Recommendations for Best Multipurpose GPS

PCSlayer

OK, my Magellan Sportrak finally bit the dust. I've decided I'd like to purchase a GPS that will serve multi purposes in my life. I enjoy fishing, hiking, hunting, and towing the family around from state to state in our camper. So I would like a GPS that might help with all these things. Any recommendations for a GPS that can pinpoint crappie fishing beds on our local lake, give us directions to the nearest campground when we are traveling around, allow me to mark waypoints along a busy deer trail when scouting in the fall, and, yes, a unit that is portable and allows me to search for those great stashes you all have placed around the country.

Money is an issue and if I have to sacrifice some things for others, I guess those sacrifices will have to be made. If I had to choose 2 things I enjoy most they would be fishing and hunting caches.

Looking for any and all recommendations. Thanks,

PCSlayer

For less than $200 - you can get the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx. Expandable memory, autorouting, long battery life, USB connections, Color Screen, Easy to use, rugged, Geocaching mode, high sensitivity. The bad - no electronic altimeter, compass and smallish screen. Add the routable maps from Garmin for about $90 more. Should cover everything you want to do and is a reasonable price.

If you want to save even more money than the aforementioned Legend HCx, look at the Venture HC (about $135). It has limited memory (24mb) and does not auto-route, but it does hold maps (from MetroGuide - $80) and uses the same POIs as the rest of the Garmin line.

But I, too, think the Legend HCx, at $195, is the best all-round GPS from Garmin.

If you are willing to spend up to $300 then go with the Garmin 60CSx or 76CSx. You will also end up wanting to buy some maps and a larger memory card. Maps: City Navigator NT North America and U.S. Topo are around $100 each, give or take a few dollars depending how where you get them. 2Gb memory cards can be bought for under $10.00.

Done a little shopping this afternoon. I've found a Garmin eTrex Vista Bundle for $199. This bundle package has the gps unit (I know its not color, but I've never had a color unit), Mapsource Topo software CD, data cable, and carrying pouch.

Anyone familiar with this unit? Pros? Cons?

Thanks,

PCSlayer

Done a little shopping this afternoon. I've found a Garmin eTrex Vista Bundle for $199. This bundle package has the gps unit (I know its not color, but I've never had a color unit), Mapsource Topo software CD, data cable, and carrying pouch.
That's three generations old and vastly overpriced.

I'm a little fuzzy, but that data cable may be serial, if it is avoid like the plague. Any current unit uses USB, most modern PC's no longer have serial.

For ~$250 you can get a Vista HCx bundle, brand new. Color, H chipset, x = microSD for GigaBytes of memory, Topo 2008 DVD.

I'm a little fuzzy, but that data cable may be serial, if it is avoid like the plague. Any current unit uses USB, most modern PC's no longer have serial.

For ~$250 you can get a Vista HCx bundle, brand new. Color, H chipset, x = microSD for GigaBytes of memory, Topo 2008 DVD.

thats not true. "Most" desktops still come with serial connections. Dell is the only one i could find that doesn't come with one. i never have had any problems with my serial connection to my GPSr.

I'd add for your consideration the Delorme PN-20. Refurbished units are available at TigerGPS for $170, which make them a great value. Routable topo map software is included, they have a high-quality screen (though small, about the same size as the eTrex). They're not as good at autorouting for longer routes as the Garmin handhelds, but it sounds like that may not be an important feature for you. If you're wanting to haul the camper a couple hundred miles, creating the route on the computer and transferring to the PN-20 would take care of that.

Here is a thread on the Delorme Users forum about hunting with the PN-20. It's great for caching; waypoint comments hold up to 800 characters, and Delorme has expressed the intention to increase or remove that limitation.

Another plus is that PN-20 owners will be eligible for the annual $29 unlimited download imagery subscription in the fall. The Delorme Topo7 data is generally good (1:24000), but it doesn't always have small streams or ponds represented. The USGS topo maps are a good complement to cover those gaps.

thats not true. "Most" desktops still come with serial connections. Dell is the only one i could find that doesn't come with one. i never have had any problems with my serial connection to my GPSr.
"Most" PC's these days are laptops, they haven't had serial connections for years. Got a new Compaq desktop 14-mo ago, no serial. When's the last time you purchased a new PC?

"Most" PC's these days are laptops, they haven't had serial connections for years. Got a new Compaq desktop 14-mo ago, no serial. When's the last time you purchased a new PC?

Don't want to get into a war with anyone over computer hardware, but... I purchased a new laptop (ACER) just 8 months ago. It come with multiple USB ports and one 15-pin serial port. Also has fire wire connection and 2 card slots. Just thought I'd add this.

Again, I'm not intending to stir things up, but want to make sure the truth is available.

The GPS bundle I looked at has a USB data cable. I wanted this over the serial connection. My last GPS had a 9-pin serial connection and I never could find out if there was a converter to go from 9 to 15 pins. I'd rather not go through this again. I'll be looking for one that uses either firewire or USB.

Thanks,

PC

Don't want to get into a war with anyone over computer hardware, but... I purchased a new laptop (ACER) just 8 months ago. It come with multiple USB ports and one 15-pin serial port. Also has fire wire connection and 2 card slots. Just thought I'd add this.

UHH, correction... I just leaned over to the right and took a look at the connection only to realize it was a monitor connection not a serial port. My bad.

PC

I still have my old monochome Vista (black and white) with MetroGuide maps. I now have a Vista HCx - HUGE difference in speed, features and price. Believe me, you don't want any of the Etrex models without the MediaTek or SiRF chips. Garmin must have a steady interest from third-world countries and/or novice level enthusiasts to still be offering them. Once you go to color, you will not go back. And yes, the old Etrex models and the current Etrex H only have a serial connection, a feature most new computers no longer support. USB is the current standard and the cables are ubiquitous.

Now, if you have Magellan hardware and software that can be used by current Magellan models, stick to a Magellan to save some $$.

Now, if you have Magellan hardware and software that can be used by current Magellan models, stick to a Magellan to save some $$.

I used to agree with that advice, and still think it holds in general. But after reading of the Magellan woes here I have so little confidence in the company that I would now say it sounds like a fine opportunity to cut losses and invest elsewhere.

Looking for any and all recommendations.

I had a Lowrance iFinder Expedition C for a couple years and just sold that and picked up a Lowrance XOG which is a "crossover" type GPS. It looks like a regular car type gps and has voice turn by turn, etc, but also has the ability to load topo/lake maps on a sd card. You can also download satelite imagry files from Lowrance's MapSelect site (costs quite a bit of $$ though for a decent size area).

It has most of the same features my old iFinder Expedition C has, along with the regular car type gps functions. I've only had it a couple weeks, but I've been quite happy with it so far.

Good luck with your decision.

Carl

Looking for any and all recommendations.

I had a Lowrance iFinder Expedition C for a couple years and just sold that and picked up a Lowrance XOG which is a "crossover" type GPS. It looks like a regular car type gps and has voice turn by turn, etc, but also has the ability to load topo/lake maps on a sd card. You can also download satelite imagry files from Lowrance's MapSelect site (costs quite a bit of $$ though for a decent size area).

It has most of the same features my old iFinder Expedition C has, along with the regular car type gps functions. I've only had it a couple weeks, but I've been quite happy with it so far.

Good luck with your decision.

Carl

Hate to keep posting my review on the XOG but have had it for a couple of months and really really like it and it does everything that you want! You can get the Navionics cards for fishing and you would be all set.

Do a search for XOG on here, I just posted a quick review for another person's discussion and I listed all the pros and cons. And the best part is Cabela's is selling it for $219!! Once you get to use it you'll like it. Oh and it uses an USB cable.

I would also step in and advise to get a earthmate pn-20 and topo 7.

I connect up to the laptop in the truck and away we go off towards Montana. It has been very cooll directing us into the remote montana lakes. Or anywhere we go usually the laptop is there.

Today had a cache that was on a mountain in the middle of nowhere, roads running everywhich way. Using topo 7 got me right into the site with no back tracking.

I also use mine for Forest stewardship program in Montana and laid out my 20 acres then did the grids for plots with it.

So yes I am biased but I came on board years ago when a GPS basic cost me a grand! Then came a serial port etrex vista. I still use it as a back up and the serial port works just fine. just no options like the newer units.

Edited by rambrush

Battery life is an issue, I've discovered that if you keep the screen lit and play around alot while on battery it's life is not that long 1-2 hours tops. BUT, I used it this last Saturday at a large swap meet and set the screen to auto shutoff and I managed to get a 5 hour battery life out of it even with adding locations to come back to later on. I did find a device that lets me plug into the power outlet and recharge the battery with a AA battery but I forgot it back in the truck when I headed into the swapmeet.

When geocaching I haven't had any issues, I plan on using the XOG for snowmobiling this winter and have a power outlet on the snowmobile and most boats I've been on also have a setup for plugging in the unit.

As for tech support for Lowrance it takes a bit for them to get back to you, but once you have their attention they are always fast to respond back with an email and seem to be able to address any issue I've had.

What is your experience with the battery life on the Lowrance?

I've read it's only about 2 to 3 hours, but I haven't personally ran it off of the battery for any length of time yet. I have a couple of Black & Decker power packs that I bought off of Woot a few months ago that have a usb charging outlet, so I thought if I need more than 2 hours or so use where I don't have 12V or 120V, I'd bring one of them along.

I had a Garmin Etrex Legend for a couple years, then a Lowrance iFinder Expedition C also for a couple years, and I don't think I ever ran off of the batteries for more than about an hour at a time. I don't think in my case the 2 hour battery limitation will be much of a problem.

If you need more than 2 or 3 hours on battery alone, then you may not be happy with the XOG.

Where can I buy the vista hcx bundle for $250?

And the best part is Cabela's is selling it for $219!!

I almost ordered mine from Cabela's or Walmart, but wound up ordering it from marine-electronics-unlimited.com (I was a little hesitant about ordering from them because of the low price, and relatively unknown, but I received it in just a couple days. I'd order from them again.) (was free shipping also).

I'm sure this forum has guidlines regarding posting pricing/vendor info... :rolleyes:

What is your experience with the battery life on the Lowrance?

I've read it's only about 2 to 3 hours, but I haven't personally ran it off of the battery for any length of time yet. I have a couple of Black & Decker power packs that I bought off of Woot a few months ago that have a usb charging outlet, so I thought if I need more than 2 hours or so use where I don't have 12V or 120V, I'd bring one of them along.

I had a Garmin Etrex Legend for a couple years, then a Lowrance iFinder Expedition C also for a couple years, and I don't think I ever ran off of the batteries for more than about an hour at a time. I don't think in my case the 2 hour battery limitation will be much of a problem.

If you need more than 2 or 3 hours on battery alone, then you may not be happy with the XOG.

I had an Ifinder and the battery life was only a couple hours. In my experience my unit was not waterproof.

Any recommendations for a GPS that can pinpoint crappie fishing beds on our local lake, give us directions to the nearest campground when we are traveling around, allow me to mark waypoints along a busy deer trail when scouting in the fall, and, yes, a unit that is portable and allows me to search for those great stashes you all have placed around the country.

Money is an issue and if I have to sacrifice some things for others, I guess those sacrifices will have to be made. If I had to choose 2 things I enjoy most they would be fishing and hunting caches.

Looking for any and all recommendations. Thanks,

PCSlayer

Garmin offers a fishing hotspots product but sadly is not applicable to the handhelds being suggested here.

But if such a product did exist - for a consumer handheld - how long would it be before all the Crappie are gone :rolleyes:

I'm an aspiring goecacher lookng for the best unit for me and the Boy Scout Troop I help lead. The Garmin Etrex "H" series is where I'm leaning, but which one is best for city/country/woods, etc?

Also, how do you experienced folks feel about trying my luck with a used unit on Ebay? Should I just stick with new?

Thanks for any and all help!