Cache placement question...

ArtieD

Hello, all...

I have a question about a cache placement that I would like to do but have a permission question.

My wife works at the local hospital here in town which owns a large expanse of wooded area. In that large area behind the hospital is a nice walking trail within that expanse. She has told me that the trail and included woods is open to the public to use, preferably in the daylight hours.

My question is...would it be fine to place a cache there as I have done in the city park system utilizing the "frisbee rule" since this trail and adjoining area is open for use by the public without permission needed?

Thanks.

Is it private property or public land? The answer to that may be the answer to your question.

It is private land since the hospital owns it, but anyone can use the area whenever they wish, preferably during daylight hours.

So what will the security guards say to someone who is wandering the grounds after dark?

Is it private property or public land? The answer to that may be the answer to your question.

It is private land since the hospital owns it, but anyone can use the area whenever they wish, preferably during daylight hours.

So what will the security guards say to someone who is wandering the grounds after dark?

Good question...there are no guards there ever. If the need arises, and the need usually involves an emergency, the police are called. The area is far enough from the building that I don't think there would be a concern about that, though. What if it was put on the cache page that this cache is not to be done at night?

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

Good question...there are no guards there ever. If the need arises, and the need usually involves an emergency, the police are called. The area is far enough from the building that I don't think there would be a concern about that, though. What if it was put on the cache page that this cache is not to be done at night?

Thats another good idea! Sure just put a availbility time frame. Most geocachers from what I have seen follow the rules that are specified to them because it only benifits them that the cache is placed there.

Edited by yodazuk

If that's the case, I'm sure that the hospital estates department will be happy to give permission.

It's private land - that means that permission is required.

I'd get explicit permission. I take it your wife is a geocacher, too? If so, not only is she in the position to find out who to ask, but do at least a bit of evangelical work.

"So, did you and your husband go do that geo-thingie again this weekend?"

"Yep. Had a blast, too. Say, did you know there is a geocache over in the woods?"

"No, really?"

"Uh, huh. Wanna go see it what we do on the weekends?"

This way it's a little more mainstream, even if it's a bit kooky. Knowing what it is makes it a bit less menacing. So, while folks are out having their smoke break, see a higher number of strange folks heading to the woods, and make a comment, it's more likely someone in the group will have heard about it. Less likely to call out the police, bomb squad, National Guard, S.W.A.T. and Sector 7.

As far as not doing the cache at night, it's going to happen. You could put money on it. Some folks won't read the cache page. Other will read it and go for the cache anyway. If the occasional night cacher is fine then name it "NOT AT NIGHT" and be happy with only a few night cachers. If your wife's job depends on no night cachers then do not place the cache. Period.

Sounds like a great spot.

I've got one like that called "Ask Your Doctor". There is a sign at the beginning of the trail recommending consulting your physician before exercising. That cache has probably received more favorable reviews than any of my other caches simply because it's along a very pretty trail that almost everyone that has found the cache didn't know existed. I discovered the trail when my wife was in the hospital after my son was born. When I started geocaching it was one of the first places I thought of to place a cache.