Another new trackable item

As we have a thread about the Geopatches, I thought some of you might be interested to see the other new trackable items, GeoGems.

These are available as diamond, ruby, sapphire and emerald. I recently got some from the USA and we placed a sapphire Geogem into the "Wildcat" cache when we completed it a few weeks back.

More information about the Geogems can be found by clicking here.

MrsB :laughing:

My prediction is that 2009 will be the year of the "trackable everything".

However, I'd be worried about sending one of those gems out to travel, because it's not terribly obvious that it's a trackable item, especially to the cacher in a hurry. I can see plenty of them being taken by cachers as swag and ending up in a 7-year-old girl's jewel box. :laughing: Are they available in a little presentation box which could contain a note?

They are supplied in a little drawstring pouch with "Trackable GeoGem" printed on it, so I suppose one could put a small note in with them for further explanation. I'll just wait and see how the one I've released gets on in the wild... it could well languish in "Wildcat" for quite some time :laughing: . Anyway, they worked out at about £3.50 each (incl. P&P from USA) so if it disappears eventually it's not quite as bad as losing a geocoin that may have cost £6+.

MrsB

As we have a thread about the Geopatches, I thought some of you might be interested to see the other new trackable items, GeoGems.

These are available as diamond, ruby, sapphire and emerald. I recently got some from the USA and we placed a sapphire Geogem into the "Wildcat" cache when we completed it a few weeks back.

More information about the Geogems can be found by clicking here.

How big are they, please?

I saw these a while ago but the thing that put me off was that the shipping was almost as much as the item :laughing:

:laughing: Perhaps it's worth a few cachers getting together to order a few sets at a time then.

I ordered 6 x sets of 4: Including the postage from USA and the V.A.T. I had to pay on delivery, they worked out at £13 a set, which I thought was pretty good.

Could someone please confirm that the tracking number is etched into the Gem and not just printed on the bag. I can't seem to work it out from the pictures.

Have you just stumbled upon yet another trackable item to add to the rapidly expanding list ?

Geo Bags ?

;)

BTW the pictures have probably been doctored so that the code is not visible to stop people seeing the photos from logging a find. It does say "stamped" rather than "etched" though - Wonder if it might rub off ?

I've just examined one of my GeoGem diamonds which is sparkling here in the brilliant Welsh sunlight this afternoon (just thought I get that in to prove it doesn't always rain here, despite what some people think ;) ) and the tracking number is definitely etched into the surface: It actually says, "Track at geocaching.com" and has the tracking number in the centre.

MrsB

And I blew it! My first find ever, today and it had a ruby geogem on board. I panicked and didn't know what to do with it so I left it and didn't even take the tracking code.

Now I know.

Noob hangs his head in shame.

CF

Welcome to this Forum!

As you're a 'noob', you might not realise that you are allowed to go back and re-visit a cache if you want to, so you could go and get the ruby if its lure is strong enough :ph34r: . If you decide to do this, remember to log your second visit to the cache as a 'note', not a 'found it'.

Happy caching!

MrsB :unsure: