Need ideas for a tubular cache container

I'm constructing a unique cache and my general container will not be waterproof. I originally thought I'd drop an ammo can inside of it, but I'd really prefer to go with something bigger. The outside container is large cylinder - approximately 9" diameter and 2' long.

Does anyone have any suggestions of something I could place inside of this that would be suitable?

Does anyone have any suggestions of something I could place inside of this that would be suitable?
You do have a pretty broad selection of Tupperware and Lock-n-Lock sizes and shapes as stated by wesleykey. There are also military ammo holders (like for rockets) like THESE that are 13cm diameter X 26cm long (apx 5" diameter X 14" long). But I am sure if you search around you can find other sizes.

Look for welding rod containers. Stop by a welding shop and ask they'll save you some.

Paintball storage containers are pretty decent. Don't buy the off brands though as the lids don't seal well.

Edited by 9Key

I hope I understood your post - you already have a container (correct?) and you want to put the cache inside the econtainer? Can you post a picture. I have some ideas...........just need some visual clues

I have a very unique container which is why I'm being a bit vague on that part. If you picture a 9" x 3' piece of pvc pipe, you'll have a fairly accurate idea of it.

However, it doesn't have a lid and I won't be able to make it waterproof, so I wouldn't leave the cache contents in this container (even in ziplock bags). So, what I'm trying to do is insert the "real" cache container inside this shell.

My biggest challenge has been finding something that's big enough instead of just having a little cache rattling around inside this giant piece of camouflage.

To give everyone some better perspective, I managed to take a picture that shouldn't give away my camo job.

cache_002.jpg

Just for sizing, that's a 30 cal ammo can in the very bottom of my container. As you can see, I need something fairly wide, and as DEEP as I can get it.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far.

cut a chunk of plywood just a bit smaller than the inner diameter of the pipe and wrap the edge with an innertube so there is a slight friction fit - a custom plug so to say. This in turn will allow you to "add" other accessories to get your desired result.

doh - I replied to your pm before I read the thread ;)

Just for sizing, that's a 30 cal ammo can in the very bottom of my container. As you can see, I need something fairly wide, and as DEEP as I can get it. Thanks for all of the suggestions so far.
Another potential solution.... go to Lowe's or Home Depot and snag a piece of 4" or larger PVC pipe. Then glue on an plug end cap and on the other end put a female threaded cap with the big threaded plug like this :

top_cap.jpg

This way you can find the PVC pipe that best fits inside the camo, cut the pipe to the length you need and custom make it and cachers can just unscrew the end (might add something light glue on a bar for a handle to make the plug easier to unscrew as some people might tighten it tighter then others)

You say the outer container isn't waterproof. Is it possible it's going to fill up with water, or just have water flow through?

It's not going to be buried is it? :D

I'm going to test it out, but I'm pretty sure that my lid won't allow a lot of water in (no filling up), but I don't trust it to stay dry enough for the contents. If it looks like it's going to hold more water than I'm thinking, then I'll create some drain holes.

You can't bury caches?? ;)

No, this one will actually be hanging, so that's why I don't want to get too heavy with it.

Just for sizing, that's a 30 cal ammo can in the very bottom of my container. As you can see, I need something fairly wide, and as DEEP as I can get it. Thanks for all of the suggestions so far.
Another potential solution.... go to Lowe's or Home Depot and snag a piece of 4" or larger PVC pipe. Then glue on an plug end cap and on the other end put a female threaded cap with the big threaded plug like this :

This way you can find the PVC pipe that best fits inside the camo, cut the pipe to the length you need and custom make it and cachers can just unscrew the end (might add something light glue on a bar for a handle to make the plug easier to unscrew as some people might tighten it tighter then others)

I'd thought about this potential, but I can't find a pipe wide enough for I want. Really, I'd like to get something more in the 8-9" diameter range. And I really worry about people overtightening.

I'm going to make a pass through the home improvement stores to see if I can find a suitable bucket. A 5 gallon is going to be too wide, but I hope I can find another alternative.

If nothing else, I know that I can use my ammo can. I'd just prefer to have something bigger if I can make it work and know that it'll last for the long haul.

If nothing else, I know that I can use my ammo can. I'd just prefer to have something bigger if I can make it work and know that it'll last for the long haul.
If hanging and you want it light, I'd avoid the ammo can if you can.... that coming down by accident could do some damage. We have a local cache that's actually a 5-gallon bucket waaaaaay up in a tree and it's using camo rope thru a pulley system to let it down, can't put weight like that just in a rope over a tree branch, would cut in too fast and jam.

Here's another alternative and you can probably call these folks up and request a "sample" for something you're working on. Although not with these people direct, we do that all the time ;)

http://www.cleartecpackaging.com/cleartec-catalog-2007.pdf

Good luck!!!