Gps 60 received for Christmas

McFlyer

Hi All, I got a Garmin GPS60 for Christmas. I was thinking about exchanging it for an ETrex Venture. If you could post your opinions on this I would appreciate it. This will be used soley for Geocaching. I know you can download directly from the geocaching.com to the venture,not sure if you can to the gps60. Thanks for your input.

Hi All, I got a Garmin GPS60 for Christmas. I was thinking about exchanging it for an ETrex Venture. If you could post your opinions on this I would appreciate it. This will be used soley for Geocaching. I know you can download directly from the geocaching.com to the venture,not sure if you can to the gps60. Thanks for your input.

You mean a plain old yellow GPS60, the base model? They still even make them? Yes, you can definitely download to it. It works just as well as anything in the "60 series" as far as reception, and basic features. It has no mapping, of course. Not entirely true, there is actually a "dot" on a map grid for every city. Just no roads or anything. :blink:

You mean a plain old yellow GPS60, the base model? They still even make them? Yes, you can definitely download to it. It works just as well as anything in the "60 series" as far as reception, and basic features. It has no mapping, of course. Not entirely true, there is actually a "dot" on a map grid for every city. Just no roads or anything. :blink:

The 60 was never yellow (you're confusing it with base model eTrex), and yes, they still make them.

Price-wise, the logical swap would be with a eTrex Legend HCx. It has the same MSRP as the plain 60, with a lot more features, and a better receiver.

The 60 was never yellow (you're confusing it with base model eTrex), and yes, they still make them.

Price-wise, the logical swap would be with a eTrex Legend HCx. It has the same MSRP as the plain 60, with a lot more features, and a better receiver.

Looks rather yellow to me.

gps60.jpg

Thanks, now I don't have to upload a picture of mine. It doesn't look that nice anymore anyways. :blink:

I also got a garmin 60, but the 60csx, and cannot figure out if you can go paperless with it. My new goal is paperless as my Magellan Crossover works well for navigaitng to caches. The ream of paper I have to carry and fumble around with as I sign the log, etc. is getting old though.

Does the garmin 60csx download any written information from geocaching.com to allow me to do paperless caching???

If you mean the Venture HC do it. The Venture HC is a far better unit than the GPS 60.

If you mean the old black and white Venture, then your GPS 60 is a bit better than the Venture, so stay with it

The 60 has a better aerial than the Etrax series. Its swings and round abouts if you want topo though the venture better but if your never gonna use topo maps like myself then stick with the g60. Ive gt the g60 and I'am very happy with it. Unless you can return it for a full refund ave a play with it first see how you find it.

Edited by makysteve

If you mean the Venture HC do it. The Venture HC is a far better unit than the GPS 60.

If you mean the old black and white Venture, then your GPS 60 is a bit better than the Venture, so stay with it

Go with what Snat says, you can trust him :D Are you saying you could return (exchange) this thing un-opened?

I have one of these in the cupboard. Got it initially as it was cheap when I just started Geocaching. I soon upgraded to a 60csx.

Basic 60 is an ok unit. Reception isnt wonderful and it cant take any maps. They were my issues with it. Other than that its a good intro unit, just dont try to use it under too many trees and be prepared to lust after a better unit fairly soon!

The venture HC is $138 at amazon right now.... :laughing:

Edited by kungfufugirl
You mean a plain old yellow GPS60, the base model?

Looks rather yellow to me.

gps60.jpg

But isn't that actually a GPS60i and not a "plain" 60?

Edited by Prime Suspect