Container destruction, how many times before...

We are going to Europe later this year and want to cache in France, Switzerland and Italy - does anyone know an easy way to translate foreign caches into English ? thanks so much !

I have a cache GC1DR0N The container has been replaced 4 times, twice mentioned in the logs.

So far it is getting damaged every 1.75 months or 5.5 finds.

I have begun to suspect that more than one person found it by stepping on it, not that I blame them...

<spoiler>

Stepping into a Faerie Tree Ring is hard to resist even if you haven't found what you are looking for.

</spoiler>

But because I cant find and/or afford a suitable metal container I'm considering archiving it.

That got me to wondering "How many times in what period of time do other CO's have to replace a container before they decide to archive a cache?"

I suppose that as long as your intention at the time of placement fits the permanence guidelines, nobody can really be too upset if you archived it any time at all.

We realize that it is possible that a planned long-term cache occasionally becomes finite because of concerns with the environment, missing or plundered caches, or the owner’s decision to remove the cache for other valid reasons. Please do your best to research fully, hide wisely, and maintain properly for a long cache life.
Basically, it is completely up to you. Some would replace it every time for an indefinite period, others would archive it after the 1st container was destroyed.

It depends on what is causing the container to break. Some of my first cache containers were learning experiences. What I thought was waterproof and cold-weather hardy was not.

I use Lock N Lock containers a lot, so I'm kind of surprised that your last container broke. These containers are usually very hardy and hold up well in all kinds of weather. Also, they are certainly weatherproof. Since the last log mentioned that the cache was cracked and frozen in place, it might be an indicator that you should look for a drier location where water and snowmelt won't pond and freeze. I would guess that the container could have become cracked trying to wrestle it out of the ice. If the cache is wedged into a small space that requires some work to get it out into the open, that might also lead to damage.

Certainly, you can archive the cache, but you might look for a better hiding spot nearby and submit the new coordinates.

I'll see if I can take a trip up there in a few days to find your cache. I might be able to e-mail you with some possible better hiding places or ways to keep the cache from being damaged.

Lock-n-Locks encased in ice can and do get crushed by the freeze thaw cycle.

Get it up off the ground, behind something, under something - protected somehow. Move it up to 100 feet if necessary and update the coordinates. If that isn't feasible within 100 feet or so - I'd archive it and look for a better location.

30 Cal ammo boxes are about the same price as a lock-n-lock as well. But even a metal ammocan is vulnerable to being beatern to death if it regularly gets frozen to the ground.

To maintain why I chose the location I would have to move the cache vertically. Moving it up and still keep it hidden would dramatically increase the terrain difficulty.

I could always replace it with a mic but I dislike them in locations that can except larger.

I'll see if I can take a trip up there in a few days to find your cache. I might be able to e-mail you with some possible better hiding places or ways to keep the cache from being damaged.

If you can get into it, please liberate the TB in it.

I know not many people like nano's. This one I had really wasn't too hard to find. I replaced it twice after it came up missing. Last week I received an email from a cacher who found it but, couldn't open it. I had it in an area were there could be a possibility of ice on the cache. However, I couldn't open it either. After looking it over (took it home). Someone had actually glued it shut. Now, I know these are relatively cheap and I could have replaced it again. However, this would have been the 4th container in just a little over a year in the same place. So, I went ahead and archived it. One time missing okay, twice possible someone did something on purpose. This time it was intentional. I guess it just depends on how many times you want to keep replacing caches.

To OP: Maybe cover the cache with a load-bearing plate, like a piece of wood or sheet metal or large flat rock?

I know not many people like nano's. This one I had really wasn't too hard to find. I replaced it twice after it came up missing. Last week I received an email from a cacher who found it but, couldn't open it. I had it in an area were there could be a possibility of ice on the cache. However, I couldn't open it either. After looking it over (took it home). Someone had actually glued it shut. Now, I know these are relatively cheap and I could have replaced it again. However, this would have been the 4th container in just a little over a year in the same place. So, I went ahead and archived it. One time missing okay, twice possible someone did something on purpose. This time it was intentional. I guess it just depends on how many times you want to keep replacing caches.

Pay attention to new caches placed within 528-ft of your archived cache. It's a possibility that someone wanted to place a cache in the area but was blocked by yours.

To OP: Maybe cover the cache with a load-bearing plate, like a piece of wood or sheet metal or large flat rock?

Pay attention to new caches placed within 528-ft of your archived cache. It's a possibility that someone wanted to place a cache in the area but was blocked by yours.

It's always a possibility. There's a new foot bridge being built nearby. So, who knows.

We are going to Europe later this year and want to cache in France, Switzerland and Italy - does anyone know an easy way to translate foreign caches into English ? thanks so much !

I have a cache GC1DR0N The container has been replaced 4 times, twice mentioned in the logs.

So far it is getting damaged every 1.75 months or 5.5 finds.

I have begun to suspect that more than one person found it by stepping on it, not that I blame them...

<spoiler>

Stepping into a Faerie Tree Ring is hard to resist even if you haven't found what you are looking for.

</spoiler>

But because I cant find and/or afford a suitable metal container I'm considering archiving it.

That got me to wondering "How many times in what period of time do other CO's have to replace a container before they decide to archive a cache?"

How is it that people are can step on it when they are looking for it. Is it buried?

How is it that people are can step on it when they are looking for it. Is it buried?

That is a question where Mr. Technical has to rear his head...

I have to assume by the lack of additional detail in you question that that by buried, you mean "Is it placed in a hole and has some or all of the original contents of the hole placed back on top of it."

In that context the answer would be an emphatic "NO! That is against the basic guidelines."

How ever, I must point out that bury also means "to cover from view" and using this portion of the definition I have to say "Yes, It is under leaves."

And are you saying that with almost 3k in finds that you have never stepped on a cache you where looking for?

I suppose that as long as your intention at the time of placement fits the permanence guidelines, nobody can really be too upset if you archived it any time at all.

We realize that it is possible that a planned long-term cache occasionally becomes finite because of concerns with the environment, missing or plundered caches, or the owner’s decision to remove the cache for other valid reasons. Please do your best to research fully, hide wisely, and maintain properly for a long cache life.
Basically, it is completely up to you. Some would replace it every time for an indefinite period, others would archive it after the 1st container was destroyed.

That sums it up.

You have to use your judgment on what's causing the breakages. For me vandalism would be an archive it thing. IF it's just wear and tear...I'd consider replacing it with something better. The more I like the cache the more work I'll do to maintain it. The less I like it the less.

It's all up to the individual.

That is a question where Mr. Technical has to rear his head...

I have to assume by the lack of additional detail in you question that that by buried, you mean "Is it placed in a hole and has some or all of the original contents of the hole placed back on top of it."

In that context the answer would be an emphatic "NO! That is against the basic guidelines."

How ever, I must point out that bury also means "to cover from view" and using this portion of the definition I have to say "Yes, It is under leaves."

And are you saying that with almost 3k in finds that you have never stepped on a cache you where looking for?

I have stepped on two burried caches, both of which were soon archived by the local reviewer. I have stepped a couple of covered caches, the only one in which the container did not hold up was an old food conatiner like margerine comes in.

Maybe you need a better container