Only coordinates?

crosby7

Just wondering, I have seen a few people saying they are using only coordinates for their caching, & others sau they use "info" from the page? I have a 60csx. Is there something I could do to make it easier when caching with my kids so they do not get discouraged...(as if it has nothing to do with me...lol).

The rudest and harshest log we have ever received on any of our caches was written by someone who clearly must be a "coordinate-only" cacher. There was information on the page that could have helped him have a much better day, but he chose not to read it.

I read the pages, but when out doing 4-5 in a day, with 5 kids to wrangle all day, I forget what info I read went with what cache. I am not going to print every page & have a binder or pee-chee folder...(dating myself)

I use GSAK to load caches into my 60 CSx so they show me the cache ID, the difficulty & terrain, the size of the cache, a short version of the name, and a part of the hint. I keep all the cache info (including the last few logs) on a PDA (we use a Zire 21 and and Plam IIIxe), again using GSAK and PQs.

We read the cache page ahead of time, and usually the info on the gps is enough to tweak my memory--if not, the PDA is there to suply the other info.

I don't go to caches unless I have at least skimmed the cache page. They often contain useful --dare I say it? --even necessary information, such as times the spot is open, places to park, entry fees, safety tips, etc.

The PDA/GPS set up allows me to cache on the spur of the moment without risking not being able to find the cache because I don't have information I need. I can put 1000 caches on my GPS at a time.

There is a way to set them up as POIs (Points of interest) and have ALL the info for thousands of caches, but I don't know how to do that. It isn't quite as user friendly, from what I've read (Can't do "find next" can't mark caches "found" etc).

Just wondering, I have seen a few people saying they are using only coordinates for their caching, & others sau they use "info" from the page? I have a 60csx. Is there something I could do to make it easier when caching with my kids so they do not get discouraged...(as if it has nothing to do with me...lol).

Pick up an used PDA (about $25 from ebay) and add cachemate to it ($8). Then make use of Pocket Queries to carry all of the cache listing detail (minus pictures) with you out into the field.

I use GSAK to load caches into my 60 CSx so they show me the cache ID, the difficulty & terrain, the size of the cache, a short version of the name, and a part of the hint. I keep all the cache info (including the last few logs) on a PDA (we use a Zire 21 and and Plam IIIxe), again using GSAK and PQs.

GSAK - what is that & where can I get it...lol

Kid friendly caches.

Don't hunt anything that isn't regular. If you run out then and only then go to small. Never Micro.

Kids like swag. Kids like actually finding caches. Kids don't have the patience for needle in the haystack hides.

Where you can read the maps before you leave. A cache in a park is more fun for a kid than a cache in a dumpster but...some kids like that too, so know your kids and adjust to their own fun based on the maps.

Overall we have enjoyed reading the cache pages. Let them read them. Or look at them if they can't. If they help you pick the ones they like as the ones to go find, Then they will like them more when you to go find them.

The rudest and harshest log we have ever received on any of our caches was written by someone who clearly must be a "coordinate-only" cacher. There was information on the page that could have helped him have a much better day, but he chose not to read it.

It's unrealistic to expect that everyone is going to able to read and remember every cache page which they might activelly seek.. I just got back from a week vacation that went through four states (not including the one in which I live), and over 700 miles of travel by car. Before leaving I loaded about 650 caches in my GPS along the routes I would be taking and a few clusters in areas in which I would be spending some time. Although I have full listings for all of them in my Blackberry I certainly didn't have time to read all of them prior to visiting every cache. Failure to read the complete listing over every cache before searching for it isn't always and issue of choice as much as whether or not it's practical.

During my trip I went to search for a cache that was down a trail near a sandy beach. The trail took me out to a rocky point with an expansive view of Penobscot bay in Maine with a view of many nearby islands. After searching for the cache for awhile I check my Blackberry and read in the most recently log that the cache had gone missing (yet the cache was stiill enabled). Had I read the listing previously I probably wouldn't have walked down that trail and thus would have missed a visit to a really gorgeous spot on the Maine coast.

Chuck Norris rips out all the trees and tells you the coords of your cache.

I go paperless but I still research the cache details before hand. I like to know what I'm looking for before I set out, especially if I have the kids with me.

In fact, if I want my youngest kids to enjoy the hunt I usually find it ahead of time. That way I know it's there and don't have to bore them while I sweat trying to find it.

That's right.

i often go coordiantes-only, but i try to bear in mind that i may not have all the pertinent information.

it's like when we were kids and played marco polo but didn't "marco". it's harder that way, but it's not the fault of the people you're trying to catch.

We will be getting a PDA soon! (Physicans Desk Assistant?) But, in the meantime, we print out the pages for the caches we hope to find. And, sometimes, we have extra time on our fins. We've actually done fairly well on 'coordnate only' caches. Yes. Sometimes the hint is necessary. And sometimes not. Oh, well.

I look at it like this.

As a cache owner, I put time into:

1- Making the cache container

2- Looking for and placing said cache

3- Writing up cache page and info

If your TOO LAZY to take the time to write down or copy/print/download the info, then you deserve the pain!

That is that simple.

If I take the time to give you hints and other clues and you don't write them down, its your fault.

I love it when cachers complain. Generally you find they didn't take the time or effort to do their homework.

Its isn't my fault, its yours as the cacher!

I read the pages, but when out doing 4-5 in a day, with 5 kids to wrangle all day, I forget what info I read went with what cache. I am not going to print every page & have a binder or pee-chee folder...(dating myself)

We also have kids to wrangle, the youngest being a 2 year old.

I keep a Composite notebook with the following.

Cache name, GC#, CO's Name, COORDS,

Container type (if listed or hinted at) and then the clues if listed.

Then finally a general quick look at google map to help me with further clues.

Takes 5 lines on the notebook, can fit 4 caches per page.

Takes a few minutes and I do this ahead of time. Have several hundred listed.

I figured if the owner took the time to help me a little, I can help use out as well by using that info!

Little effort will go long in terms of helping you!

It's unrealistic to expect that everyone is going to able to read and remember every cache page which they might activelly seek..

And I certainly don't expect it. We've done some caches "blind" ourselves, if we happen to find ourselves unepexctedly near a cache that we hadn't planned on doing.

But in such a case, if we either DNF the cache, or end up taking a bad route to it, or get confused and cranky, and then we get home and read the page and can then figure out where we went wrong, our log usually consists of a virtual smack on our foreheads for it being our own fault. We don't rip the cache owner a new one based on our own lack of preparation.

All Traditional caches should be findable by only having the coordinates. No additional information should be needed (but it may be helpful). It's not uncommon for people traveling to a new area to just load up their GPS with Traditional caches.

But if you go after multis or mystery caches without the page info, there's no one to blame but yourself if you can't find them.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I look at it like this.

As a cache owner, I put time into:

1- Making the cache container

2- Looking for and placing said cache

3- Writing up cache page and info

If your TOO LAZY to take the time to write down or copy/print/download the info, then you deserve the pain!

That is that simple.

If I take the time to give you hints and other clues and you don't write them down, its your fault.

I love it when cachers complain. Generally you find they didn't take the time or effort to do their homework.

Its isn't my fault, its yours as the cacher!

I know I am sort of new to this but jeesh.....did I anywhere try to place FAULT...? Also it has nothing to do with LAZE...I TRY to do all of my caches with cords only, it seems to be a bit more "pure" that way...I was merely asking the "friendly" people in the newbie section of the forum page a good way to take all of the information you "put time into" out on the hunt with me. Sir/Madam, if you re-read the post I put time into, you will see that I WANT to use the info but am looking for an efficient way to utilize it.

"you deserve the pain!

That is that simple"

Is there a "pain free" section for cachers...that is a bit more my style...I thought we could al get along without all the Jr. High drama...

It's unrealistic to expect that everyone is going to able to read and remember every cache page which they might activelly seek.. ...

True as that is, it's also unrealistic to expect that you won't need something from the cache page either. You assume the risk of not knowing something you ought to know when you don't read the cache page.

Not really. Now if you used a sexy or pleasing avitar and wrote in an style that endears people to you; you would have the forums eating out of your hand. Some folks have a knack for that. Some are just abrasive. I tend towards the latter. Sorry about that.

No worries...most have been nice & coordial. Just trying to get info without offending anyone...lol, I tend to have thick skin...guess I had a moment of weakness..a bit in touch with my womanly side, I guess going to the Melissa Etheridge concert Friday night did me in...lol...OK, I am manned back up, Is there a Metallica show soon ?

Have a great day!

Crosby7

All Traditional caches should be findable by only having the coordinates. No additional information should be needed (but it may be helpful).

I disagree with that broad statement. In fact, I can't think of any kind of cache that should be findable by only having the coodinates. The only thing that makes a traditional a "traditional" is that it isn't another kind of hide, such as a puzzle or multi, where you would need additional sets of coords or have to solve for the coords.

Maybe I'm just having trouble with this idea because it has the words "All" and "Should" in it, and those send up flags for me. But I really think I disagree.

There are plenty of reasons you would need additional information to hunt a traditional cache--such as times the place is open to hunt the cache, information about legal parking if it isn't obvious but it matters, or instructions about places you are not allowed to go on private property near the cache. None of those keeps a cache from being a traditional, but they definitely impact a persons access to the cache area and need to be included in the information provided.

All Traditional caches should be findable by only having the coordinates. No additional information should be needed (but it may be helpful).

I disagree with that broad statement. In fact, I can't think of any kind of cache that should be findable by only having the coodinates. The only thing that makes a traditional a "traditional" is that it isn't another kind of hide, such as a puzzle or multi, where you would need additional sets of coords or have to solve for the coords.

A Traditional cache's coordinates must point to the actual cache's location. A Traditional cache can only have 1 stage, and no additional cache page information should be needed to find the cache. If, for example, a cache is locked, and the combination is on the cache page, then it should be listed as a Puzzle/Mystery type.

There are plenty of reasons you would need additional information to hunt a traditional cache--such as times the place is open to hunt the cache, information about legal parking if it isn't obvious but it matters, or instructions about places you are not allowed to go on private property near the cache. None of those keeps a cache from being a traditional, but they definitely impact a persons access to the cache area and need to be included in the information provided.

These are all things that are nice to know, but not not required to find the cache. If something does raise to the level of being required to complete the cache, then the cache type shouldn't be Traditional. For example, if searching for a cache during certain hours could get you arrested (most parks have their hours posted, so they're not an issue) then that may raise it to the level where the type needs to be changed to Mystery/Puzzle, to ensure people read the page.

It's unrealistic to expect that everyone is going to able to read and remember every cache page which they might activelly seek.. I just got back from a week vacation that went through four states (not including the one in which I live), and over 700 miles of travel by car. Before leaving I loaded about 650 caches in my GPS along the routes I would be taking and a few clusters in areas in which I would be spending some time. Although I have full listings for all of them in my Blackberry I certainly didn't have time to read all of them prior to visiting every cache. Failure to read the complete listing over every cache before searching for it isn't always and issue of choice as much as whether or not it's practical.

During my trip I went to search for a cache that was down a trail near a sandy beach. The trail took me out to a rocky point with an expansive view of Penobscot bay in Maine with a view of many nearby islands. After searching for the cache for awhile I check my Blackberry and read in the most recently log that the cache had gone missing (yet the cache was stiill enabled). Had I read the listing previously I probably wouldn't have walked down that trail and thus would have missed a visit to a really gorgeous spot on the Maine coast.

Somewhat along these veins, I cache in a similar manner. Except that I only read the description when necessary... not "for every cache page I might try to find" as you imply. I have a ton of coordinates loaded, and a palm pilot with the cache pages (minus pictures, as someone said).

I have GSAK set to load the waypoints onto my GPS such that in the cache "name", it shows the type (ie: T, O, M, etc), the waypoint name minus the "GC" (since it's needed to avoid multiple identical names in the 60Cx), and the size (ie: M, S, R, L, U). In the two lines of description that can fit in the GPS, it shows me what the last four log types were (ie: FFNF for found, found, dnf, found), the cache name (or 25 characters of it, if it's longer than that), and if there are any TBs in it from when the PQ was loaded (with a simple Y/N).

With that info, I can find most caches without additional info from the cache page. The name is typically a hint of sorts, and obviously the puzzle caches I will look at beforehand on the website. If I can't find a cache for whatever reason, THEN I pull out my palm pilot and check out the cache description, hints, and can read the last 5 cache logs entirely.

So yeah... definitely not required to read ALL cache descriptions... only as a last-resort type of thing.

Back to the OP's original question, I use EasyGPS to load caches into my GPS. After editing a couple of fields in EasyGPS to include info that I want, such as container type/size and hint, I print out that page. Everything I need on 1 sheet of paper, along with room to keep notes about what I traded or anything else pertinent to the cache for when I later log online.