Opinions on PDA for paperless caching

I've decided to try to find a used PDA on ebay strictly for geocaching. I've read a bit about cachemate and it seems to be the way to go. My question is about PDA models, if one is being used strictly for geocaching does the model really matter? Can I get by with an older series Palm Pilot, or do I need a newer one to do this sucessfully? Any input from cachers who have gone paperless, especially those who have used more than one type of PDA, would be greatly appreciated.

Older definitely works. I've got an m125, and it runs Cachemate just fine. This particular model has 8mb of onboard memory. I've got about 2000 caches and it only takes about 3 mb. I can add an SD card to the Palm for more storage if I need. The m125 is a B/W model, but actually works better than the color versions since they wash out so much in the sunlight. This model also was the last Palm to take AAA batteries, which are easier to replace than the rechargeable lion batteries. Bottom line, an old Palm works just fine. You don't need a lot of bells and whistles to run Cachemate.

The M125 is okay, I have a M500. No issues with battery life. I prefer the LCD screens verses the color screens. The color screens tend to wash out in the sun, LCD are great in bright light. Of course the suck a bit on night caches.

If your a GSAK user GSAK will generate the palm files directly and if you log in the field cachematelogging eases the logging chores when you get home.

Jim

My Palm M500 or M550 got a second life when I started using it with Cachemate three years ago. It's main limitation is it doesn't accept cache page graphics so I can't view photos or puzzle graphics. The backlight feature works well for night viewing, but it is a bit challenging to keep it working below 0° F or so.

I've used both M125's and M500/515's - all gotten on Ebay. Both work great. One word of caution - Palm doesn't support these models under Vista OS.

Actually I have to disagree with you Jester. My palm M500 works just fine with my Vista laptop. The problem with Vista is there are two different versions, 32 bit and 64 bit. The 32 bit is the OS supported by palm while the 64 bit version is not. For 32 bit support you need 6.something desktop. For the 64 bit versions as long as you have a SD card slot there are easy ways of getting the support needed. Looking at computers at Costco, BB and CC I note the 64 bit version is getting more common.

Jim

My Palm M500 or M550 got a second life when I started using it with Cachemate three years ago. It's main limitation is it doesn't accept cache page graphics so I can't view photos or puzzle graphics. The backlight feature works well for night viewing, but it is a bit challenging to keep it working below 0° F or so.

Well, here's hoping that I won't be doing too much caching in sub zero temps. ;} Thank you all for the quick response, I'll probably be ordering a 500 series palm off of ebay today.

Happy hunting.

Just another suggestion, I use a REALLY old Palm: the IIIxe. I can get these on ebay for about $10 - $15 including shipping, and I always keep an extra or two lying around for those times when I lose it or leave it somewhere. Just put the new one in the sync cradle and I'm good to go. Just another suggestion!

The cheaper the better!

Just make sure it comes with all the factory accessories, especially the installation CD.

I think the Palm desktop software can be downloaded for free from Palm. They have it for the M125-550 series, anyway.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/win_desktop.html

I've been using an iPAQ 2215 because I had it. I don't do much caching so I just make a text file for each one, named with the cache ID, and sort them into directories by general location, such as a local park. Then I dump the basic info into the text file. No software to buy, but definitely not optimal for d/l-ing several at a whack. The iPAQ was pretty expensive new, so I'm thinking about a Palm to use just for caching, and appreciate the info.

Jim

The cheaper the better!

One other note, if you can find a palm TX it has wireless support...could come in handy, if you get stuck you can head to a coffee shop and read the latest logs...or even do some logging

tjm

They make a wi-fi card for other palm units...if you dont want to go with a tx. I used to use a tungsten e2, but since I got my iPhone, its sat in the desk drawer unused. The nicest thing about the tungsten I bought a fold-out bluetooth keyboard for it. That thing was amazing. much better than the itty bitty phone/pda keyboards most other things use. I wish it would work with the iphone....

Well, I dont suggest purchasing cachemate from Smittyware. I just bought a copy tonight, and some issues. so I submitted a support ticket, and got some kinda nasty responses from the support team. Check out a copy of my support ticket at this link:

http://www.gigahype.net/smittywares_excellent_support.pdf

With that kind of attitude I dont recommend anyone send this guy one single cent.

I just purchased a Palm M505 off Ebay for $21 shipping included. I'm expecting it anyday now. I'll be anxious to start paperless caching. There are lots of M125s and M505s for sale in that price range. I don't think I'll have a heart attack if I drop $21 in a creek.

has anyone used a smartphone with windows mobile for the PQs, information about the cache, and logs? everything i've seen relates to the use of a palm based system...

I use a AT&T Tilt (windows mobile phone with built in gps) and actually call up this website on Opera Mobile while I'm looking for caches to read the clues or comments, and use Google Maps Mobile for locating them. Having satellite overlays of the maps helps a lot, not to mention turn by turn directions while on the road between caches. If you didn't have the data connection (30 bucks on top of your cell service) you could still use any number of free or cheap apps for using the GPS in the phone.

I should mention also that I use a Garmin eTrex Venture as well. The Venture is handy for getting me pointed in the right direction when closing in on the cache coords, but the phone does a pretty good job of getting me close enough to find it without having to turn on the 'real' GPS. Also there is some good freeware apps for the phone which give you many of the same features as a stand alone GPS including honing in fixed coordinates but you can't beat being able to just copy and paste the coordinates from a cache listing directly into Google Maps Mobile and 'seeing' the cache from the sky on your phone.

Edited by alkeva
Just another suggestion, I use a REALLY old Palm: the IIIxe. I can get these on ebay for about $10 - $15 including shipping, and I always keep an extra or two lying around for those times when I lose it or leave it somewhere. Just put the new one in the sync cradle and I'm good to go. Just another suggestion!

I thought I have the oldest caching PDA (Palm Vx) but you have me beat. The only problem with the older units is lack of USB - they connect to the serial (RS-232) port and most laptops don't come with one. And RS-232 is slow.

I got mine a few years back from eBay, and it surprisingly continues to work well. It even comes with a clamshell to protect the unit.

If you don't care about color, etc, and you've already got a video iPod, you can put most of the cache page info on it using the Notes function. This was a pretty slick way to save money since I already had the device for music, videos, and podcasts. I didn't have to buy a separate PDA just for geocaching.

Now I use a Garmin Oregon with paperless caching and my web-enabled LG Voyager for backup when there's a page with pictures I need to see (like a puzzle cache). It's better, but the iPod setup worked pretty good and I'd still be using it if my 8-year old blue Legend with serial cable wasn't starting to crap out.

I've used several Palms and HP IPAQs, all with Cachemate. All have served me well, but I have to give the nod to the IPAQs for readability in sunlight. Also, transferring your PQ is not an issue for the IPAQ, no matter which OS your computer uses, as it is a straight copy.

I have an IPAQ H2200 I plan on resurrecting, may need a new battery since it's been in a drawer for a couple years. I don't suppose you, or anyone else for that matter can email, jrrj@iw.net, me directions on how to utilize it for paperless geocaching? What software do I need? Will it work with Vista? As I don't have the install CD, is it available online? Sorry for the questions, but I haven't had a lot of time to research this yet. Thanks.

I use CacheMate on my PDA. I started using it on my Palm device (Tungsten T5) only because I already had one I used for everything else. I found that the Palm version of CacheMate has some limitations, and becomes very unstable if you have a single "database" with more than 3000 caches in it. Unstable to the point of crashing the PDA and causing loss of data in other apps as well as in CacheMate. For that Reason I had upgraded to an HP iPaq hx2490b I got for a decent deal refurbished. I have had as many as 12000 caches loaded in a single database on the iPaq, and other than a slow startup time it is very solid.

A local cacher to me strongly recommends the Palm IIIxe. This Palm has plenty of memory to hold caches (within the limits of what CacheMate can safely use). The other nice feature of the IIIxe is that it uses "AAA" batteries, so if they go dead on you in the field, you can just replace them and keep going. This route is a very cost effective way to go as you can generally pick them up on-line for under $30. Oh, and for those using Vista, the Palm IIIxe uses a serial interface, so it is supposed to work with Vista too.

I thought I have the oldest caching PDA (Palm Vx) but you have me beat. The only problem with the older units is lack of USB - they connect to the serial (RS-232) port and most laptops don't come with one. And RS-232 is slow.

I got mine a few years back from eBay, and it surprisingly continues to work well. It even comes with a clamshell to protect the unit.

I was looking at a IIIc on eBay and noticed they don't have USB, just some weird connector, and the serial port is on the cradle, where the power brick plugs in to recharge it also. But I also noticed on eBay that some third party outfit sells cables that are the weird connector on the unit to USB. It doesn't charge, it only does data, but I'll bet it's a lot faster than RS-232. You still have to set the unit in the cradle to charge it, but that's ok.

I think I'm just gonna get a Palm Centro cell phone though.

But I also noticed on eBay that some third party outfit sells cables that are the weird connector on the unit to USB. It doesn't charge, it only does data, but I'll bet it's a lot faster than RS-232. You still have to set the unit in the cradle to charge it, but that's ok.

It's not really a USB interface for the IIIc. It's a combo USB to serial dongle + serial cable. As far as the IIIc is concerned, it is still the same serial connection. To the PC, with the driver installed, it looks like another COM (RS-232) port. You'll still be stuck with RS-232 speed.

But I also noticed on eBay that some third party outfit sells cables that are the weird connector on the unit to USB. It doesn't charge, it only does data, but I'll bet it's a lot faster than RS-232. You still have to set the unit in the cradle to charge it, but that's ok.

It's not really a USB interface for the IIIc. It's a combo USB to serial dongle + serial cable. As far as the IIIc is concerned, it is still the same serial connection. To the PC, with the driver installed, it looks like another COM (RS-232) port. You'll still be stuck with RS-232 speed.

Oh that kind of stinks. Now my mind is definitely made up, more reason to get a Centro I think.

No legacy ports for me!