Email Notifications

MaxB on the River

I think it's a bigger problem:

My last eMail came 19:34 (CET +1). At 0:03 tonight came a PQ - but no more logs from caches, TBs or something.. 16h without emails... I think there are 100-150 emails missing. Will we retrieve all of them later?

at 22:37 I wrote a geocaching.com email - the copy has been received

I haven't changed anything. Spam Assassin is not the reason. Other users have the same problem - they're using different domain provider

Summary: a PQ email and a copy of 1:1-email were received, no more emails for logs or notifications

in the last weeks I had also the feeling, that there were emails missing. but since yesterday - all emails are missing. my PQs worked all the time - it was only game of chance, what time they will be delivered

(i wrote thius post 11:37 (CET +1 and edited it later, because 2 threads are opened with similar problems)

Edited by widdi

It's nice to be notified when someone logs your cache, but the e-mail copy is really just a "courtesy" and it shouldn't matter if it has to wait a while. If you held an event and 70 people attended, it's a fair bet that many of them will have logged it by now, and you can read those logs on the site - including the smileys the way they intended, and not as some random stuff in brackets. <_<

I'd be quite happy for a permanent breakdown of "trackable discovered" logs going out by mail. One of my coins had the misfortune to do the rounds at a Mega event and I got about 100 generic "Saw this item" logs.

I noticed the same problem as of yesterday- I got only one of the 3 or 4 emails I usually get for each new cache publication of my own caches. No insta-notify. I checked with three friends and many hours later none of them had been notified about them either. One went out and found the caches, since they now knew there were new ones and they could locate them on the site. They logged those finds yesterday and I've gotten no emails of the logs. I emailed gc.com this am and got a reply that basically seemed to imply that the problem was on my end, maybe my spam filter, suggesting that people who use gmail don't have these problems, despite the fact that I'd told them about my friends not getting the notifies. And I didn't tell them this at the time, since I didn't know what reply I'd get from them, but one of those friends uses gmail! they did refer me to the forums, saying:

"You might also want to consider posting your issue to our Web Site forum. Often times, issues like yours can be widespread so there may be others experiencing similar issues as you. Here is a direct link http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=8 ."

Well that led me to this thread, and duh.... it only confirms for me that the problem is indeed, NOT mine, but must be a geocaching.com issue!! Very frustrating!

It's nice to be notified when someone logs your cache, but the e-mail copy is really just a "courtesy" and it shouldn't matter if it has to wait a while. If you held an event and 70 people attended, it's a fair bet that many of them will have logged it by now, and you can read those logs on the site - including the smileys the way they intended, and not as some random stuff in brackets. :)

I'd be quite happy for a permanent breakdown of "trackable discovered" logs going out by mail. One of my coins had the misfortune to do the rounds at a Mega event and I got about 100 generic "Saw this item" logs.

Set up an email filter and send them right to the trash can.

There is a more serious problem that came about with this.

If you happened to be watching a new cache for which the notification email had yet to be sent, you just got a copy of the reviewers notes mailed out. For the one cache in question I noticed, this meant you got the final co-ords for a difficult puzzle :)

This should be fixed, reviewer's notes should never be mailed to the watchlist in my opinion.

If you happened to be watching a new cache for which the notification email had yet to be sent, you just got a copy of the reviewers notes mailed out. For the one cache in question I noticed, this meant you got the final co-ords for a difficult puzzle :)

This should be fixed, reviewer's notes should never be mailed to the watchlist in my opinion.

I agree. A new mystery in my area is ruined because of this bug. Five people had a watch on it. Now they have the coordinates without having solved the puzzle.

There is no need for reviewer notes to go out to people on a watch list.

It does demonstrate that the original problem was with Groundspeak's software as opposed to an email bottleneck somewhere.

I agree. A new mystery in my area is ruined because of this bug. Five people had a watch on it. Now they have the coordinates without having solved the puzzle.

There is no need for reviewer notes to go out to people on a watch list.

It does demonstrate that the original problem was with Groundspeak's software as opposed to an email bottleneck somewhere.

Not really. The email would have only gone to the cache owner if the email system was not stuck. Reviewer notes at publication go out immediately before publication and since no one would have the chance to place a watch or bookmark it, normally this wouldn't be a problem. What can happen though is that the Reviewer notes are also stuck in the email jam.

:) CD

I got a reviewer note with the Final Coords for a new puzzle in my area. I put the watch on the cache last night. Notifications didn't come out until today.

A friend also got it but we agreed we would not use that to go for FTF. That and it is too dadgum cold outside.

I got a reviewer note with the Final Coords for a new puzzle in my area. I put the watch on the cache last night. Notifications didn't come out until today.

A friend also got it but we agreed we would not use that to go for FTF. That and it is too dadgum cold outside.

And just how did you know to put it on your watch list pre-publish? with what gc code?

I had the same problem with my newly published mysterycache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...08-3be783bacbd0

People on the watchlist got the final coordinates to the cache. I think I solved it fast by making a rule for the finders to have to email me the answer (it's not just a coordinate) and a picture of what they would find at those coordinates. I'm just glad I did my mystery the way it is now, if I had made it like I originally had planned it would have been more difficult to know if they had solved it correct or not. :)

And just how did you know to put it on your watch list pre-publish? with what gc code?

The cache was publshed yesterday afternoon. I saw it last night. Put a watch on it. At around 130 this afternoon, gc.com fixed their problem and pumped out notifications. Among them was the reviewer's note with the final coordinates.

The cache was publshed yesterday afternoon. I saw it last night. Put a watch on it. At around 130 this afternoon, gc.com fixed their problem and pumped out notifications. Among them was the reviewer's note with the final coordinates.

Dang, thats an interesting way to exploit a loophole. I'm doubt anybody had that intention, but the end result was interesting. Timing is everything.