Delorme PN-40

jbmanno

My new PN-40 came in last Saturday (two days earlier than it was supposed to...GO UPS!!) and I spent two hours Saturday night, three hours Sunday Morning trying to load maps, geocaches, etc. ;) After spending another two hours on it on Monday, it all started coming together. I was able to finally make a pocket quarry and use GSAK to load 537 geocaches into the unit, I was able to load Satellite Images, make some routes, etc. The only thing I can say now is WOW!!!!

One issue I am having is that some of the contour lines are "doubled" in some of the areas...I am assuming this has something to do with the overlay of the different maps ? ? ?

Edited by jbmanno

Ok, so my new PN-40 came in last Saturday (two days earlier than it was supposed to...GO UPS!!) and I spent two hours Saturday night, three hours Sunday Morning trying to load maps, geocaches, etc. ;) After spending another two hours on it on Monday, it all started coming together. I was able to finally make a pocket quarry and use GSAK to load 537 geocaches into the unit, I was able to load Satellite Images, make some routes, etc. The only thing I can say now is WOW!!!!

One issue I am having is that some of the contour lines are "doubled" in some of the areas...I am assuming this has something to do with the overlay of the different maps ? ? ?

Is it just one topo map, or is it (as you said 'maps'?). That is a distinct possibility that it is the 'overlay'. But these 'double' countor lines - are they broken, or are the contour lines truly doubled at certain elevations or all elevations at a given location? Any chance you can post a photo of these double lines?? I'm thinking the maps are typically straight at the edges (as are many other electronic maps) and that would be reflected in what you see.

I'm very jealous, by the way!!!!!!

Grigorii Rasputin

http://grigoriirasputin.wordpress.com

Edited by Grigorii Rasputin

I suggest that you join this forum:

http://forums.delorme.com/index.php

Then post your issue here:

http://forums.delorme.com/viewforum.php?f=131

I expect that you will receive timely and expert assistance.

Also, what type of map or image are you showing: Sat10, CDOQQ, etc.?

Do you know how to capture that with a "screenshot"?

Do you have "Show Hybrid Map" ON or OFF?

My new PN-40 came in last Saturday I was able to finally make a pocket quarry and use GSAK to load 537 geocaches into the unit, I was able to load Satellite Images, make some routes, etc. The only thing I can say now is WOW!!!!

Mine just arrived last night. Might you be able to tell me how you were able to load your pocket queries using GSAK? Before I ordered I was told by the DeLorme pre-sales person that GSAK wouldn't work on the PN-40. I have been trying to save individual caches as .loc files but since I use GSAK for another GPS it is the default. When I save a cache it goes into a GSAK folder and Topo USA doesn't recognize the file. I would really enjoy being able to use the functionality of GSAK.

Thanks for any help

My new PN-40 came in last Saturday I was able to finally make a pocket quarry and use GSAK to load 537 geocaches into the unit, I was able to load Satellite Images, make some routes, etc. The only thing I can say now is WOW!!!!

Mine just arrived last night. Might you be able to tell me how you were able to load your pocket queries using GSAK? Before I ordered I was told by the DeLorme pre-sales person that GSAK wouldn't work on the PN-40. I have been trying to save individual caches as .loc files but since I use GSAK for another GPS it is the default. When I save a cache it goes into a GSAK folder and Topo USA doesn't recognize the file. I would really enjoy being able to use the functionality of GSAK.

Thanks for any help

If you export the caches you want from GSAK as a gpx or loc file, you can import them into Topo7. To import a file into T7, go to the Draw tab and click on files. Then click on Import (over towards the right side) and bring your file in.

If you click the More button after the import, you can see the contents of the Waypoint draw layer.

If you export the caches you want from GSAK as a gpx or loc file, you can import them into Topo7. To import a file into T7, go to the Draw tab and click on files. Then click on Import (over towards the right side) and bring your file in.

If you click the More button after the import, you can see the contents of the Waypoint draw layer.

.. with a little spinning from this macro to get the "name" field right, if you so desire.

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry44610

Before I ordered I was told by the DeLorme pre-sales person that GSAK wouldn't work on the PN-40. I have been trying to save individual caches as .loc files but since I use GSAK for another GPS it is the default. When I save a cache it goes into a GSAK folder and Topo USA doesn't recognize the file. I would really enjoy being able to use the functionality of GSAK.

Thanks for any help

When you were told that GSAK does not work with the PN-40, what they are telling you is that you can not directly send waypoints from GSAK to your 40. Max has great post there.

When you were told that GSAK does not work with the PN-40, what they are telling you is that you can not directly send waypoints from GSAK to your 40. Max has great post there.
I'm going to start actively working on writing the gpsbabel <-> PN-## interface code. Once that's done, GSAK will be able to talk directly to the PN-40. :D I figure if I keep posting that I'm going to start doing this, it will be more incentive for me to do so. :D

--Marky

I'm going to start actively working on writing the gpsbabel <-> PN-## interface code. Once that's done, GSAK will be able to talk directly to the PN-40. :D I figure if I keep posting that I'm going to start doing this, it will be more incentive for me to do so. :D

--Marky

Cool. See you on the other side!

I'm going to start actively working on writing the gpsbabel <-> PN-## interface code. Once that's done, GSAK will be able to talk directly to the PN-40. :D I figure if I keep posting that I'm going to start doing this, it will be more incentive for me to do so. :rolleyes:

That's up there on the awesome scale. Although it's kind of speculative to know just what the Delorme API will or won't allow, is it worth your while *if* the API allows a seamless port for GSAK to the PN's? At the least I suppose you'd be allowing PN data to go the other direction into the GPSBabel conversation.

Thanks for the pointer. Why couldn't I think of that myself? :rolleyes:

I'm going to start actively working on writing the gpsbabel <-> PN-## interface code. Once that's done, GSAK will be able to talk directly to the PN-40. :D I figure if I keep posting that I'm going to start doing this, it will be more incentive for me to do so. :rolleyes:

That's up there on the awesome scale. Although it's kind of speculative to know just what the Delorme API will or won't allow, is it worth your while *if* the API allows a seamless port for GSAK to the PN's? At the least I suppose you'd be allowing PN data to go the other direction into the GPSBabel conversation.

My plan is a two-way conversation. Waypoints/Tracks/Routes in, Waypoints/Tracks/Routes out. I'll probably need an additional mode for Geocaches in, Geocaches out, since it looks like those are going to be handled separately in the near future. If all goes well, it may be my Christmas present to all the PN-## owners. :D

Edit to add: Clyde will have to add the specific export menu option (and export dialog) to GSAK once I get my code into gpsbabel, but we'll be able to use GSAK's custom gpsbabel export route until then once the code is in there.

--Marky

Edited by Marky

My plan is a two-way conversation. Waypoints/Tracks/Routes in, Waypoints/Tracks/Routes out. I'll probably need an additional mode for Geocaches in, Geocaches out, since it looks like those are going to be handled separately in the near future. If all goes well, it may be my Christmas present to all the PN-## owners. :rolleyes:

--Marky

Very cool. A Christmas present to go with my Christmas present.

Thanks for any help

You are using Pocket Queries so you are already receiving a zipped GPX file from GC.com. Just unzip this file and then do the import to TOPO7 as described. No reason for GSAK unless you are manipulating caches in GSAK. If that is the case then export from GSAK as a GPX file and import to TOPO7 also. Stay away from .loc files as they have very limited cache info.

Edited by KJcachers

My plan is a two-way conversation. Waypoints/Tracks/Routes in, Waypoints/Tracks/Routes out. I'll probably need an additional mode for Geocaches in, Geocaches out, since it looks like those are going to be handled separately in the near future. If all goes well, it may be my Christmas present to all the PN-## owners. :D

Edit to add: Clyde will have to add the specific export menu option (and export dialog) to GSAK once I get my code into gpsbabel, but we'll be able to use GSAK's custom gpsbabel export route until then once the code is in there.

--Marky

You get that complete and I will have a new reason to upgrade my GSAK. :D

You are using Pocket Queries so you are already receiving a zipped GPX file from GC.com. Just unzip this file and then do the import to TOPO7 as described. No reason for GSAK unless you are manipulating caches in GSAK. If that is the case then export from GSAK as a GPX file and import to TOPO7 also. Stay away from .loc files as they have very limited cache info.

When trying to unzip the file GSAK would launch and then I was in a deadend. I think I'm getting somewhere by launching EasyGPS and unzipping that way. Thanks for the input. I really want to be able to use the full functionality of the PN-40 before too long.

When trying to unzip the file GSAK would launch and then I was in a deadend. I think I'm getting somewhere by launching EasyGPS and unzipping that way. Thanks for the input. I really want to be able to use the full functionality of the PN-40 before too long.

If you RIGHT click on the zip file you should be able to click on "extract all" to do a direct extraction to a specific folder. Don't left click or open the file...that will start GSAK.

Edited by KJcachers

Still figuring out the forum etiquette and how to follow up on the correct post.

I am looking for additional "how to information" to follow up on this post:

I was e-mailed two (2); I will call them "files" but I don't know if that's the correct term, as a result of a pocket query I executed.

They are as follows:

2541872 - this "file" has 50 geocaches. That is how many I asked for in a given area.

2541872 - wpts - this file has the number "7" next to in in TP7.

I imported both into TP7. Now I want to download them into the PN-40.

Even though these two files are related to the same geocache request, there does not appear to be any way to send them both simultaneously to the PN-40. If I send them separately, will the PN-40 automatically integrate the information from both files?

Thanks.

kayakingnavajo

2541872 is the actual cache waypoints

2541872-wpts is any additional waypoints that have been added to the cache information. Usually things like parking lots, landmarks, etc.

You should be able to load both into the PN-40 simultaneously, but the first file is the one you're primarily interested in.

If you select "Waypoints" in the left pane of the Exchange window, then when you hit the exchange button all of your waypoint layers should load to the PN-40. I routinely send both of those gpx files and a small set of "permanent" waypoints in one swell foop.