "What GPS should I buy?" "How do pocket queries work?" They want to help people learn about and enjoy the game and the website features. They know that not everyone reads the FAQ thread, the Groundspeak Knowledgebase and other resources, and this does not bother them.

Experienced posters should try to be like a Toizanamboku or a StarBrand or a Motorcycle Mama. Newcomers should recognize that there's a lot of collective experience and prior history here. The new poster should not get upset when others disagree with their position. It's a discussion forum, not a self-validation forum.

If we all play nicely and be excellent to each other, this will help build a vibrant forum community.

With the above in mind, I will offer the OP the choice between re-phrasing his deleted original post and "starting over," or asking that this thread be closed. Comments on proper responses to frequent questions are also on topic.

Well to address the original post, there is absolutely no shame in a DNF. I'm probably approaching 200 DNFs and actually have many that I'm quite proud of. There was the 6 mile hike where I was turned around by pending darkness just as I reached ground zero. There was the cache hunt on my way home from work in a rain storm, wearing my business clothing, where I wound up covered in mud and blood. DNFs are often the best stories.

I know one cache where a geocacher with over 20,000 finds couldn't find a cache that was an easy find for nearly everybody else. I had a DNF on a cache with over 100 finds where I was the first DNF. I was certain it was missing, but a find was logged the next day. No shame in it at all. Sometimes you just miss something that everybody else sees.

Yes! Exactly!

Unfortunately information gets dispersed every time a topic gets rehashed.

If I wasn't so lazy, I would compile some subjects that come up frequently but like I said "I'm lazy". :laughing:

Maybe just links, eventually. :laughing:

Yes, agreed! It always amazes me how often people come here and, without searching for a recent thread, start a new thread on the same tired topic, and then exhibit amazingly high and inappropriate levels of rage when someone reminds them gently that this is a very old topic that has been revisited many times. In fact, I must say that lately it appears to me almost as if an occult hand had reached down from above and moved the players like pawns upon some giant chessboard, with the purpose of orchestrating a sinister conspiracy, one designed to flood our consciousness with obsessive thoughts about mundane and oft-revisited topics.

And if a topic HAS been "rehashed a million times before", what's the magical (occult?) power that makes you unable to just keep your hands off the keyboard and not participate in the new, or renewed, conversation....especially since you already know everything about it? An overwhelming need to chastise someone? Much like this?

:laughing:

~*

Edited by Star*Hopper

I will offer the OP the choice between re-phrasing his deleted original post and "starting over," or asking that this thread be closed.

I just happened to notice that the opening post for this thread has been edited to say "Please close this thread." So, that's what I'm going to do, since I offered the option.

The best way to ask for your thread to be closed is to use the "report this post" feature to summon a moderator. Second to that would be adding a new post with this request. Editing out a prior post is atypical and thus less likely to be noticed by a moderator.