How could someone do this?

It is the same 1st amendment flaunted by homosexuals who produce and sell sex toys in the shape of the cross of calvary and of Jesus to express their disdain for Christianity (which I find highly offensive :huh: ) yet i've never tried to suppress their right to sell their wares.

WOAH! never seen this....I pray I never do.....disgusting

We agree B) . It is inappropriate for any group to try and punish, mock, or degrade others that are different.

As I was going to perform maintenance on my cache, LEEn on me, I found this in the grapevines about 10 ft away from the cache.... Do people really get this upset at a DNF that they have to leave this for kids to potentially find?

I wouldn't be concerned about kids finding it.

It was most likely a kid that wrote that comment and left the printout nearby. That type of language is used mostly by 13 and 14 year olds who haven't reached puberty yet and are "worried". Sometimes it carries onto adulthood but since there is no evidence of that, just throw it away and forget about it.

This is Texas....its used by everyone, almost as commonly as "and"

:o:D:) Open mouth. Insert foot. :huh:B)B)

I'm in Texas and I don't use it.... :ph34r:

I don't know anyone here who uses the term frequently who is over the age of 20.

I have found geocachers to be more accepting of gays than any other group of people I have been associated with.

I have never heard a geocacher openly bash gays, (my experience, mileage may vary) but I have heard a few short sighted homophobic remarks which is fairly natural for the ignorant. In nearly 6 years they average out to nearly zero.

Personally, I'm sorry you had this negative experience here in Texas. I think you're being a little sensitive, but the discussion you started has been an interesting read. :)

It can only bother you as much as you let it.

Period.

~*

when the old synagogue in the north end got swastikas painted on it, should that congregation have decided not to be bothered?

hey, you can only be as bothered as you let it. that makes it your own fault if you decide that you would like to be treated with rightful respect, your own fault if you don't like harassment.

Wow, that's really a large strawman argument you've made there.

Starhopper said the names written on the trash in the woods can only bother you as much as you let it. That's not even close to being equal to stalking, assault and battery (like being beaten up or being stuffed into a locker), having your personal property damaged (like your door or the swastikas), losing your job, etc.

Starhopper: "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

Flask: "Oh yeah, well what about when someone breaks your legs with a bat while they're using the bad words? Should we not care about those words?"

no, not a strawman.

strawman-300x276.gif

flask? When was the gay holocaust?

Nice Reductio ad Hitlerum. :huh:

As I was going to perform maintenance on my cache, LEEn on me, I found this in the grapevines about 10 ft away from the cache.... Do people really get this upset at a DNF that they have to leave this for kids to potentially find?

I wouldn't be concerned about kids finding it.

It was most likely a kid that wrote that comment and left the printout nearby. That type of language is used mostly by 13 and 14 year olds who haven't reached puberty yet and are "worried". Sometimes it carries onto adulthood but since there is no evidence of that, just throw it away and forget about it.

This is Texas....its used by everyone, almost as commonly as "and"

:o:D:) Open mouth. Insert foot. :huh:B)B)

I'm in Texas and I don't use it.... :ph34r:

I don't know anyone here who uses the term frequently who is over the age of 20.

I have found geocachers to be more accepting of gays than any other group of people I have been associated with.

I have never heard a geocacher openly bash gays, (my experience, mileage may vary) but I have heard a few short sighted homophobic remarks which is fairly natural for the ignorant. In nearly 6 years they average out to nearly zero.

Personally, I'm sorry you had this negative experience here in Texas. I think you're being a little sensitive, but the discussion you started has been an interesting read. :)

Didnt mean EVERYONE in that sense.... meant everyone as in "people of all ages"......sorry..... should have been more specific!

Geocaching is not neat. You give up control over your caches, your TBs. You find caches which aren't in good shape. You meet people (in person or indirectly) who aren't like you.

I learned long ago that bicyclists are just as diverse as the population in general, that because someone else is a bicyclist doesn't increase the probability that I have anything in common with them. Same is probably true for geocaching, though my experience here is less.

Restricting the set changes things. I do tend to have a great deal in common with self-contained touring bicyclists. The cachers I've met tend to find caches in remote areas on long hikes. I seem to have a long in common with them.

I agree with flask.

I didn't use the & word.

Edward

Let me rephrase it a little...

The people who wrote this aren't worthy of your anger. You're not likely to be able to figure out with certainty who wrote it and I doubt you could change them even if you did know. Even if you did figure it out unless you are planning to lower yourself to their level and retaliate in some way it's probably better to put it behind you. :huh:

Better?

[ Didnt mean EVERYONE in that sense.... meant everyone as in "people of all ages"......sorry..... should have been more specific!

It all depends on what your meaning of "is"...........is!! B):huh::ph34r:

And let's not forget "condone"! :o

My name is Chuckwagon and I "condone" this message!" (I wonder what THAT means!!) LOL! I crack myself up! LOL! :):DB)

As soon as I saw HauntHunters post refering to hatespeak as one word, I knew that the Rush Limbaugh dittoheads would pounce on that as trying to stop free speech.

One does not need to be a "dittohead" to believe in free speech. :huh:

Seems to me, the way tozainamboku wrote about the "Rush Limbaugh dittoheads" was a form of hatespeak -- but it's got to the point where that doesn't count.

I wish that Photobucket wasn't blocked (at work) but from what I get someone left the cache printout near your cache with 'bad' words about your sexual preference. Not to be rude but looking at your profile page and the web site you have,’ if it quacks like a duck’ comes to mind and from what I see you are very ducky. I can’t believe you haven’t ever heard negative things before. For god sakes, If you are going to be gay, at least be a man about it.

Someone PLEASE e-mail me the pics – I’m dieing to see them.

Period.

~*

that's just silly.

And that (all)'s just ignorance. Or more, the apparent inability to comprehend the written English language.

Or did you miss the "as much as" part?

(Hint: Find where I said it shouldn't bother you.)

~*

Edited by Star*Hopper

Period.

~*

Exactly! If you are secure with your lifestyle, a note like this shouldn't be much of a problem at all. Throw it away, stop dwelling on it and move on as best you can! Not trying to be callous about it, just being practical!

Words can only hurt the ones who allow them to!

Watchdog...that's about as rude a comment I have seen in this thread, maybe thought should be put into what you plan to say before showing your true colors (because your remarks certainly make you look to be homophobic). Being of any sexual preference shouldn't mean they need to hide it....should it? What you're saying leans to the "don't tell or else" mindset. Being gay doesn't mean others should target them for their preference, and suggesting they brought it upon themselves is.....well something I'd imagine a child doing...not an adult!

Period.

~*

Exactly! If you are secure with your lifestyle, a note like this shouldn't be much of a problem at all. Throw it away, stop dwelling on it and move on as best you can! Not trying to be callous about it, just being practical!

I don't think it is necessary for you to try to be callous in order to be callous. Is there a certain subset of people that are sooo thick skinned that they never have emotional pain? Why do you assume that he is not moving on as best he can? How is it that when someone writes or says something intended to be hurtful that it is his shortcoming when it hurts? Now it might be easier for him if it didn't hurt, but not everyone is that insensitive.

Let me rephrase it a little...

The people who wrote this aren't worthy of your anger. You're not likely to be able to figure out with certainty who wrote it and I doubt you could change them even if you did know. Even if you did figure it out unless you are planning to lower yourself to their level and retaliate in some way it's probably better to put it behind you. :laughing:

Better?

Kinder and Gentler. Very nice.

It is the same 1st amendment flaunted by homosexuals who produce and sell sex toys in the shape of the cross of calvary and of Jesus to express their disdain for Christianity (which I find highly offensive :laughing: ) yet i've never tried to suppress their right to sell their wares.

How does that incite violence and hate against Christians? It sounds like a product that's made and used privately by individuals who feel oppressed by Christians and their subsequent homophobia and declarations that God Hates F.... Well, I'm sure most of you are familiar.

It's not the most mature response to being oppressed, but since it hurts no one, who cares? They can make legal products and sell them to legal-aged consumers. Call me when someone incites violence towards Christians and people are really in danger, like in Sudan. America has no such problems. Gay people, even Gay Christians who should be part of a Church Body that loves and accepts them, don't feel as safe in the same America as I do. I think that's a problem.

Free Speech is in the Constitution. The Constitution also tells us that every man is equal. It also guarantees every one of us the rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Frankly, I'm tired of people thinking that Free Speech somehow justifies their hatespeak and that everyone is entitled to oppress others and make others miserable, despite how much it conflicts with the parts of the Constitution that guarantee equality, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness to the ones who are being oppressed.

Name-calling, out of frustration or otherwise, is not as harmless as we want to make it seem. Even if writing a gay slur was not something that this person would have done with a rational mind, it remains that it was in their capability to do it... because it was done. This person might not even hate gay people at all. Maybe they just don't know anyone who's gay or maybe their gay friends feel too intimidated to tell them that saying "gay" to mean "bad" isn't appropriate. We don't know any of these things. We can give the litterbug a lot of credit here because we don't know anything about this person other than that they're were incapable of finding a cache and handled it very poorly. One thing we can't do is demand that everyone keep on associating homosexuality with negativity like it's no big deal because that has disasterous and inhumane results.

Now, since this is all off-topic, I'll bring it back by saying that Geocaching requires a lot of shrugging and letting things go. Geocachers deal with Cache Maggots and other destructive souls, and the best that an individual cacher can do is just shrug and let it go. Cache on! Don't let it bother you! If it were just trash left behind, if the person had scrawled "JERKS!" instead, you wouldn't hear a peep out of me. Someone called me an "a**h..." across the log when they trashed one of my cache hides. Other than being basic profanity, the insult didn't bother me. I actually had some fun about the whole incident. So, yeah, so what, right?

It's just that using a slur is about more than just Geocaching, more than just Cachers being rude to one another. It's more a society condition that needs severe and immediate changing. It's in a case like this where the use of the slur requires more than the standard Geocacher's Cache On philosophy. I challenge everyone on this forum to think for a moment whether they've used these slurs or even called something "gay" to mean it was bad. Consider whether that's the best thing to say or the best way to act.

Not everyone is going to be mature or considerate and we do have to deal with that. That doesn't mean the only way to deal with unacceptable behavior is to ignore it and move on. That doesn't mean flask and others can't speak up to say that something unacceptable is unacceptable. Free Speech, right?

- Elle

It looks to me like someone has come out to find a cache and hasn't found it, they obviously can't handle this fact very well and in their anger they have scrawled the first offensive remark their little minds can think of on the print out and thrown it on the ground.

Today it just happened to be one of your caches and they used that word. Next week they may fail to find someone elses cache, scrawl another expletive on the print out and discard it in another area.

Geocaching has all sorts of people, just like the rest of society, this person unfortunately seems to be bad tempered and foul mouthed, I wouldn't take it as a personal offence, they probably shouted at road users on their way home, maybe the drive through didn't have what they wanted to order and they used bad language then as well.

Somebody lost their temper because they couldn't find a hidden plastic box in the woods, don't let it worry you :laughing:

It is the same 1st amendment flaunted by homosexuals who produce and sell sex toys in the shape of the cross of calvary and of Jesus to express their disdain for Christianity (which I find highly offensive :laughing: ) yet i've never tried to suppress their right to sell their wares.

How does that incite violence and hate against Christians? It sounds like a product that's made and used privately by individuals who feel oppressed by Christians and their subsequent homophobia and declarations that God Hates F.... Well, I'm sure most of you are familiar.

What other reason to create this items, other than to express hatred and mockery of Christianity. Didn't you say it is wrong to spread hatred "hate speak?"

It's not the most mature response to being oppressed, but since it hurts no one, who cares?

Hurts no one? What about the families that see these items being sold on the streets during so-called "pride parades?"

Free Speech is in the Constitution. The Constitution also tells us that every man is equal. It also guarantees every one of us the rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Frankly, I'm tired of people thinking that Free Speech somehow justifies their hatespeak and that everyone is entitled to oppress others and make others miserable, despite how much it conflicts with the parts of the Constitution that guarantee equality, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness to the ones who are being oppressed.

It is the same freedom of speech that you use to spread your agenda is it not?

What other reason to create this items, other than to express hatred and mockery of Christianity. Didn't you say it is wrong to spread hatred "hate speak?"

You will have to read my words to understand my message.

I already provided an explanation of another reason.

Hurts no one? What about the families that see these items being sold on the streets during so-called "pride parades?"

By "families", I assume you mean children, since Mommy and Daddy are grown-ups who can fully understand all these issues without any censoring. Anyway, children who would be hurt at the sight of such items probably should not be dragged to Gay Pride Parades by their parents.

What is my agenda? :laughing:

Go ahead and tell me all about the box you've put me in.

- Elle

Ya know, this all could have been avoided. The offending cacher could have just used my all-time favorite insult, and called the OP a "knucklehead". That's not offensive, right? Or, if he really wanted, he could have dropped the Faggot bomb, but he could have taken a cue from Seinfeld, and put "not that there's anything wrong with that" in parenthesis. :laughing:

I wish that Photobucket wasn't blocked (at work) but from what I get someone left the cache printout near your cache with 'bad' words about your sexual preference. Not to be rude but looking at your profile page and the web site you have,’ if it quacks like a duck’ comes to mind and from what I see you are very ducky. I can’t believe you haven’t ever heard negative things before. For god sakes, If you are going to be gay, at least be a man about it.

Someone PLEASE e-mail me the pics – I’m dieing to see them.

:D

Dude! You're sooo messing up my average. Thanks. :laughing:

:laughing:

You will have to read my words to understand my message.

I already provided an explanation of another reason.

By "families", I assume you mean children, since Mommy and Daddy are grown-ups who can fully understand all these issues without any censoring. Anyway, children who would be hurt at the sight of such items probably should not be dragged to Gay Pride Parades by their parents.

What is my agenda? :laughing:

Go ahead and tell me all about the box you've put me in.

- Elle

Seems you are only disturbed when the insult is pointed at someone/something you are passionate about. I could be wrong but it SEEMS that way. Edited by Trinity's Crew

Period.

~*

I don't think it is necessary for you to try to be callous in order to be callous. Is there a certain subset of people that are sooo thick skinned that they never have emotional pain? Why do you assume that he is not moving on as best he can? How is it that when someone writes or says something intended to be hurtful that it is his shortcoming when it hurts? Now it might be easier for him if it didn't hurt, but not everyone is that insensitive.

Let me see, obviously this is still botheriing the OP, they wouldn't have made the thread. My suggestion was to forget and move on as best as possible...dwelling on it isn't moving on my friend! Did I say it was his shortcoming?? No, I said move on and get over it as best as possible...dwelling on it is allowing it to hurt you more and words cannot hurt those who don't alow them to...did you read my post?

Insesitive??? Please.

As for the callous part...if you see me as callous, you're seeing someone else my friend! If being practical is being callous, I will apologize...my adding "not trying to be callous" was to point out I wasn't saying that to be mean, but I'm guessing those who read my post understood! :laughing:

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Seems you are only disturbed when the insult is pointed at someone/something you are passionate about. I could be wrong but it SEEMS that way.

What is this based on? This one issue where I'm just not shocked by a sex toy in the shape of my Savior? Is that really supposed to offend me? Even if it did, is it supposed to take precedence over gay-bashing... or is it supposed to justify gay-bashing? Maybe if this was AD 27 and the Romans made the toy, I might feel differently. But the toy itself doesn't disturb me, no.

But, hey, discredit me as only caring about... issues I care about. That way people don't have to think about the actual issue. :laughing:

- Elle

Seems you are only disturbed when the insult is pointed at someone/something you are passionate about. I could be wrong but it SEEMS that way.

What is this based on? This one issue where I'm just not shocked by a sex toy in the shape of my Savior? Is that really supposed to offend me? Even if it did, is it supposed to take precedence over gay-bashing... or is it supposed to justify gay-bashing? Maybe if this was AD 27 and the Romans made the toy, I might feel differently. But the toy itself doesn't disturb me, no.

But, hey, discredit me as only caring about... issues I care about. That way people don't have to think about the actual issue. :laughing:

- Elle

The issue on its most basic level is intolerance for people whose views differ from your own and you come across as intolerant of Kit Fox even though he was only trying to point out that there are radical people and plenty of intolerance on both sides of the issue.

After all, it WAS only a word written on piece of paper. The person who wrote it probably didn't intend for the OP to find it. From where I sit it's hardly gay-bashing. It's just the rantings of a small minded person whose stupidity wound up being banged around in a public forum by mere chance. But hey, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, as is everyone else.

- Elle

The issue on its most basic level is intolerance for people whose views differ from your own and you come across as intolerant of Kit Fox even though he was only trying to point out that there are radical people and plenty of intolerance on both sides of the issue.

After all, it WAS only a word written on piece of paper. The person who wrote it probably didn't intend for the OP to find it. From where I sit it's hardly gay-bashing. It's just the rantings of a small minded person whose stupidity wound up being banged around in a public forum by mere chance. But hey, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, as is everyone else.

Exactly....I dont see it as gay-bashing..... im upset that this is a sport that kids play and they could have found that....and he littered..... yea it sucks and it doesnt make me feel good when someone says that, but im not gonna go slit my wrists over it.....thats life, and we chose to take that on in order to be happy......and 99 percent of the time we're perfectly fine :laughing:

- Elle

Trinity's Crew,

Thanks for seeing my point. I'm tired of seeing the debate as a one sided issue. Straight people are victimized by Gays (less often) and there is no media uproar. A great example of the media bias happened after the Matthew Shepard killing (which was murder, and wrong). Where was the constant media coveraged when Matthew Shepard in reverse occurred?

Disagreement does not equal intolerance. I did not get personal with Kit Fox. He got personal with me. I really don't think I'm oppressing him with rational and reasonable arguments. Maybe you're thinking of things other people said?

It's just the rantings of a small minded person

...Who happens to think that calling someone a slur for gay is an acceptable way to portray frustration and anger at someone. We don't need to correct that thinking? We don't need to educate so less people think this way? Are you sure it'll go away if we just ignore it? :laughing:

Writing an insult on a piece of paper isn't a big deal. Let's move on. Littering is annoying (and illegal) and there's already activism (CITO) and the cache owner has already resolved this littering problem, so let's move on. Using homophobic language is a big deal and that needs to be erradicated from our society because of the damage that the attitudes and prejudices cause. Speaking against it is the activism for that.

That's been my point.

Getting personal with me doesn't change that, nor will it silence me.

- Elle

we'd like to think hatred belongs to people of lesser intelligence, but it's all over the honkin' place.

as for the computer literacy piece, the internet has been a godsend to hate groups of every stripe. it is their single best tool.

my experience of geocachers is that there is slightly MORE anti-gay and racial bias than in the general population, or at least the portion of the general population in which i travel.

i also have not found geocachers to be any smarter than anyone else. i have met more barely literate people through geocaching than anywhere else in my life, ever. if i count up all the people i know who are dumber 'n' a shovel, most of 'em i know through geocaching.

i knew these people existed, but they didn't travel in my sphere until i took up this sport. maybe it's a coincidence; maybe i was trapped in an insular population of socially liberal geniuses, but even if that's true geocachers are still no better than the average cross section of the population.

It's funny. When I was reading this, my window was positioned on the screen in such a way that I didn't see the poster's name or avatar - but I knew right away it was flask.

Disagreement does not equal intolerance. I did not get personal with Kit Fox. He got personal with me. I really don't think I'm oppressing him with rational and reasonable arguments. Maybe you're thinking of things other people said?

It's just the rantings of a small minded person

...Who happens to think that calling someone a slur for gay is an acceptable way to portray frustration and anger at someone. We don't need to correct that thinking? We don't need to educate so less people think this way? Are you sure it'll go away if we just ignore it? :laughing:

Writing an insult on a piece of paper isn't a big deal. Let's move on. Littering is annoying (and illegal) and there's already activism (CITO) and the cache owner has already resolved this littering problem, so let's move on. Using homophobic language is a big deal and that needs to be erradicated from our society because of the damage that the attitudes and prejudices cause. Speaking against it is the activism for that.

That's been my point.

Getting personal with me doesn't change that, nor will it silence me.

- Elle

You aren't going to get it. You don't want to. You refuse to be insulted by sex toys made in the image of Christ and you seem to think that anyone who does feel insulted is out of line. Yet you want to be indignant over a word written on a piece of paper. The thing is, BOTH are repugnant to those who are offended. Until you understand that there isn't much point in continuing the discussion.

- Elle

Trinity's Crew,

Thanks for seeing my point. I'm tired of seeing the debate as a one sided issue. Straight people are victimized by Gays (less often) and there is no media uproar. A great example of the media bias happened after the Matthew Shepard killing (which was murder, and wrong). Where was the constant media coveraged when Matthew Shepard in reverse occurred?

As usual, I find myself agreeing with Kit Fox completely. Funny how that happens, isn't it?

- Elle

Exactly....I dont see it as gay-bashing..... im upset that this is a sport that kids play and they could have found that....and he littered..... yea it sucks and it doesnt make me feel good when someone says that, but im not gonna go slit my wrists over it.....thats life, and we chose to take that on in order to be happy......and 99 percent of the time we're perfectly fine :laughing:

If your main reason for being upset was because you feared children would see this, why did you post it in an open forums where children can and do hang out??

I agree with the litter part.

This is all horribly off-topic but...

This article that you linked to talked about one person who fixated on one person, drugged them, raped them and killed them. I'm not seeing the connection to the Matthew Shepard murder. This is more of what any number of victimised women go through when some straight sick guy decides to drug, rape and murder someone. It's a crime that's not even about sex, but about control.

Matthew Shepard was a tragic case where he was killed simply for being gay. He was outnumbered, tortured and murdered in a long, drawn-out sick ordeal by a number of straight men who just didn't like that Shepard was gay. The motivation was his sexual orientation, not anything else.

Do you have more examples, maybe something less tenuous, that would be helpful for me to understand how gays oppress straights. I live in a State that allows me to get married while trying to create a State constitutional ammendment to ban gay people doing the same, so I need more examples to understand how the same thing happens to straight people from gays (just not as often). I assume you have more than one example.

- Elle

This is all horribly off-topic but...

You're right. It is horribly off-topic. Of course, this entire thread is horribly off-topic. Maybe it would be a good discussion for the off-topic forum.

:laughing:

I have opinions on the topic, too, but it's just not appropriate here, IMO.

Obligatory on-topic comment: The people who left the paper are clearly not mature enough to handle a DNF well. It's OK to be upset by it. Don't let people tell you how to feel. But it is probably best to try not to take it personally. That's how I try to deal with the various insults I have had thrown at me in this forum!

You refuse to be insulted by sex toys made in the image of Christ and you seem to think that anyone who does feel insulted is out of line.

I said I wasn't offended by a sex toy. Why does that upset you so much? :laughing:

- Elle

You still don't "get it." Yet another example of Gay bigotry against Christianity.

'Gays' mock Jesus with Last Supper take-off

Do you support the idea of mocking someone's reliogous beliefs?