I need some help getting a GPS

Shaderunner

When I was looking for a GPS unit the most important feature for me was connectivity to my computer. I do not have a serial port and had read that the serial to USB adapters work around 60% of the time, not very reassuring to me. So I focused on models that utilized USB cables. Those models were:

Venture CX or HC

Legend C, CX, or HCX

Summit HC

Vista C, CX, or HCX

60 C, CS, CX, CSX

76 C, CX, CSX

I then looked for features that were important to me. I ended up purchasing the 60 CSX. If I were to buy again, I probably would go for either the Legend HCX or Vista HCX. I did purchase my daughters the Venture CX and they have had no problems with it.

The old plain eTrex Legend was a fine unit a few years ago but time has really passed it by.

The newer Legend HCx is a fine Geocaching unit with all you will need bulit in. Goes for about $190.

Second choice would be the Garmin Venture HC. You give up autorouting and expandable map memory but otherwise is pretty much the same unit for about $135.

USB, color screen, long battery life, high sensitivity, Geocaching mode, rugged units.

The old plain eTrex Legend was a fine unit a few years ago but time has really passed it by.

The newer Legend HCx is a fine Geocaching unit with all you will need bulit in. Goes for about $190.

Second choice would be the Garmin Venture HC. You give up autorouting and expandable map memory but otherwise is pretty much the same unit for about $135.

USB, color screen, long battery life, high sensitivity, Geocaching mode, rugged units.

Is auto routing at all required or a lot easier for geocaching?

Is auto routing at all required or a lot easier for geocaching?

Auto routing will get you to a parking area. So unless you know the area, use maps (urban and rural). Auto routing is a good feature, in my opinion, to have. I have a Garmin 60 CSX, which has auto rounting but never us it. I use my Garmin Nuvi 260W with paperless macro for that.

Hi,

I am new to this and looking for a good GPS to buy. I was researching some ones that might be good...It seems that the Garmin eTREX Legend is good, but I wanted to get some opinions here before I buy it. Thank you!

Unless you can get the Legend real cheap (like under $50) forget it. It was a good unit in its day, but its day was 7 years ago. The newer eTrex units (with H in the name) get far better reception, more map memoory (or expansion slots), have color displays and a fast USB connection.

I'd suggest looking into the Venture HC or the Legend HCX if you like the eTrex line. The Legend HCX offers autorouting and expandable map memory. The Venture HC is a decent mapping GPS that is a good choice if you already have a GPS for your automobile.

Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx.......Check out the web....eBay, Garmin, and where electronics are sold....prices are coming down....Think head of the line.....Happy Trails

I checked out the Legend HCx and it looks pretty good, but from the reviews it says you probably need to buy more maps...is there anywhere you can get those for free or do you have to purchase them? Also, for anyone that personally owns one of these, can the compass be deactivated? I heard it wasted battery.

Edited by Shaderunner

I look at it this way. My first GPS was an eTrex Legend. I've also owned a Vista. Now I have a 60Csx. I think it's just smarter to buy the 60 Csx the first time and be done with it. The 60CSx is a venerable and bulletproof wokhorse. Find one for less than $300 including shipping, and you won't be sorry.

Occasionally I've found one used and in great condition for $200 on Craigslist.

Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx.......Check out the web....eBay, Garmin, and where electronics are sold....prices are coming down....Think head of the line.....Happy Trails

I checked out the Legend HCx and it looks pretty good, but from the reviews it says you probably need to buy more maps...is there anywhere you can get those for free or do you have to purchase them? Also, for anyone that personally owns one of these, can the compass be deactivated? I heard it wasted battery.

I don't think the compass is a waists batteries. Besides... your going to want to use it to find GZ once you'll parked the car :P . I bought a charger 4 w/ 2000 mAh PowerX Lithium batteries and they last me all day long and then some (about 12 to 16 hours). Cost was in the $30 range and in two months of caching every Saturday they are close to paying for themselves. If your not going to be a hardcore cacher disposables might be best to keep your start up cost down.