In the Mood for Caching

AtwellFamily

It is interesting that you said this. I ordered 5 of them, and just took one out today when they arrived. When I held it between my palms, it changed color and I could see the logo. But once you posted this, I picked up a different one, and it didn't change color. I tested them all. 3 of them do change color when I hold them in my hands, and two of them stay black. I wonder why some would work and not others.

Ok I've held them all now. It appears that from a room temperature coin the design appears briefly then it fades to a opaque color (black, blue, green) when you set them down. If you hold them - at least with mine - for long periods, they just appear black.

At least I hope that's not because of my mood! :mad:

<_<

Anyway, I'd love to hear what others get from their own experience.

I placed mine between the palms of my hands and the sysmbol showed up with a sort of yellow glow surrounded by green. Then it faded away, changing from a green background to redish, to purple and finally black. :D

The symbol doesn't seem to show up very well unless the coins are given a chance to cool back down to a completely dark background before placing them back between the palms of my hands. I think that's because the surface over the raised symbol heats up faster, allowing it to change color sooner. ;)

It is interesting that you said this. I ordered 5 of them, and just took one out today when they arrived. When I held it between my palms, it changed color and I could see the logo. But once you posted this, I picked up a different one, and it didn't change color. I tested them all. 3 of them do change color when I hold them in my hands, and two of them stay black. I wonder why some would work and not others.

I can't figure out how to edit my first post, so I'll just add another. I tried all the coins again today, after they sat for 24 hours in my toasty house, and they all changed color right away. Must have been that a couple of them were still cold from sitting in my upstate NY mailbox all day (big snowstorm starting here right now...).

I can't figure out how to edit my first post, so I'll just add another. I tried all the coins again today, after they sat for 24 hours in my toasty house, and they all changed color right away. Must have been that a couple of them were still cold from sitting in my upstate NY mailbox all day (big snowstorm starting here right now...).

When the metal gets cold it is difficult to get them to change.

Mike

The color changes for maybe a second and I can barley see the Groundspeak logo. The color than changes to a dark greenish color and that's it. Is this the way it is supposed to act?

The coin will change from black to brown, to orange/red to green and then blue. During each color change you should be albe to see the logo. If it donesn;t change that much then your not in the mood. Or you just are not that warm.

I did not even realize that there was a GC logo under there. Mine arrived in a very COLD mailbox. Since I was sitting in the car, waiting for Heather at the bus stop when I opened it, I slid it under my leg to warm it up (my hands were not warm enough). When the bus came, I stood up and the coin was totally blue. Cool! When I got home and tried it with my thumb, that was when I noticed the GC logo. VERY cool!

It seems that some show off the logo a little better then other coins. I was trying to figure out the material over the logo. When the material heats up and changes color, is it actually tightening up to allow the impression to show through? I know this may be a trade secret on the making of this coin. But it may explain why it does not seem to be as effective on some coins and not others.

Please do not get me wrong, I love the concept and the coin. I have played with them extensively and showed them off just as much. But I know I can do the same thing to different ones and only barely see the logo on some and see it well on others.