GONE 4

weathernowcast

GONE 4

Please join us again for GONE 4.

Camping Event: Friday PM, 9/12/08,through Sunday, 9/14/08

Day Event: Saturday, September 13th, for those who do not want to camp!

Activites: Geocaching, camping, playing GPS games, participating in fun activities, finding event caches, fishing (with NJ license), boating, hiking, dining, gathering around the council campfire and sharing caching stories with fellow geocachers.

Many new caches will be placed in the area for you number hounds.

Visit: GONE 4

Weathernowcast

NNJC Vice President

When will the activities begin on Friday night? I'm shoehorning an extra event into that weekend by going to CaptainMath's Tri-State Event, and will probably make it back around 8-9pm. Should I park below the main lot and bring my bear suit? :unsure:

Please attend both events but wear your bear suite when you check in at Glen Grey! No guns are allowed so you will not get shot!

falls.jpg

Just reserve your tent spot with Camp Glen Grey for Friday and Saturday night.

Camp Glen Grey

Camp Glen Gray is an overnight camping and hiking facility located on the border of Oakland and Mahwah in New Jersey's Bergen County, just off State Routes 202 and 208 and Interstate Route 287. Originally developed as a Boy Scout camp in 1917 it is named after one of its founders, Frank F. Gray.

In January of 2002 camp took on a new role. The 750 wooded acres of the Ramapo Mountains became part of Bergen County's park system. Nestled among thousand's of acres of county and state park lands, there's never a lack of things to do and see. Besides hiking trails, there is a lake to fish in (16 years old and over requires a NJ Fishing License). Rent a boat and explore the lake. Cabins, lean-tos and tent sites make wonderful places in which to camp, and there's lots of wonderful scenery to enjoy. A sports field, campfire ring and an amphitheater provide places to hold outdoor events. A Dining Hall (with a kitchen) may be used for indoor events and meals. Bathroom facilities at campsites consist of latrines in keeping with the camp's rustic mode. Flush toilets (in warm weather) are located off the parking lot.

In the winter, wood stoves in the cabins will keep you warm. Many of the cabins also have electricity. In warmer weather, play sports and games in Mary Post field.

The camp is managed by the Friends of Glen Gray for the Bergen County Department of Parks.

If anyone wants to attend but doesn't want to sleep on the ground, I've reserved the Explorer Cabin. It has bunks, water, electricity and a stove. Just bring a sleeping bag or blankets. If I can get just three more people the cost will be only $9 per night. Let me know if you're interested.

Come on out to Camp Glen Gray for lots of Indiana Jones fun 9/13/08. Search the mountains for the Holy grail, Arc of the Covenant, Sankara stones and Crystal Skull artifacts. Then find Indy who hiding with a map and clues to the final treasure! There will be group hikes, food, raffle, t-shirts and trackable Indy geocoins, a camp fire, and a cool night hike. Everyone is welcome, bring a non cacher and let them experience the geocaching fun. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Old Navy - President NNJC

Edited by Old Navy

I just placed six new caches around Camp Glen Grey.

Two of them will be a long hike but the views will be worth the effort. Come on Friday, or sty late on Sunday to take advantage of the new caches or pick them up while completing the event caches!

You mean I missed a view in the area? B)

Two of them will be a long hike but the views will be worth the effort. Come on Friday, or stay late on Sunday to take advantage of the new caches or pick them up while completing the event caches!

actually three!

I am placing two more to make a compelte loop as a compendium to your famous kiker series.

Two of them will be a long hike but the views will be worth the effort. Come on Friday, or stay late on Sunday to take advantage of the new caches or pick them up while completing the event caches!

actually three!

I am placing two more to make a compelte loop as a compendium to your famous kiker series.

Could someone with knowledge of this place please PM me? I have a few questions. My questions are simple, but would rather not display my ignorance of these events LMAO :):)

I'm not afraid to expose my ignorance :) Questions: Parking by the lake is pretty sparse, what other parking will be available for Saturday Only Cachers? Rain or shine event?

Boating question, can one bring their own and if so how would you get it to the lake?

jc, I was a day visitor last year and had to park outside the camp and walk in.

Well now THERE's a good question. Geocaching has taken away my kayaking time. This may sound corney but are there coords for a put-in?

Boating question, can one bring their own and if so how would you get it to the lake?

jc, I was a day visitor last year and had to park outside the camp and walk in.

Well now THERE's a good question. Geocaching has taken away my kayaking time. This may sound corney but are there coords for a put-in?

I would guess you could put in anywhere along the shore, its not a big lake, but you have to carry your kayak uphill. I'd ask Glen Gray though if it's OK before bringing it.

By the way, why not combine paddling and geocaching? Splitrock Reservoir has a bunch of paddle to caches.

Monksville has a few (I have a few more planned for Monksville).

Wawayanda has a really nice multi stage paddle cache.

There are a few paddle or walk tos on Green Turtle Pond.

The Downstream/Upstream cache in Pequannock can be paddled to.

Here is a bookmark list of paddle caches

Edited by briansnat

Right Lake Vreeland is the Glen Gray lake and it is not that big.

But there is a landing as you come into Glen Gray, just over the steel grate bridge to the left for parking and you can put in for the Ramapo River, depending on rain it can run high or low. at this time of year you will find it on the low side, but there has been a lot of rain lately. Paddling the Small Rivers of New Jersey may feature this river. Garden State Canoeing I am sure has something on it.

You may wish to partake of Monksville and Green Turtle Pond, as the closest and most pleasant paddling venues to Glen Gray. (I always wanted to use paddling venues in a sentence)

Splitrock and Wawayanda are further away, both are wonderful, but I have experienced wind issues every single time I have been .

Anyone interested in doing a through hike tomorrow starting at around 4:30 or so? The following would be the plan:

1. [sTART] End of Cannonball Road (Near GC186X9)

2. GC185GK

3. GC1DV2J

4. GC185GF

5. GC19FAN

6. GC18FZK

7. GC185G6

8. GC185Fz

9. [END] END of Back Bch (N 41° 02.081 W 074° 17.135)

Essentially hiking along the Wannaque Ridge Trail for the most part.

Of course, there are a few more caches along the way which I have already found but would have no reservations in being a guide :(

Edited by polskikrol

What is the over ground distance , and projected time .

Looking at Google Maps the total distance would be around 2-3 miles one way. I would recommend meeting at the [END] location on the south side and then take one car to the [sTART] location on the north side. Dont have the latest of trail maps (missing Wanaque Ridge Trail) but we would start by taking MacEvoy (Blue Trail) which hits Wanaque Ridge Trail around the Pipe Line if I remember correctly.

Total time would be 2 hours but I would add another 1-2 for the caches, which is why a throughhike is suggested. If camping we would want to ensure we arrive at the campsite before 10PM.

PK

Edited by polskikrol

On another note, anyone planing or wanting to do a hike around Ramapo Lake to hit up the All for One or One for All caches? Ill admit I dont have the answers but would love to help work on them tonight or tomorrow night at the campsite :blink:

I'll go with you on that one if you push it to Saturday or Sunday, depending on what the NNJC PTB have planned as day activities. I'll be at GONE Friday evening, but I'm going to TSMGE in Pennsylvania first and will probably be cutting the 10pm curfew a little close.

It was great seeing everyone on Saturday afternoon /evening. I was sorry I couldn't make it for the day, but it looked like a great well-organized event. Here are some of the pictures I took.

Boating on Lake Vreeland:

P9135193.JPG

We kept off!

P9135194.JPG

Near GC15DY5 "Tulip Leaf" Cache:

P9135204p.jpg

The view from GC1FGAG "R-R Trail View" cache:

P9135201.JPG

Making 'smores around the camp fire:

P9135202p.jpg

P9135204p.jpg

Paul