iPhone Users

We are starting to use it more and more while out running errands and have some time to take a cache break on the fly. Quick login and finding caches nearby is a great feature and being able to review comments for tips, etc.. for the harder ones has been a good use (as well as logging your visit, easy for a multi-run trip).

Still new to caching and keeping my Garmin close by, the two of them together are part of a great kit (ex. use Maps to help me get to a cross town location to find the cache).

I am currently only using an iPhone. Who else does this?

We use only the iPhone, and love it! I mean the app from Groundspeak isn't perfect yet....but has been performing well for us.

We love the way you can see the Google maps, log history, search for caches near your location...all from the palm of your hand. I can't imagine doing it any other way now. :ph34r:

I use it alone sometimes, I find the compass pretty worthless. However the satelite map is awesome, you can pinpoint the cache with nearby landmarks.

Yes, that is definitely the way to go.

I found the pointer and update/refresh rate pretty useless until I used the satellite map. Much easier and now I'll use it occasionally. However, I still will only use it in a pinch as my Oregon ( or most handhelds ) is much better for bigger caching days.

I noticed that those who have said that they use it exclusively have a low number of finds ( almost all under 100 finds, a lot under 30 ). How many caches are you folks finding in a day using the iPhone-only method?

Also, how many iPhone-only cachers have used handheld-GPSrs and what models have you used?

Edited by nicolo

I use it alone sometimes, I find the compass pretty worthless. However the satelite map is awesome, you can pinpoint the cache with nearby landmarks.

I found the pointer and update/refresh rate pretty useless until I used the satellite map. Much easier and now I'll use it occasionally. However, I still will only use it in a pinch as my Oregon ( or most handhelds ) is much better for bigger caching days.

I noticed that those who have said that they use it exclusively have a low number of finds ( almost all under 100 finds, a lot under 30 ). How many caches are you folks finding in a day using the iPhone-only method?

Also, how many iPhone-only cachers have used handheld-GPSrs and what models have you used?

I use my iphone almost exclusively now. In the past I've used a yellow etrex, and a palm treo with a bluetooth gps (sirf III chipset). I think the iphone's accuracy is as good as the sirf III I used with the treo, and much better than the standard etrex yellow. I think the current downfalls of using the iphone as a standalone gps is the fault of the software available, although I dont if thats caused by the limits imposed on developers by apple. I used geoniche on my palm and the software is far superior to any of the caching apps available, and that is on a platform with half the power of the iphone.

I use the Geocaching app for the iPhone and absolutely love it. Of course there are a couple little issues with the app I'd love to see addressed, and I'm sure given time they will be.

I used to use it in conjunction with my Garmin Colorado 400t, but don't even bother bringing that along anymore. I don't want to turn this into a Colorado bash, so I'll just say that 4 out of 5 times (on average), I get more accurate readings from my phone than the GPS. It's to the point where the GPS just sits on a shelf like an incredibly expensive paperweight.

I use the iPhone app in conjunction with the Google Maps app and have had really good results. I'm very pleased. Sometimes, I find that in bad reception areas, the addition of seeing a satellite photo of the area will allow me to compensate for the bad reception and I can find a cache that would have taken a significant amount of time otherwise.

I use the iPhone app in conjunction with the Google Maps app and have had really good results. I'm very pleased. Sometimes, I find that in bad reception areas, the addition of seeing a satellite photo of the area will allow me to compensate for the bad reception and I can find a cache that would have taken a significant amount of time otherwise.

Thats exactly how I do it. A lot of people want to bash the compass. You have to figure that the iPhone has no compass. What you are seeing is base soley on your heading. If you stop or switch directions it flips out. I have found Google Maps to be extremely accurate and having satelitte images in the palm of your hand is priceless.

I used to use a GPS in the early days of Geocaching and then got distracted and stopped. I recently started up again because of the Iphone and the geocaching app. And yes I have less than 100 finds but it's not because of the capabilities of the Iphone more a result of having a rich full life. lol okay that was a cheap shot! But really I'm not trying to get high numbers. I like geocaching because it gets me out into beautiful places and great experiences. I really don't want to get more than three caches in any one day that I decide to geocache. That just seems like too much work. To me it's not a competition. But on the other hand people that really get fanactically into any hobby always seem to buy the biggest and best of the equipment and do it as much as possible. And that's fine but please don't try to convince the rest of us that we need a $600 tool to find a 50 cent trinket. The Iphone is a great tool in this hobby and the satelite maps are terrific.

By the way I recently got a Garmin 60cx with the surf III chip set for Xmas and so far I'm disappointed. Both devices get you close and then it's up to you to use that main tool: your brain to make the find. So considering the current economy, I shouldn't have got the Garmin, I really didn't need it.

We use only the iPhone, and love it! I mean the app from Groundspeak isn't perfect yet....but has been performing well for us.

We love the way you can see the Google maps, log history, search for caches near your location...all from the palm of your hand. I can't imagine doing it any other way now. :)

I'm a newbie to geocaching and just got an iPhone G3. Where do I start? What app should I get? I have MacGPS Pro for my laptop and a bunch of good topo maps. Now I'm trying to get the iPhone setup for geocaching and need some direction. -THANKS!

We love the way you can see the Google maps, log history, search for caches near your location...all from the palm of your hand. I can't imagine doing it any other way now. :)

I'm a newbie to geocaching and just got an iPhone G3. Where do I start? What app should I get? I have MacGPS Pro for my laptop and a bunch of good topo maps. Now I'm trying to get the iPhone setup for geocaching and need some direction. -THANKS!

We love the way you can see the Google maps, log history, search for caches near your location...all from the palm of your hand. I can't imagine doing it any other way now. :angry:

I like the "Geopher" app for on the go caching where Im in a new location and just want to grab a quick cache thats close. The "igeocacher" app is much more like a standard handheld gps where you can download a gpx file to the phone and have all the cache info available even when there is no cell coverage.

Some people prefer the "Geocaching" app over the Geopher that I mentioned, and each has its pros and cons, overall I find the Geopher more to my liking, plus it just got changed to opensource code so I expect you'll see some pretty big developments in the future.

I just recently got the Iphone and got in to Geocaching about the same time, I have never used a true GPSr but with the Iphone i dont have to pre plan my trip, if I have some free time I hit a button and it shows me what is around, the Ariel photo map is a huge plus, almost cheating sometimes.

Over all I am very happy with the GC.com application and I am sure it will get better with time.

As far as getting over 100 or a 1000 finds, that is not really my goal, I am using this a way of seeing some nice spots and getting some exercise.

OK. I have used my iphone in conjunction with my Colorado for about a month now. I don't cache a whole lot (mainly because there is not a great density of caches in my area), but my iphone has behaved pretty much the same with every hide I have found with it.

The main thing I have noticed as far as performance:

After calibrating the compass on my Colorado, it is MUCH more accurate than the iphone. The iphone has never gotten me closer than 50 ft., while the Colorado has me right on top of the cache every time. If I was only using the iphone, I would probably have still found everything, but it would have been a bit more challenging and possibly frustrating.

Like I've said before, it is definately possible to use the iphone effectively for caching by itself. But, personally, I will always have a dedicated GPS with me as well.

OK. I have used my iphone in conjunction with my Colorado for about a month now. I don't cache a whole lot (mainly because there is not a great density of caches in my area), but my iphone has behaved pretty much the same with every hide I have found with it.

After calibrating the compass on my Colorado, it is MUCH more accurate than the iphone. The iphone has never gotten me closer than 50 ft., while the Colorado has me right on top of the cache every time. If I was only using the iphone, I would probably have still found everything, but it would have been a bit more challenging and possibly frustrating.

Like I've said before, it is definately possible to use the iphone effectively for caching by itself. But, personally, I will always have a dedicated GPS with me as well.

Crazy, Mine has gotten me right at the cache plenty of times, I just learned not to watch the arrow on the compass and just go the distance it says is closer and it gets me there, but have been times the cache is 20 feet away from where its putting me.

I also use the Iphone for description and hints if i forget while out caching with my Garmin Vista HCx.I wish you could download caches via usb from iphone to GPS-- that would be great.We also use laptop when we are out of town for finding caches on the go.Just become premium member 10 mins. ago so can't wait to use those features

I use the iPhone 3G with google maps, Geocacher App, SeekCache App, but I use my 60CSx to get close when in the woods, else if I am in a parking lot, the google maps work well.

My iPhone is 1 mile off lots of times, so I just use SeekCache App, then the list of caches in the Safari browser, and log that way out at the caches, using my 60CSx to zero in.

I can't trust the accuracy of my iPhone since it is all over the place.

I would like to see an ability to open a browser within the Geocaching App, to log that way, but that might need a special formatted page within the Geocaching.com site.

I have found 234 cachwes with my CO 400t. recently needed a new phone. Of course the I-phone seemed to pop up and into my eager hands. I went for one cache with I-phone only, well started off that way. Still went to the CO. Calibrate the compass, and felt like it could weather the terrain, and elements much better than my precious new I-phone.

The Iphone works great for additional, clerical tasks, and I love having sat pics at hand to assist in cache location. But just can not get used to using it for a solo GPS'r, love the way it can locate the nearest cache, and additional Info.

I have the lastest version but it's still not the perfect to paperless caching. Don't get me wrong it's perfect if u live are in an area were u have good service and your iPhone must have a clear view of the sky. For example we were geocaching in a small public park that had a little tree cover my iPhone was saying 80ft away when I was staying right beside it my etrex h was saying I was 3ft away. I will it's a good tool for quick lunch time caches but for caches in rural area or if you have look at anything offline that is were igeocacher comes in. I will say this I only need my iphone and etrex to go caching now no need for the palm with cachemate

-Richie

I have the lastest version but it's still not the perfect to paperless caching. Don't get me wrong it's perfect if u live are in an area were u have good service and your iPhone must have a clear view of the sky. For example we were geocaching in a small public park that had a little tree cover my iPhone was saying 80ft away when I was staying right beside it my etrex h was saying I was 3ft away. I will it's a good tool for quick lunch time caches but for caches in rural area or if you have look at anything offline that is were igeocacher comes in. I will say this I only need my iphone and etrex to go caching now no need for the palm with cachemate

-Richie

Ok, I bought it, but I feel a little underwhelmed, what does it do for me? It allows me to access the same data I can get from the website?

-Richie

I'd agree with everything you said here. I still keep an old SporTrak Map with me to get more reliable positioning. But the iPhone is great for getting the cache info, hints, and now logging field notes. Only wish the field notes would go directly to the cache's web page, but I guess it helps that you can edit them before posting publicly. Or is that because I'm not a premium member (yet) on the web site?

I use the map more than navigation (compass) in the Geocaching app - especially the Satellite view. I've done caches with just that. Not sure I like the new compass yet. Didn't work for me at all last night with clear skies and no cover.

Tried just using my iPhone yesterday. I found when side-by side with my sporttrack, the iPhone distance calculation was much closer to the cache. However the compass and speed were much less accurate than the sporttrak.

My conclusion is if you can get at least close to it, and dont mind doing the drunken bee dance for a while, the iphone seems to work rather well. Mind you - I was in an semi-urban area with good cell coverage and some tree cover.

I love the new field notes thing.

I've had the iPhone 3G for a while now and had no idea it had GPS. this phone just keeps amazing me with what it can do.

Now today was my first day geocaching, and being a gaget freak wanted to get into it so I could get a new toy. But until I had had chance to research handheld GPS's I decided to use the poorman's GPS of the iPhone. But from what you guys have said it seems to be some top kit and I would agree. It worked ok for me for two tree covered finds, but would agree the compass it not good. I was locating by trying to match my position co-ord's to the cach co-ord's.

Using the sattilite maps had not occurred to me but it does seem to take the point out of it to me. All this paperless caching seems ok, but isnt the skill and fun in this meant to be getting the right co-ord's, logging it in GPS handheld then using it to direct you. I suppose it does depend on how seriously you want to take it. If you are going to look at Google maps why not just use a map?

For now I will carry on enjoying geocaching with my iPhone but do hope to get a Garmin to make it a bit more challenging. But no dought the iPhone will still be in my pocket.

As for accuracy, the way that I understand it is that no receiver is 100% accurate because GPS is a primarlily a missile guidence system. And it is deliberatly inaccurate so that only the US Military(I think) have 100% accuracy. So if you are a military person you can guide your missile to the right building, but if you are a US military person you can guide your missile in to the right window in that building too.

I have been using my iPhone to cache for the past week. I am new to this game and have really enjoyed it! If I didn't have the phone I probably would have never gotten into this. It can get a little frustrating looking at the compass and walking 50' circle and it never changes. I wish they could always make the top of the phone the lead direction. I feel that it needs to log you moving a while before it tells you your bearing. I have logged 9 caches so far and am totally hooked now. I'm going to borrow one of my boss's handheld GPS jobbers so I can see just how accurate this thing really is.

All in all I'm also blown away by all the capabilities of this phone. This is probably my 2nd favorite app, only comming 2nd to Shazam. Nothing beats hearing a song and you just have to know who it is. Touch the screen - it listen's and then tells you - Simply amazing!

-Richie

Richie...

Can you explain what you mean "perfect to paperless caching?" If the app will allow you to access caches and then log them. I'm not sure what else you are looking for when you say paperless.

From the limited exposure I have with the iPhone and using several GPSrs is using the iPhone with any tree cover or other obstruction. The chipset in both my Garmins put it to shame.

One thing we found is the battery life of the iPhone while Geocaching is really bad! If we have more than 1-3 close ones in one location, we have to go back to the car to recharge and if you don't have a car charger, you're basically screwed.

Also, the compass doesn't update very often if you are under any cover, so get used to wandering around a lot.

We pretty much use the iPhone exclusively, but have found that the accuracy is hit or miss: it's either dead on or way, way off. And winter caching you have to be dadgum close unless you are following someone elses' footy prints :lol: