Rant - Weather and Waterproofs

So the BBC weatherman said it would be dry. Cloudy, and a bit blustery, but dry nonetheless. And like a fool, I believed him. I heard a story a month or two back that the BBC or the Met Office or someone like that had a fantastic new system so they could now give more accurate forecasts up to 3 days ahead! 3 days? Try getting 12 hours ahead right first, worry about 3 days some other time. Rain, rain, and just for good measure, a bit more rain.

Luckily for me, I thought, I had my waterproofs with me anyway. However my "waterproof" trousers turned out to be as waterproof as a sheet of A4 paper. Every so often you are supposed to treat them with some fancy washing stuff and so on, but my beloved doesn't wash them that often. Now don't call me sexist and say "Do it yourself then", ever since the infamous (in our house anyway) "Red Underpants" debacle of 1997 :laughing: , she won't let me anywhere near the machine, so I have to rely on her. However, they were treated just a short while ago, and were sprayed with that waterproofing stuff (that smells absolutely rank, and if you breath in the fumes it strips the lining off your lungs),whilst on the washing line, again, this wasn't done by me, she won't let me near the washing line following the infamous "You put how many things on the line? No wonder it snapped" incident of 2002. But I'm sure a good job was done, and I value my life far too much to suggest that perhaps a better job could have been done, so lets not go there.

At least my feet were dry. I recently spent £20 on a pair of sooperdooper socks that are guaranteed waterproof, and they worked a treat. Shame about the rest of me. That feeling when you bend over and your soaking and cold boxers touch part of your anatomy that hadn't previously felt wet or cold isn't particularly pleasant. :rolleyes:

Still. I walked nearly 9 miles, got 3 great caches, and loved every minute of it. Just to think, I could have been sat behind my desk at work, warm and dry but in work. Instead I was having a whale of a time. ;)

I'm back out on Wednesday, up some big mountains. Apparently, it's going to be a nice day. ;)

:):) excellent post!

To wander ever so slighty OT (many apologies, please don't close my GC.com account or anything :rolleyes: ) any recommendations for what to use to re-waterproof a jacket? Its a Vango protex (similar to Goretex) and I was hoping for a couple of recommendations.

To stay more on topic, we were forecasting atrocious weather for saturday, when we were off to do some of the chiltern 100. Off we went, kitted up with waterproofs and so on, and not a drop descended! Obviously not quite so annoying, but it did mean we had needlessly carried our waterproofs around all day! To be fair, even if they had said it wasn't going to rain, we'd probably still carried them!

Still, if we wanted predictable weather, we'd move to Utah! :rolleyes:

To wander ever so slighty OT (many apologies, please don't close my GC.com account or anything :) ) any recommendations for what to use to re-waterproof a jacket? Its a Vango protex (similar to Goretex) and I was hoping for a couple of recommendations.

Grangers or Nikwax products are available from outdoor stores, usually you'll need to buy 2 products, one to clean the garment without stripping the DWR (durable water repellant coating, normal washing powders will strip this) and one to re-proof the garments.

If they are just waterproof shell type garments you can use a "wash in" type re-proofer, if they have lining or insulation in them (like ski jackets) then a spray on re-proofer can be used so you don't waterproof the lining and insulation.

Lancashire Sports Repairs offer a re-proofing service, I haven't had them re-proof clothing myself but can recommend their repairs to outdoor gear.

Does anyone have any recomendations of good waterproof clothing suitable for hiking/caching? Specifically something that keeps you dry without making you sweat like a pregnant nun.

Cheers,

Jon.

I use a Berghaus ventile jacket that uses 'Gortex' . Whilst it has remained waterproof and in a whole different league in the sweating department to cheaper polyurethane products you will still get sweaty wearing it if you're reasonably active, like hiking uphill. I bought a zipped in fleece liner for it and tend to use just that, putting the jacket on only if it becomes really necessary. It's light, folds up into a small packages and has served me well. Not exactly cheap, though and I wouldn't wear it while forcing my way through a spiky hedge :)

Jon, anything with fabrics by Gore-tex or E-vent will be waterproof and breathable (meaning your sweat can escape from the garment). Gore-tex XCR or paclite and E-vent fabrics will be more breathable than the original gore-tex but will be more expensive. Many outdoor clothing manufacturers have their own breathable fabric names as well, a good outdoor store will be able to talk you through the options.

If you're planning on rummaging through bushes etc and your clothing will take alot of abuse then it may be worth avoiding the really lightweight stuff, nothing is indestructible but things made of the really lightweight stuff are more susceptible to thorn/rock/barbed wire damage.

If you don't want to boil in the bag then make sure you wear breathable garments underneath too, the biggest mistake is to wear cotton or denim, as plant based materials absorb and retain moisture, and won't allow your sweat to pass through and escape your clothing layers.

Enjoyed the OP - I was never encouraged to put anything in the washing machine by my Mum when I was younger and this carries over to today. At least that's my excuse.

I can recommend Paramo waterproofs. They use a slightly different system to 'membrane' type material like Gortex. Supposed to be better if you read their website! :) My jacket's been very good and they are supposed to be easy to reproof.

The BBC 5 day forecast for Kendal (well anywhere) is just a joke beyond tomorrow. Whatever they say for day 5, you can be pretty certain it won't be that by the time you get there and that big yellow sun will have become a dark rain cloud!

I use Mountain Weather Info quite a lot, especially if going out for a while or up a hill. Usually pretty accurate.

I've dithered over gaiters and decided not to bother.... I did an 8 mile walk last weekend over quite tough terrain in wellies and thoroughly enjoyed it.... splashing through everything in my path while the walking boot brigade hopped around the drier edges and still got their boots filthy - and I just waded through a deep puddle at the end to clean my wellies. Expected pain, blisters even - but had no trouble at all.

Does anyone else walk in wellies?

I've dithered over gaiters and decided not to bother.... I did an 8 mile walk last weekend over quite tough terrain in wellies and thoroughly enjoyed it.... splashing through everything in my path while the walking boot brigade hopped around the drier edges and still got their boots filthy - and I just waded through a deep puddle at the end to clean my wellies. Expected pain, blisters even - but had no trouble at all.

Does anyone else walk in wellies?

I wear wellies quite often but do prefer my boots and gaiters.

My wife prefers her wellies and will happily walk all day in them. She normally wears two pairs of socks and has never had a blister.

She does enjoy the "walking through puddles" bit, I'm sure she wasn't allowed to do it as a child and is making up for it now. :unsure:

Wearing wellies is an interesting idea. I'm fed up paying out every couple of years for walking boots that claim to be waterproof but which result in my getting wet feet after a walk through long grass. Wellies are much cheaper and are undoubtedly waterproof. Might give them a try :P.

are you sure you're not buying trainers Alan?! :D I've had my pair of Zamberlans for 14 years, and still going strong after a dose of dubbin!

I've had a pair of Karrimor e-Vent fabric boots for about a year, which are also good - I'll let you know in a couple of years time how they last! :unsure:

Wearing wellies is an interesting idea. I'm fed up paying out every couple of years for walking boots that claim to be waterproof but which result in my getting wet feet after a walk through long grass. Wellies are much cheaper and are undoubtedly waterproof. Might give them a try :unsure: .

I get a bit fed up with that, too. It seems that the natural action of walking creates a 'crease' in the top of the boot, between the toes and the bottom of the lace holes. It somehow acts as a pump when you're walking through wet grass and forces water inside. I've found the only way to overcome that is to wear a pair of Gortex boot liners over my socks if I'm expecting to be walking through wet grass.

Loved your story :unsure:

I went to get a replacement for my old Brashers just over 12 monts ago, after sevenish years of service, and thought the new ones seemed different. Following some enquiries it seems that they used to be made by Clarks in Europe but are now made in China.

I ended up getting a pair of Mendl mid range leather boots and they seem fine so far, I just keep them clean(ish) and use a waterbased wax fairly regularly rather than dubbin. My only (slight) gripe with the Mendls’ is that they are a bit heavy, that’s more than balanced out by them being supremely comfortable and they also support well. One other thing, the toungue is connected at both sides pretty much all the way up the boot so water will get in over the top rather than by the toungue.

I’ve some old cheap gaiters that are just about worn out. I had a look at replacing them recently and was amazed how expensive they are now, so it looks like the old ones will have to do for a bit longer.....

H

Edited by L8HNB

I have a pair of Meindl Borneos too. As L8HNB found, they're a bit heavy when you're used to the super-lightweight Brashers, but equally waterproof (I use them for more mountainous country where the thicker leather and chunkier sole helps).

Wellies are great for a short distance but I wouldn't like to walk all day in them.

For caching, the Brashers had the advantage that you can easily drive a car in them so you don't have to keep changing between caches.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

are you sure you're not buying trainers Alan?! :D I've had my pair of Zamberlans for 14 years

It's mileage that counts, not longevity :P. And I think that my trainers are probably more waterproof anyway :unsure:.

But seriously, I've never heard of Zamberlans. I buy all my walking boots from high street stores. Aside from the very first pair I bought none have lasted more than a couple of years. The first pair lasted because that was BC and they weren't used as much as they are now.

All have claimed to be waterproof and none of them have proved to be. Even without the obvious problem described by John (Pharisee) water gets in somewhere. It's not just me either: Steph's boots have the same problem. We now routinely carry a second pair of socks around with us - doesn't make the inside of the boots dry again but at least makes the feet more comfortable.

The other problem with walking boots is that tread wears down very quickly and now that the mud is here again walking is often more like skating :).

. I've found the only way to overcome that is to wear a pair of Gortex boot liners over my socks if I'm expecting to be walking through wet grass.

Interesting. How thick are they - will they fit between sock and boot in existing boots or do they need a larger size boot (or a thinner sock)?

The ones I have are very thin and can be put on, over your normal walking socks, before you put your boots on. There is no need to use larger size boot or thinner socks but having said that, I usually keep them with a pair thinner socks in a zip-loc bag in my ruck-sack. That way, if I do get wet feet for any reason, (like wading across rivers in the Brecon Beacons :P ) I have a clean, dry pair of socks to put on before using the liners inside wet boots.

are you sure you're not buying trainers Alan?! :) I've had my pair of Zamberlans for 14 years

It's mileage that counts, not longevity :laughing:. And I think that my trainers are probably more waterproof anyway :P.

But seriously, I've never heard of Zamberlans. I buy all my walking boots from high street stores. Aside from the very first pair I bought none have lasted more than a couple of years. The first pair lasted because that was BC and they weren't used as much as they are now.

All have claimed to be waterproof and none of them have proved to be. Even without the obvious problem described by John (Pharisee) water gets in somewhere. It's not just me either: Steph's boots have the same problem. We now routinely carry a second pair of socks around with us - doesn't make the inside of the boots dry again but at least makes the feet more comfortable.

The other problem with walking boots is that tread wears down very quickly and now that the mud is here again walking is often more like skating :laughing:.

touche (can't do accet on e...) :laughing:

You might have a point though - apart from a 4 week expedition in the Alps when I first got them, they don't get used a great deal - I much prefer lightweight fabrics. I have trainer-likie Merrells for absolutely no mud in sight caching, Some Salomons for the occasional bit of mud. my Karrimor boots if Its fairly muddy and wet, and the leathers if I'm going to be wading thorough yards of gunk like the Chiltern 100 last weekend! Of course, I don;t always get it right when I choose...

My Zamberlans are on a par with the lighter weight Scarpa boots - which I looked at when I was buying but they don;t suit my feet. MrsPP has Scarpas. Italian make, although admittedly not in every shop - although I think either Cotswold Outdoor or Field & trek do them - I tend to get most of my gear from these two. At the moment, if I had to chose one pair of walking shoes from my selection, it would be the karrimor boots though...

Hello. It be me again.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions on this thread. I haven't heard of half the brands some are talking about here. I'll have to investigate a bit more. The socks I mentioned on my original post are in fact Sealskinz. They work a treat, a bit expensive, but they do all that's promised. If I bought enough pairs I (or someone who does such things) could make some trousers out of them. :)

I should also state here that I use ankle gaiters. My main reasons for using them are -

1. They stop my trousers from dragging on the floor as even the shortest leg fit is too long for a shorty like me. :P

2. As I am quite short, full size gaiters would be more like waders on me, but then again that could be the answer to my waterproof trousers dilemma.

I, or should that be Mrs Scoff, uses Nikwax Tech wash to wash my waterproof stuff, and the same brand waterproofing spray. My question to those of you who know much more than I is : Using those products, how much waterproofiness can I expect on your typical Berghaus coat that has goretex etc (don't ask specifics, I don't know them). Is it that you can only achieve a certain level of waterproofiness?

Thanks to Martlakes for the MWIS suggestion for weather forecasts, but they only do the Snowdonia range for weekends. Which is normally fine, but not for today. I have added it to my favourites for future use.

So I had finally decided to go up Snowdon. Finally got to a level of fitness that for me is superb, but for most is laughable, anyway, after 18 months or so of walking up mountains of increasing height, I thought I'd go for it, especially if the weather was ok!

So I got the BBC forecast, both the online and TV forecast agreed, cloudy, but dry. I searched the internet and found the Met Offices official Snowdonia page which suggested hill fog and wind higher up, light showers all over, and some sunny spells lower down. And in all fairness the Met Office was spot on. So I will use them from now on as they have a 100% record for accuracy. I'm sure they will never let me down.

The walk up the Pyg track was excellent. it rained twice, but nothing much to bother my waterproofs. Just as well.

Thanks again for all your replies.

Scoff

Glad your walk went well: I love the PyG Track. There is a multitude of opinions on waterproofs, so others may disagree on the details, but my opinion on Gore-Tex (after extensive testing) is that it's pretty good but doesn't keep you entirely dry on anything like a moderately strenuous walk if it's raining and windy.

Perhaps frequent reproofing is the answer: I find that the surface becomes absorbent after a bit of use and this allows water to soak through quite easily.

Some people insist that Páramo waterproofs work better, although it's a different principle from Gore-Tex (and the like). Perhaps I'll give it a try some time.