Does Wal-Mart sell magnetic key holders?

ssgeo83

I agree with all the previous posts. Putting it all together, I would suggest that you go to your local hobby store (Hobby Lobby or Michael's both are good) and buy some jewelry sized zip lock bags. You can get boxes of 100 for around $2.00, depending on the exact size you get. These hold up much better than food storage containers (are thicker and zip more times and more consistantly), cost less, and are perfect for the Hide-A-Key containers.

Edited by LifeOnEdge!

The way I am going to use mine is to let the magnet of the key holder attach to something metal under a bench. since it won't be on the ground, there is probably less chance of the log getting wet.

I found a local cache this week and the key holder was under a bench. The way the metal was shaped, the the key holder was protected from the rain. Hopefully the bench that I am thinking of placing the cache will have a similar design. I was thinking of ordering one of those geocaching bolt and nut with a magnet. However, the magnet is one of those powerful magnets and I don't want a college student to place his or her laptop on the bench and have it ruin the hard drive.

---------

note: if you guys are looking at my profile and see that I don't have any cache found listed in my profile, that is because this is not my actual geocaching account. I only use this account for the forums.

The way I am going to use mine is to let the magnet of the key holder attach to something metal under a bench. since it won't be on the ground, there is probably less chance of the log getting wet.

I found a local cache this week and the key holder was under a bench. The way the metal was shaped, the the key holder was protected from the rain. Hopefully the bench that I am thinking of placing the cache will have a similar design. I was thinking of ordering one of those geocaching bolt and nut with a magnet. However, the magnet is one of those powerful magnets and I don't want a college student to place his or her laptop on the bench and have it ruin the hard drive.

---------

note: if you guys are looking at my profile and see that I don't have any cache found listed in my profile, that is because this is not my actual geocaching account. I only use this account for the forums.

It would have to be one huge magnet to ruin a laptop hard drive.

I work in the IT field and I've even tried using a bulk tape eraser to wipe hard drives - it doesn't work.

A mico cache type magnet won't harm a hard drive.

I guess if you took the hard drive out of the laptop and placed the earth magnet right over the actuator arm, it Might do something.... :huh:

---------

I work in the IT field and I've even tried using a bulk tape eraser to wipe hard drives - it doesn't work.

I guess if you took the hard drive out of the laptop and placed the earth magnet right over the actuator arm, it Might do something.... :huh:

It is a Neodymium magnet:

http://www.mygeocachingstore.com/magnets.htm

http://www.mygeocachingstore.com/microbolt.htm

---------

It is a Neodymium magnet:

http://www.mygeocachingstore.com/magnets.htm

http://www.mygeocachingstore.com/microbolt.htm

No worries:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/116572/bust...t_pc_myths.html

...since it won't be on the ground, there is probably less chance of the log getting wet.

I think you forgot about the rain aspect.

These are lousy cache containers. Unless you are totally into the idea of visiting it every few weeks to

replace your water soaked log, try something else.

...since it won't be on the ground, there is probably less chance of the log getting wet.

These are lousy cache containers. Unless you are totally into the idea of visiting it every few weeks to

Do you have any suggestions on a similar size or smaller magnetic container? Something that would fit under a bench?

Do you have any suggestions on a similar size or smaller magnetic container? Something that would fit under a bench?

How about the same trip to Walmart, but in the sportings goods department, and get you a Waterproof Match Container? These are bright orange, plastic, and cost about $1 after tax. Attach two size-appropriate, rare earth magnets on the side. Paint them with plastic primer and then a good, dark color. And then print out the widest log you can for the container. You'll have almost exactly what you need for this bench.

Let me know how this works if you do go this route. - Pat

Try a waterproof matchbox or an EZ Dose pill container (available at many pharmacies or online), use Gorilla glue to attach a rare earth magnet to the side and cover with a bit of duct tape to make it even more secure.

EZ Dose with magnet

1fd40ced-6da4-4db9-a77a-107eed637b5b.jpg

d1a11e03-33a7-489f-9e9b-72b043a3c97d.jpg

If you must use a magnetic keyholder, please don't buy it at Walmart! Our local Walmart has the cheapest, most ill-constructed MKH's imaginable. The magnet will fall off the container after the first couple of finders. We had to reglue the magnets on all of ours. NAPA or Harbor Frieght has better MKH's. But the waterproof match holder with magents is a much better idea.

I agree with all the previous posts. Putting it all together, I would suggest that you go to your local hobby store (Hobby Lobby or Michael's both are good) and buy some jewelry sized zip lock bags. You can get boxes of 100 for around $2.00, depending on the exact size you get. These hold up much better than food storage containers (are thicker and zip more times and more consistantly), cost less, and are perfect for the Hide-A-Key containers.

why? While in WM to buy the key holder go to the crafts section and buy the plastic bags for a buck.

Jim

Only in this forum can a simple yes/no answer be dragged out this long.

Ha! If you think this is long, try the "can you bring alcohol on 'such-and-such' cruise ship" on the Cruise Critic boards. Those go on for pages, and when they are a bit out of sight, another stooge asks the same question again.

So, can you?

How about geocaching on board? Can you place one cache on board ship and then list it as a new cache at each and every port of call? You could use a magnetic key hide.(trying to stay on topic)

Yes, Wal*Mart sells key hiders. How about scuba-ing out to the cruise ship while it's in harbor and attach a key holder to the hull? Be sure to use the swiming, wading scuba and boat attribute icons...Try to get it as deep as you can--do you think the log will stay dry? Will the water movement dislodge the magnet??? :D

Yes, Wal*Mart sells key hiders. How about scuba-ing out to the cruise ship while it's in harbor and attach a key holder to the hull? Be sure to use the swiming, wading scuba and boat attribute icons...Try to get it as deep as you can--do you think the log will stay dry? Will the water movement dislodge the magnet???

What if the ship's main computer is on the other side of the hull from the magnet? Wouldn't that ruin the hard drive?

OMG Brian, is your micro hidden on the side of a CAR?!?!? ;)

Are moving caches allowed again? :P

What you don't see in the picture is that the car is parked in a Wal-Mart parking lot right beside a lamp post.

So far the cache has been found twice and had 38 DNFs.

Both finds were logged from the same account -- one for the cache, and one for the reflection of the cache they found on the car door (visible in the picture).

I am wanting to purchase a magnetic key holder like the one below so that I could use it as a cache container. If you have used this, does Wal-Mart sell it?

I have seen them for sale at my local Ace Hardware store.

Btw, I retrieved one of these recently that a cacher had placed but never submitted as a cache. It had been stuck to a guardrail in Boston for a year. The inside was perfectly dry. So, at least some of them are fairly waterproof.

There is a new printable magnetic material that you can run through your printer that you could try. I've seen logs taped/glued to one side and the other side printed/painted to match the surface it will be adhered to.

I am wanting to purchase a magnetic key holder like the one below so that I could use it as a cache container. If you have used this, does Wal-Mart sell it?

pACE-986179dt.jpg

Wait...this was a real question? Why Walmart? You MUST explain to all of us who are wondering. Why not...RiteAid, Safeway, BiMart, any hardward store, or key guy?