Time for reform and updates?

NeverSummer

I'd love to clarify something, just so I can get it off my chest...

I didn't start this thread to be the voice. I started it to get a conversation going. I'm not trying to make my opinion louder than anyone else's, simply because I started this thread. I speak for nobody but myself, and respect the efforts of others to suggest, correct and enlighten all of us.

That being said...

I've enjoyed the ideas that are coming out of this, and, save for a few divergent responses, I think it has been productive. I may have no apparent standing in the hierarchy of this community, but I hold ranks with many others who are the same as me and appreciate ethical behavior, a welcoming community, and fun. Alienating people with snark and slight will not promote any of that.

Even if this amounts to nothing in terms of changing guidelines and rules, it started a conversation about what has been going on, and where folks may want to see things go. I just hope that we can all inspire a clear sense of community for and advocacy from all parties involved. If a tacit approach is your method, so be it. I just don't see the harm in giving people a chance to voice their ideas so we can all participate in a fun, welcoming, ethical community. And I started this thread to do just that...give a thread where people can feel comfortable suggesting ideas without being marginalized.

I'd also like to say that there's no need to get personal, be offended, or become emotional (well, passionate is okay, but hurt is not).

It's just a thing. There's a perception amongst several people that there is a problem. So let's discuss whether there actually is a problem and if there is, what to do about it. Let's think of the ways that this (if we do anything) could benefit ourselves, new buyers, the vendors, and new vendors too, who may be getting into this as a hobby and really know very little about running a business.

Just please don't take it personally. I know NS didn't start this thread to slam any person specifically. If you don't like an idea, it's perfectly okay to say so. Just please say so in a neutral or constructive fashion. "I'm not sure that's a good idea, here's why, and here are my alternative suggestions." Or "I'm not sure that's a good idea, because it's an awful lot of work to correct something that is not, ultimately, a big problem." Address the argument, not the arguer.

There's potential for something good & constructive to come out of this. Let's not load it down with angst.

I'm now backing off of my suggestion about presenting a list of guidelines to Groundspeak, because it seems that the major problems have been with two vendors who seem (seem) to be getting their act in order (and Groundspeak probably woudn't be interested anyway, which seems to be the gist of Eartha's post). Someone else suggested a buyer's guide, which I think is a really good idea. We can use it to educate buyers (especially new ones) about reservations & pre-sales, the difference between rough art, mint art and samples, and talk about the terms "XLE", "LE", and all those other "Es" that people sell. There could be recommendations about handling pre-sales (using credit cards, asking for refunds, etc).

What about a vendor's guide? Can you established vendors write down what you think are your own basic good business practices? What's made you successful (besides good designs)? How do you handle deadbeat customers?

Edited for: grammar and clarity.

Edited by Jackalgirl

I didn't start this thread to be the voice. I started it to get a conversation going. I'm not trying to make my opinion louder than anyone else's, simply because I started this thread. I speak for nobody but myself, and respect the efforts of others to suggest, correct and enlighten all of us.

That being said...

I've enjoyed the ideas that are coming out of this, and, save for a few divergent responses, I think it has been productive. I may have no apparent standing in the hierarchy of this community, but I hold ranks with many others who are the same as me and appreciate ethical behavior, a welcoming community, and fun. Alienating people with snark and slight will not promote any of that.

Even if this amounts to nothing in terms of changing guidelines and rules, it started a conversation about what has been going on, and where folks may want to see things go. I just hope that we can all inspire a clear sense of community for and advocacy from all parties involved. If a tacit approach is your method, so be it. I just don't see the harm in giving people a chance to voice their ideas so we can all participate in a fun, welcoming, ethical community. And I started this thread to do just that...give a thread where people can feel comfortable suggesting ideas without being marginalized.

I don't appreciate your dig at me. You don't want this to turn into a personal tit for tat yet you post this?

I've posted my thoughts from a vendor perspective yet it's like most people aren't even reading half of what is posted here (some admittedly). It's like reading a witch hunt story but you're hunting the good witches. Let's punish the good witches.

You welcome a fun community? Have you ever read my posts in other threads? Have I not used humor to help relieve some of the frustration many times? That is my style, did I not use plenty of emoticons last post? My goodness, now I'm accused of being snarky and marginalizing you or others? I won't apologize for trying to lighten things up.

I am so freakin tired of seeing these threads because when I see them, I see how they would affect me and some of my vendor friends if the remote possibility of suggestions came to fruition. I can't see it happening personally but hey post away.

Just because I rally towards not having these suggestions take place, that makes me snarky, marginalizing and better than others? WOW!

The way you word some of your posts makes me feel like a child that is unwelcome here because I'm not upholding your idea of posting etiquette for this thread. Now where is the fun and welcoming in that?

My last post was meant in fun but there is also a serious element to it in that if you (meaning the community) are going to put all these restrictions and requirements on the vendors, than you may have to pay for that extra time. It works both ways but it appears the whole point of the post was lost because it was taken as a personal slight.

You know, I care about this community more than you will ever know and I prove that by my actions in a number of ways. I give 110% and I am entitled to my thoughts and opinions and I won't be told how to express them. If I want to make fun out of the process than I will because it keeps me from taking all this too seriously. If you got a problem with me, by all means you send me an email and I'll tell you exactly what I meant by my post. I enjoy a good laugh and this geocoin forum has been laughless for way to long.

You're not a geocoin vendor and you don't know what it's like to keep reading this stuff from a vendor perspective. IT SUCKS! Especially when you know you have given everything you possibly can only to watch something like this that does not reward a vendor for continuing to do a good job but only hurts them.

I don't begrudge you a thread for discussing ways to improve BAD VENDOR behavior but let's not drag the rest of us in with that group.

Problem I see here is that the actions some are calling for don't affect them in any way. I don't like it and I don't have to. I'm torn between keeping my mouth shut and just waiting for this to die its eventual death or kep trying to get people to wake up and readjust their perspective in how they are viewing this. If I choose to use humor to do it, I guess that makes me a jerk in some of your eyes and well I guess I'm a jerk then.

Just don't accuse me of being snarky and marginalizing because that isn't my style and IF I wanted to do it, trust me, you'd know it because I'm not one who is afraid to open my mouth and say what I think.

It's threads like this when I begin to ask myself "why do I even try?" It's never enough for some people and I need to get that through my thick skull.

I'm done, I'll stick to my drawing, minting coins and having fun in my own threads since I'm not allowed to have fun and post in a manner that isn't approved of by some others.

Adios......

Edited by tsunrisebey

NeverSummer,

I did want to contribute one more suggestion to this thread and then I promise I'm done :D

ON the way home from work, I stopped at Target and picked up a couple things for myself and the dogs. It gave me some time to reflect on much of what has been said here.

I have decided to form a geocoin vendor committee. I have elected myself President, Treasurer and VP too :laughing: Since I have been actively engaging in this forum and trying to be helpful in other forums, given away ALOT of coins over the course of 2 years it is my decision that in anticipation of the time spent here and in other threads and possibly having additional duties added to my geocoin business that I will now charge a dollar more per coin, possibly more depending on how much more I may have to assist the geocoin community :laughing: If you are currently not a customer but you have participated in this thread or even read this thread, I will be sending you a paypal invoice for possibly having to deal with you or thinking about being your geocoin vendor. Charges for unruly customers, readers and particpaters will be $2.00 per coin more. Please act accordingly.

I will also be sending my committee meeting notes to the other vendors and suggesting that they now charge more for possibly all the additional things they might have to do :D :D :D

Have yourselves a wonderful wee evening. I can't wait to see my paypal account shoot to the moon now that I have instituted these changes :D

To the moon Alice, to the moon. :D

Now that was funny.

Just a thought, but why not build in a public trade-center? A simple trade-wizard type format. You can initialize a trade, both parties have a chance to sign in and enter there items of trade, both parties sign out with a review upon receiving their items. A review could a be a simple 1-5 scale rating for timeliness/item condition/communication, etc. It wouldn't be a mandatory system, but it would be a way to build a rating as a coin trader/vendor in good standing. You could build a reputation similar to ebay and if you had a growing number of issues, others would see it reflected here. I think only your trade standing reputation should show publicly though so that you could make trades without revealing the items involved. This would help when trying to make trades for gift coins, etc. If something like this were built would you be willing to use it? If not, why not?

Interesting idea...I think I would use it...would need to know more.

It would basically be an open posting form. Similar to the coin/tag/sig trading sites any member could choose to use this function. It wouldn't be required for trades, but simply reinforce your reputation as a reliable trader by putting the proof of your consistency out there. A potential trader could post who s/he is trading with, what is being traded and there could be room for snailmail or notes. Once you set up your proposed trade then the other party would confirm the trade. Mail is exchanged and upon arrival each party would check back in and signify receiving their mail and could report on the experience with a simple poll system that would result in a satisfaction rating percentage similar to ebay. People outside the exchange would only see your geo-name and satisfaction rating (and comments made on trade success/issues). Trades would be kept private, but your trade rating could be part of your geo-identity or profile.

Take any personal matters off line.

Done. And my last post was not intended to have an arrow pointing anywhere. Honestly. I can see how it comes across that way, and I've made contact to explain. :D

Fox-and-the-hound, I'm interested in what you're talking about. It could be useful to add that to a sig line to help build a reputation and possibly increase reliability in trades. Any idea what it would take to get it started?

So, I get the feeling most agree, there are plenty of good and great vendors out there. I can't imagine that things need to change for them. As for folks who are new to "vending", perhaps some well-intended guidance through the process could be of great benefit for the vendor and buyers.

So, anyone able to form up a summary of what has been mentioned so far? There have been some interesting ideas that seem like they may not add too much strain to the process.

I've mentioned a few things, but it really isn't just up to me to talk about it. I only started the thread...the conversation is for everyone.

...and I was serious. That was a good one. It is how it has been going, and how it's likely to go, but we could improve that situation.

As for folks who are new to "vending", perhaps some well-intended guidance through the process could be of great benefit for the vendor and buyers.

So perhaps a mentorship program for new vendors?

Then there's post #52, and #74. And #2.

But it's more good stuff in the community's ideas, too. The conversation has been going well overall, so we can look there, too.

By bringing in registries, rules and committees and what ever else, all you do is create overhead, hard feelings and possibly drive out the good and honest vendors/traders. The folks that are not on the up-and-up are going to find other ways to do things and won't participate anyway. And I'll bet regardless of a poor vendor rating, if they put out a nice coin, people would still buy it. So all you will accomplish is a sort of chastisement of the vendors that are already doing a great job for us. My feeling is that if you want to trade with me great, if you don't great. If you want to buy one of our coins great, if not then that's fine too...but I don't have the time or energy to spend convincing people to do so.

When I first started coming to these forums I used to post quite a bit. Then a few bad things happened but I felt I couldn't say anything because omg, we're all cachers and cachers are good people so you can't say anything bad about anyone. Then some brave souls started a 'Bad Vendor' thread and while it got very heated and personal at times, which was unfortunate, the real reason it did so is because of the previous silence. All the pent up anger came out and it was like a flood. Speaking out allowed better understanding of the hidden world and the true penalty will be reduced sales for those vendors in the future.

So rather than more rules to keep things 'nice', I think what is really needed is a forum that promotes honest, open dialogue and isn't afraid to allow slightly 'off topic' banter topics from time to time. The worst thing that happens to these forums is the silence it tends promote. Why can't we discuss delinquent vendors and customers? Why can't we discuss non-trackable coins? Why can't we discuss pathtags and yet can discuss wooden nickels? I think before we start adding more rules and more restrictions, maybe we need to fix some of the ones we currently have. Less rules and overhead is needed, not more. By allowing open discussion, the good vendors benefit and poor don't.

I'm tired so I hope this rambling makes sense...

Edited by Theotokos

I am a newbie to coins and have a few thoughts coming as a newbie and purchasing coins. Since I am new I don't know who is or is not on the to be on the trusted side. Before I decide to buy coins from anyone I feel it is my responsibility to go through the process of determining who is trustworthy and who is not. I do this by going through the forums and reading people's threads sales of past sales and cointests, going to their page and reading posts they have left. In this way I can get a general feel of how the person is regarded here.

This being said I also have come to realize who many of the regulars are and feel that I could email or pm many of them to find out if there is anything I should be aware of. I have gathered that there was a problem with a vendor late last spring, early summer and it has left its mark as it rightly should. In the end we are all responsible for the decisions we make when it comes to spending money.

I have gathered that this was sparked by a different thread about a person not receiving a coin from a cointest. I feel, if a person has been cheated they should be able to post the specifics without getting nasty about it so that others can become aware, and then others can decide in the future if they want to deal with the person involved. In this way you establish a honesty system, if one person continually renigs on deals then chances are that person get a reputation and will be left high and dry in future ventures on the forums.

If I know a person wasn't treated right or overcharged at a store the chances that I will continue to shop there are greathly diminished. If I don't think I'm going to get a coin based on info from the forums, than shame on me for ordering from them in the first place, they have the coin and my money.

I know ordering coins are small potatoes compared to buying something like a tv, but don't you go to businesses you trust, or do research about where you spend your money. It is always buyer beware when you buy something. Many stores offer refunds but are not required to, it is the buyers responsibility to find out a return policy BEFORE the purchase is made. Deciding who to buy from is the buyers responsibility, so stop being lazy and do your work before you buy.

If vendors have to start implementing a bunch of new guidelines, who will pay probably the consumers because of all the extra work. More red tape means higher prices for everyone all around.

Of course we live in a society where people will pay 3x the price for a game system instead of waiting for them to be more readily available, or tickets to a certain teen singer went for 6x face value all because some child wanted to see it. Great way to teach values, both money values and values in life that count. I am afraid to see what the future holds in some respects.

If this post is totally off topic I apologize, I haven't read through all the posts, looked at the beginning posts and the last page. If this has already been stated then again I apologize.

Kmmlynch

PS The two purchases I have made from individual designers here have been great, one was in the USA the other international. I have also decided against buying some coins from a designer selling on that e place based on posts I read regarding the seller (designer) from several posts. There will be others I will like.

Edited by kmmlynch

Maybe the person that instigated this thread (FSM) should contribute his thoughts.... as many others ... in regards to this thread.. I'm done.

Actually, I didn't instigate this thread. I merely suggested that it be opened to keep another thread on topic.

Eartha has provided a brief summary of the moderators involvement in the approved vendor listing, etc. and we may have our own thoughts as to how things should be run but we try to keep those to ourselves and post opinions with our player accounts.

This has been interesting reading and we appreciate the efforts to stay civilized and on topic here.

Thanks.

That being said...

I don't appreciate your dig at me. You don't want this to turn into a personal tit for tat yet you post this?

I've posted my thoughts from a vendor perspective yet it's like most people aren't even reading half of what is posted here (some admittedly). It's like reading a witch hunt story but you're hunting the good witches. Let's punish the good witches.

You welcome a fun community? Have you ever read my posts in other threads? Have I not used humor to help relieve some of the frustration many times? That is my style, did I not use plenty of emoticons last post? My goodness, now I'm accused of being snarky and marginalizing you or others? I won't apologize for trying to lighten things up.

I am so freakin tired of seeing these threads because when I see them, I see how they would affect me and some of my vendor friends if the remote possibility of suggestions came to fruition. I can't see it happening personally but hey post away.

Just because I rally towards not having these suggestions take place, that makes me snarky, marginalizing and better than others? WOW!

The way you word some of your posts makes me feel like a child that is unwelcome here because I'm not upholding your idea of posting etiquette for this thread. Now where is the fun and welcoming in that?

My last post was meant in fun but there is also a serious element to it in that if you (meaning the community) are going to put all these restrictions and requirements on the vendors, than you may have to pay for that extra time. It works both ways but it appears the whole point of the post was lost because it was taken as a personal slight.

You know, I care about this community more than you will ever know and I prove that by my actions in a number of ways. I give 110% and I am entitled to my thoughts and opinions and I won't be told how to express them. If I want to make fun out of the process than I will because it keeps me from taking all this too seriously. If you got a problem with me, by all means you send me an email and I'll tell you exactly what I meant by my post. I enjoy a good laugh and this geocoin forum has been laughless for way to long.

You're not a geocoin vendor and you don't know what it's like to keep reading this stuff from a vendor perspective. IT SUCKS! Especially when you know you have given everything you possibly can only to watch something like this that does not reward a vendor for continuing to do a good job but only hurts them.

I don't begrudge you a thread for discussing ways to improve BAD VENDOR behavior but let's not drag the rest of us in with that group.

Problem I see here is that the actions some are calling for don't affect them in any way. I don't like it and I don't have to. I'm torn between keeping my mouth shut and just waiting for this to die its eventual death or kep trying to get people to wake up and readjust their perspective in how they are viewing this. If I choose to use humor to do it, I guess that makes me a jerk in some of your eyes and well I guess I'm a jerk then.

Just don't accuse me of being snarky and marginalizing because that isn't my style and IF I wanted to do it, trust me, you'd know it because I'm not one who is afraid to open my mouth and say what I think.

It's threads like this when I begin to ask myself "why do I even try?" It's never enough for some people and I need to get that through my thick skull.

I'm done, I'll stick to my drawing, minting coins and having fun in my own threads since I'm not allowed to have fun and post in a manner that isn't approved of by some others.

Adios......

Hey, you can't walk away twice! :laughing:

Don't worry kiddo, I think most of us understand!! I agree too, we can't force more work on the vendors, it's not the vendors' fault a few had hard times and made poor decisions! Asking the vendors to make changes because of a few bad actions isn't fair and won't be helpful in the long run, we don't want to do this, right??

I see this as mostly a buyer beware type move, we need to find ways to protect ourselves and, in the mean time, make this the fun place it has been for so long!! The squibbling and angst isn't helpful, people becoming mad and lashing out won't make things better! So, let's just get to the problem at hand in a friendly manner (and I hope Tsun will come back as well as other vendors so we can get perspectives beyond what we've already got).

First, is there even a problem? I don't so much see a problem from the vendors' side, most vendors are reliable and many go above and beyond to make people happy!! You guys are some great people, keep up the good work!! I truly feel that some of us need to realize a few bad exchanges are likely to happen with soooo mnay sales going on, there's a lot of coins for sale out there!! :lol: We should take steps to minimize these problems and keep ourselves happy!

The buyer's guide would likely go a long ways to do this!! Maybe we should all think about what the guide should say and put some words to post (I'd say paper, but.... :laughing:)? Again, this wouldn't be any kind of mandate, more a guide to let new coiners know what is what, who is who and how things are done?? I wonder if the PTB would allow us to make a sticky lists the good, the bad and the usual? Well, maybe just the good and the usual (meaning the good vendors and the normal things that happen for a coin to come out)!

Until we can agree on what the problem is (if there truly is one) we'll not get far, I see this thread as going toward this. I hope we can continue on!

My thoughts:

I am against the idea of limiting when a coin can be announced (when samples are in etc), I like to see the ideas and such of some coins long before they come out... Also, with so many coins being made and fighting for our purchases, I like to know what will be coming so I can save my pennies (if I were to want to buy, which isn't often unfortunately). Now, pre-sales where NO MONEY is taken is a great thing for buyers and sellers alike (I think...tell me if I'm wrong please), it lets us voice our desire and allows the vendors to plan accordingly! Most vendors have shied away from taking money early now, so I don't really see this as a problem.

Buyers shouldn't be so fast to hit the buy button. Buy with your heart, but use your head! DON'T offer to buy a big quantity of a coin and then back out!! This is more of a problem for our vendor friends and could bite us in the rear as well! Don't think you need to "corner the market" by buying up as many as possible so you can maybe trade later...unless you plan to follow through and actually BUY them (this is going to the pre-sales so everyone understands)!

Buyers also need to understand not all sales will go smoothly for the buyer or the vendor...problems at the mints, delays in shipping, customs etc. Know going in that a delay might happen and make every effort to converse with the vendors for a good and fun transaction!! Same with the vendors, don't leave the buyers hanging, COMMUNICATE (I think we can all guess who I'm thinking of here...right???).

Ok, enough from me for now, what do you all feel?? Shoot me now or wait until I get home??? :D:P:blink:

Let's all just remember that we're all in here to have FUN!!

And Tsun, love ya kid!!

Roddy,

Good food for thought!!!

Perhaps a quick heading on each sales thread, BY THE MODERATORS,

stating the venders history on coins sales, Be it good, bad or ugly.

Then it's enter at ones own risk.

If a buyer gets taken, they were warned, if a seller gets taken, they knew better.

Then no person has to take a verbal lashing from anyone on any thread or email.

NeverSummer was ASKED to start this thread by a moderator and doesn't deserve the things that was said to him. NO BODY does.

No persons Coin is better than another and NO ONE should sit on a high horse and look down on others in this forum. It doesn't matter who's been where the longest or has done what for this commuity.

This was a thread for BAD dealings with QUESTIONAL vendors. Why any REPUTABLE vender would take offenense is beyond me.

I pay a membership, I give away coins.I have every right to give an opinion. and not get a lashing for it, JUST like anybody else.

57Chevy said it best, BAD things happen to GOOD people. Be warned!!!

I don't see this thread going anywhere and perhaps it shold be ALL SAID AN DONE.

JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION,

O

Roddy,

Good food for thought!!!

Perhaps a quick heading on each sales thread, BY THE MODERATORS,

stating the venders history on coins sales, Be it good, bad or ugly.

Then it's enter at ones own risk.

If a buyer gets taken, they were warned, if a seller gets taken, they knew better.

I see where you're going with this, but I don't think it will fly -- for one, it requires the moderator to keep a really close tab on a company's practices. For another, it brings up the problems I was trying to address in previous posts: if a person complains about a company, how do you determine that the complaint is valid, that the vendor had a chance to rectify the problem, and that the vendor did or didn't rectify the problem?

If I were a moderator, I would really not want to have to deal with something like that. There are just too many options for screwing up in a very bad way for everyone involved.

What might be better is to put something in the buyer's guide -- something that points, for example, to the vendor feedback/delay thread, and says "this is a good thread to monitor. Beware when buying from companies who have a habitual presence in this area".

One could also post in the vendor's thread saying "I'm afraid I will pass because I ordered x coins from you a year and a half ago and never received them, tried numerous times to contact you offline, requested a refund 20 times, and heard nothing from you -- please see the vendor feedback and delay thread for more information."

The only problem with that approach is, of course, that some very angry customer might use the thread as a first-resort and be, well, angry and angsty about it in a way that causes the thread to be a morass of back-and-forth bickering. I suppose if someone tried that, the rest of us could point him or her to the vendor feedback thread...in a matter-of-fact way...

Real Good Point,

Maybe just a link to the thread, or something like that.

Perhaps it goes back to the start. When someone opens a thread to a coin sale, it's up to the community to police it and say."read This" or something to that effect, to a potential buyer that may not know.

GOOD communication is the key, me thinks.....

Opalsns

I am absolutely 100% in agreement with you here. Good-quality communication is the key, with factual, objective information -- (that is, where it is substantiated). I do think that the problems so far have been pretty limited, and I don't actually see that we're going to have to swing into action in this way very often at all. Most of the vendors I've dealt with have been just fine and I'm very happy to say so. : )

What do you think of my idea about putting a wiki page for buyers at trackablecoins.com? Is that a good spot for it? I'm thinking that it could be full of a lot of the esoteric stuff that would help out new buyers (heck, it would help out me), such as what terms like "LE", "XLE", etc mean, plus a section about what other acronyms mean (like "AC" for "antique copper"), discussion of trackable vs. non-trackable, activated vs. non-activated, etc.

Would the vendors be interested in coming up with an introduction to vending for other potentially new vendors, to make suggestions about what the baseline "good practices" are for the geocoin vendor community?

Edited to add: not wanting to reinvent the wheel, too -- there's a lot of good information in the pinned threads (duh, JG, that's why they're pinned) which could form the basis for "...read more about this" links. Or we could just make sure that if we see people who seem like they've been on the Forum since Breakfast, that we tell them about those threads...

Edited by Jackalgirl

Fox-and-the-hound, I'm interested in what you're talking about. It could be useful to add that to a sig line to help build a reputation and possibly increase reliability in trades. Any idea what it would take to get it started?

I think it would have to be generated by Groundspeak to appear in a sig, but it would only be a guide similar to your other stats or attributes listed to a cache. I can't imagine it's terribly difficult to set up though. It would more or less work like the PM system, but your name, trade status and comments would show. Maybe comments is the one part that shouldn't though. That might necessitate someone to monitor everything being written. A simple yes/no/pending type poll system would probably be better. If you have X active trades for 6+ months and no one receiving their end of the trade, I'm betting people will draw their own conclusions without name calling, negativity or other. :P

I am absolutely 100% in agreement with you here. Good-quality communication is the key, with factual, objective information -- (that is, where it is substantiated). I do think that the problems so far have been pretty limited, and I don't actually see that we're going to have to swing into action in this way very often at all. Most of the vendors I've dealt with have been just fine and I'm very happy to say so. : )

What do you think of my idea about putting a wiki page for buyers at trackablecoins.com? Is that a good spot for it? I'm thinking that it could be full of a lot of the esoteric stuff that would help out new buyers (heck, it would help out me), such as what terms like "LE", "XLE", etc mean, plus a section about what other acronyms mean (like "AC" for "antique copper"), discussion of trackable vs. non-trackable, activated vs. non-activated, etc.

Would the vendors be interested in coming up with an introduction to vending for other potentially new vendors, to make suggestions about what the baseline "good practices" are for the geocoin vendor community?

Edited to add: not wanting to reinvent the wheel, too -- there's a lot of good information in the pinned threads (duh, JG, that's why they're pinned) which could form the basis for "...read more about this" links. Or we could just make sure that if we see people who seem like they've been on the Forum since Breakfast, that we tell them about those threads...

JG, I think you're on to something. I'd be willing to help compile info to toss into a FAQ-type update. Would anyone like to help, or contribute off line about this?

I think with all of the vendors who have 1, been vending a while and 2, demonstrate ideal business on the forums, there could be an FYI/advice/FAQ that could prove very helpful to new vendors and inquisitive buyers. Also, if some kind of "buyer's wiki" was made, it would be a very easy link to provide if a lurker or new collector has questions. I know it would be some work initially, but could prove very helpful and informative in the long run...

Not to reinvent the wheel, as JG said, but to toss some new rubber on after some well-travelled miles?

In the interests of educating the community (as a result of the suggestions on this thread), I started up a couple of pages at the coin wiki (Trackable Coins).

The Vendors Guide is at http://www.trackablecoins.com/index.php?title=Vendors_guide -- my intention was really for this to be a basic "best practices" article aimed at new vendors, and it may be overly complicated. It also doesn't include some basic references, such as the pinned topics here describing Groundspeak's minting requirements (which I will add in a few minutes).

The Buyers Guide is at http://www.trackablecoins.com/index.php?title=Buyers_guide

and likewise has a lot of work to do (mostly I just need to start looking at the established references, quote them, and cite them). There's nothing in the Buyer's Guide about what to do (and what not to do) when you have problems with vendors. Not yet, at least.

Anyway, if you're interested in such things or think it might be useful, please head on over and take a look. All constructive criticism is welcome (and feel free to wade on in). The only thing I request is that if you think that this is the dumbest idea to hit the road since boats made out of ice and plywood, that you just ignore the articles entirely. The true test of their usefulness is whether they're used and kept up-to-date; if you think they'll fail at that, then please just let them fail.

Thanks!

In the interests of educating the community (as a result of the suggestions on this thread), I started up a couple of pages at the coin wiki (Trackable Coins).

The Vendors Guide is at http://www.trackablecoins.com/index.php?title=Vendors_guide -- my intention was really for this to be a basic "best practices" article aimed at new vendors, and it may be overly complicated. It also doesn't include some basic references, such as the pinned topics here describing Groundspeak's minting requirements (which I will add in a few minutes).

The Buyers Guide is at http://www.trackablecoins.com/index.php?title=Buyers_guide

and likewise has a lot of work to do (mostly I just need to start looking at the established references, quote them, and cite them). There's nothing in the Buyer's Guide about what to do (and what not to do) when you have problems with vendors. Not yet, at least.

Anyway, if you're interested in such things or think it might be useful, please head on over and take a look. All constructive criticism is welcome (and feel free to wade on in). The only thing I request is that if you think that this is the dumbest idea to hit the road since boats made out of ice and plywood, that you just ignore the articles entirely. The true test of their usefulness is whether they're used and kept up-to-date; if you think they'll fail at that, then please just let them fail.

Thanks!

Awesome work, JG! Thanks for taking the time to get that done! Let me know if there is anything i can do to help!

Awesome work, JG! Thanks for taking the time to get that done! Let me know if there is anything i can do to help!

Thanks, but I really feel like I've just barely scratched the surface!

There are a lot of placeholders in the for text, and I'll be dropping more text in there as I get time to hack at it. If anyone has any suggestions, please don't hesitate to post something here, email me, or heck, just wade on in and add to the article. Please don't take offense if I go in there and rework your text to keep the "voice" of the article consistent, but I promise to change as little as possible.

Oh, and I'll be shooting out some messages to people asking for permission to use their photos and/or photos of their coins to illustrate the article.

The Vendors Guide is one I'm really going to need a lot of help with. So any of you vendor-types who thinks that something like this is useful, please feel free to shoot me some suggestions or, again, just go ahead and take the ol' hacksaw to the article.

Thanks!