Can I log a find without leaving home?

CapeDoc

Can I log a find of a 3 and a half star terrain rated cache, from the top of a mountain, without leaving home? Logbook signed, swag traded?

Ok, I'll explain.

I have a non caching friend (who knows about caching) who went for a walk to the top of a mountain. He found a bemugggled (baboon muggled) cache that I haven't found yet. Being concerned, he gathered up the strewn contents and brought the cache to me, log book and all.

Can I sign the log, do a trade and log a find? I have after all had the cache in my hands now. (He volunteered to return it to its rightful place)

Armchair caching taken to a new level.....

If you can proclaim to the world that "I found this cache!" with a clear conscience, then go for it. I've heard of far lamer excuses for claiming a find without actually finding a cache. The most similar to your situation would be the case where a guy who normally cached with a certain group was sick and couldn't participate in a planned group hunt. He stayed on the phone with the group during the entire hunt, claimed he was there "in spirit", and logged "Found It" for all the found caches. Again, if your conscience is clear, go for it; but expect that some people will disagree and flame you if you announce what you're doing in the public forums.

But in defense of allowing a find, I have to admire the ingenuity of the argument. The most common "rules" stated for a find is that you have to 1) locate and retrieve the container, 2) find and sign the log book, and 3) return the cache back to its original position. You've done the first two (with a little help from a friend), and your friend will return the cache for you to fulfill number 3. Many people claim finds on caches where they never saw the actual hiding place (usually caching with groups, the stragglers who arrive on-site last just have to walk up and sign the already opened log book, or on most-finds-in-a-day marathons only one person jumps out of the car to grab the cache and sign the log, or parents who let their more-agile kids scramble up the rocky hill and bring the cache to them on the trail). The fact that you were never within miles of the cache location is just a minor technicality.

Again, it's all about your personal preference. I personally would not claim it as a find because I would want to enjoy the hike to the cache at a later date. If you never plan on climbing that mountain, then go for it.

How about fixing up the cache (as you said you're doing) and then going with your friend on the hike to replace it? I don't think people would squawk about that.

Excellent advice! Edited by J-Way

How about fixing up the cache (as you said you're doing) and then going with your friend on the hike to replace it? I don't think people would squawk about that.

Excellent advice!

Bingo!

There is something called a pocket cache which is where someone brings you a cache to sign, like at an event. Big no-no and could get the cache permanently archived. So comparing your situation I'd say put the cache back before signing.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Excellent advice!

Bingo!

There is something called a pocket cache which is where someone brings you a cache to sign, like at an event. Big no-no and could get the cache permanently archived. So comparing your situation I'd say put the cache back before signing.

This does actually sound just like a pocket cache!!

I personally wouldn't log this as a find, but I don't care if you do. :)

If you can in good conscious say to yourself 'I found it', and if you can proclaim to the geocaching community, right now, that the cache is there and can be found, then do so.

But I'd not log it as a find. I'd log a note stating that the cache is currently missing and let people who would normally climb a mountain thinking that the cache is there since "you just logged it" know it's not all right, and then return the cache myself.

Then I'd log the find.

Edited by trainlove

Can I log a find of a 3 and a half star terrain rated cache, from the top of a mountain, without leaving home? Logbook signed, swag traded?

Ok, I'll explain.

I have a non caching friend (who knows about caching) who went for a walk to the top of a mountain. He found a bemugggled (baboon muggled) cache that I haven't found yet. Being concerned, he gathered up the strewn contents and brought the cache to me, log book and all.

Can I sign the log, do a trade and log a find? I have after all had the cache in my hands now. (He volunteered to return it to its rightful place)

Email the owner and ask. Personally I'd say no. You didn't find the cache the owner hid, or even remotly close to what the owner hid. Each cache has an intended an experience.

I wouldn't log it, but it won't bother me one teeny tiny bit if you log it, particularly if you have the owner's concurrence ...

... but it's not up to me. It's not up to anyone but you and the cacher owner.

If I were you I would email the owner, describe your experience as you did here, and ask about logging it. If the owner invites you to log your activity as a find – AND if you feel it's appropriate – then go for it. If I were the owner I'd probably say yes. (When it comes to arbitrary logging standards I hold myself to a higher standard than I hold others.)

If the owner declines, then at least you will have an easier decision to make.

Thanks for all the replies!

This topic was all just a little tongue in cheek and was more to share an interesting geocaching experience. I would never log this as a find, have posted a "needs maintenance" note, have contacted the owner offering to return the cache to him, or to its location. He has requested me to return the cache to its hiding place, which I shall do to the best of my abilities (as I don't really know where it was hidden - the owner has given me all the info he can) after fixing it up and adding new swag. It will be replaced in about 2 weeks and then I MAY log a really .... strange.... feeling find.

I am STILL in the process of convincing my friend to register and log his find.

:D

Edited by CapeDoc

CapeDoc:

Your last posting obviated the need for me to formulate a reply. That's good as the whole thing was making my head hurt.

Instead, I'll just say that if you're even in Los Angeles, let me know and I'll take you out for a beer!

Just remember to beware of the tokoloshe, which I understand are worse than muggles. :-)

Kind offer of the beer! If you come to Cape Town I'll buy you a umqombothi! Maybe then we will be more able to spot the tokoloshe!

Ok, I'll explain.

it would make a nice story for the log, make sure to add it to the log.

wether its a "Find it" log or a "write note" log ill leave that upto you.

i would make it a "Write note".

Edited by Guinness70

He has requested me to return the cache to its hiding place, which I shall do to the best of my abilities (as I don't really know where it was hidden - the owner has given me all the info he can) after fixing it up and adding new swag. It will be replaced in about 2 weeks and then I MAY log a really .... strange.... feeling find.

I am STILL in the process of convincing my friend to register and log his find.

:)

Is the non-caching friend unavailable to accompany you to the exact spot on the mountain where he found the cache? That's where it's most likely supposed to go, or to the coordinates.

So in the end....

Cache contents all dried out, photos and notes all laminated to help them last, Ziploc bags for everything, swag added. Walked up the mountain, found the hiding place (fitted the description on the page perfectly and had tell tail "rock stack") replaced cache.........and then signed the log as a find!

The first cache I have maintained before I found it! :laughing:

Anyone else done similar?

Edited by CapeDoc

So in the end....

Cache contents all dried out, photos and notes all laminated to help them last, Ziploc bags for everything, swag added. Walked up the mountain, found the hiding place (fitted the description on the page perfectly and had tell tail "rock stack").........and then signed the log as a find!

The first cache I have maintained before I found it! :laughing:

Anyone else done similar?

I've done something similar, up to the part about logging it as a find, because I didn't actually find it.

Edited by briansnat

C'mon...is this really a question? The cache had a location with latitudinal and longitudinal directives. Are you at that location? I understand folks saying, "Do what you want to do," but you asked the question and here's my answer: Absolutely not. Instead, you should contact the cace owner and make arrangements to return the cache to its original location or meet up to give the cache back to its owner.

Premium Member

Group: Premium Members

C'mon...is this really a question? The cache had a location with latitudinal and longitudinal directives. Are you at that location? I understand folks saying, "Do what you want to do," but you asked the question and here's my answer: Absolutely not. Instead, you should contact the cache owner and make arrangements to return the cache to its original location or meet up to give the cache back to its owner.

Um.....did you read post 11 ....or...20?

Allow ME to be blunt! You did not find the cache and you can't say you did - that is it! You already know that!

Play the game right, unless you could enjoy playing football with a hoola hoop!

Your contribution to repairing and advising about the cache is greatly appreciated and is a great help - take credit for what you did - it was a good thing.

After your friend goes to replace the cache without you - look it up on the web site, download the co-ords, read your maps, load your GPS and back pack and, and, and, and go find it. Once you have found it, just like the rest of the world - please, by all means log it and tell us all what a wonderful time you had and how much you love doing it. If you find it in a Lampost - forget everything I said.

Cache On! and love it!