What annoys you?

CapeDoc

Having read a different thread, and from chatting to other cachers, it appears we all have little things that annoy us about geocaching. What annoys you? What are your bugbears?

Here is a chance to vent. Lets keep it clean, no finger pointing, nothing hurtfull.

To get the ball rolling...

As a cache owner I get annoyed by logs which show no appreciation for the cache at all. After all, I hid the cache to share something. I would love to hear what you think (even negative thoughts). Telling me it was an easy find really means nothing to me.

So what annoys you?

OK - I will respond. :D

I have a couple of things on my agenda. :)

1. Cache owners who do not maintain caches despite being made aware of maintenance issues.

2. Cachers who sit on TB's for months on end and don't reply to e-mail requests.

3. I agree with you CapeDoc - Logs that consist of TFTC SL - at least write SOMETHING about the cache.

Get it off your chest - here is the opportunity! :(

OK - I will respond. :D

I have a couple of things on my agenda. :)

1. Cache owners who do not maintain caches despite being made aware of maintenance issues.

2. Cachers who sit on TB's for months on end and don't reply to e-mail requests.

3. I agree with you CapeDoc - Logs that consist of TFTC SL - at least write SOMETHING about the cache.

Get it off your chest - here is the opportunity! :(

I have sent an email to a cacher with one of my bugs, no reply!

I feel your pain!

Edited by CapeDoc

How about caches that are in really shoddy areas (not necessarily an original fault of the owner) but the area has deteriorated (human excreta, muggles dumping sites etc.) - and the owner does not move or archive the cache.

Coins and TB's goign missing.

Having my caches muggled.

Getting to a 1/1 or "roadside" cache and finding that I need a good 30 min of a walk in a park or hiking trail - or clamber through blackjacks/brambles to get the container.

Micros when a small with tradables would be possible.

Wet logs.

Caches (especially micros) in high muggle areas that make you feel like a crook if you look for them. Especially if they are muggles doing ther job, like shop assistants and security guards - they are meant to look for suspicious activity, and there is nothing more suspicious looking to a security person than caching.

Edited by the pooks

Try a micro up a mountain. LOL. No really there is nothing wrong with that once you have seen the view.

What bugs me is when i drive 100's of kilos to find that someone else drove hundreds of kilos to FTF before me.... LOL.

Alas I did roughly a 2400km round trip and managed to hit 2 FTF's in the EC i must really have bugged some people down there as they were basically breathing down my neck on the finds.

Plastic bags full of mud water and a cache container. I am moving away from that with my caches from now on.

Caches (especially micros) in high muggle areas that make you feel like a crook if you look for them. Especially if they are muggles doing ther job, like shop assistants and security guards - they are meant to look for suspicious activity, and there is nothing more suspicious looking to a security person than caching.

Your avatar!!!!!! It's bad enough that my own cat likes to show me that "View", but then I have to come to the forums and see it also :(

Seriously, if you want me to photoshop out the offending pixels, let me know... It would be my pleasure.

There is just one thing that annoys me. If I visit a cache and I notice a problem I normally inform the owner about this via e-mail or I log it. I normally add this to my watch list and I do watch the listing every day to see if something is done. In most cases the owner is no longer logging onto the website for very long periods. I can understand short periods but not more than 3 months.

The other thing that annoys me is to get to a location and to find some caching stuff at the location – I always have the struggle - is this is a muggled cache or a remains of the previous muggled cache. At one of the caches I even found a calling card in a empty container – is this the cache or not?

The other bummer but it adds a little spice is to rush out to a new cache – just to find that another person found it about 6 days prior but never logged it. Unsafe caches or unsafe location with no warning of such on the listing is not nice.

The other thing that annoyed me with my last trip in Gauteng is the micros that I tried to find and then I find a regular container in its place. It does confuse me – is this the correct cache or did I manage to mix my listings. At one of the caches on the west I had to walk 600 meters to find the cache for a rating of 1.

But this is life – if everything went well for everybody for every day of the week it will be pretty boring.

The one other personal thing that bothers me is that I sometimes cache alone and if you see something nice then there is no one to share it with. Photos is not the same. But commitments are commitments and priorities are priorities and meat must get on the table.

Yes, I forgot – blackjacks is on my list. They now started to grow at my house – not nice.

Gerhard

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa

Try a micro up a mountain. LOL. No really there is nothing wrong with that once you have seen the view.

..cut..

Alas I did roughly a 2400km round trip and managed to hit 2 FTF's in the EC i must really have bugged some people down there as they were basically breathing down my neck on the finds.

Livng 15km from a cache, and having to play second fiddle for a FTF to a fellow cacher who had to do a 2400km round trip!!! :(:)

I second that micro up the mountain thing. I don't mind micro's a such, if they are appropiate for the location and well though out.

I have hidden a mico up a mountain. Fortumatly it went missing before it was found! Although it is a high muggle area I have now seriously learnt my lesson and it will be replaced with a small cache!

(Having a good moan may do unexpected good...)

Goody, I found a home for them. Blackjack Bailey – I am sending it to your home via express. I think they will get all the tender love and care that side. Maybe I could plant them at your caches - special import from Gauteng – exotic flowers. The cachers will definitely remember my name for a very long time. :D

You still remember Aunt Edna visiting the houses. Every time I see a blackjack it reminds me of this program – heavens know why?

Me and the blackjacks hunting…., wait a minute who hunted who. :)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...0f-b619e95cb8be

Gerhard

Livng 15km from a cache, and having to play second fiddle for a FTF to a fellow cacher who had to do a 2400km round trip!!! :(:D

You win some you loose some... Sorry buddy. I gave you two days on it too.... If you don't go for it you might loose it. I missed out on two in my area to FTF's just this week.... aaargh.

I will always be annoyed by what I find in caches. I look at the demographic of the people who can afford a GPS. Can all you afford to put in a cache is something between junk and 1R or 2R? I don't take the "but I have found 1000 caches" as an excuse. You can always trade nothing!

Whatever happened to trading up?

(I am sure this must have been discussed to death prior to me reading the forums)

You can always spot a Newbie because they trade such interesting items. Sad that.

If I remember, geocaching guidelines give a figure of a few dollars worth?

I suppose that also really annoys me:

Fill a cache with nice goodies and it gets muggled!

I also get slightly annoyed when I fill a cache with nice goodies and the first few people to find don't trade! (I suppose they are the nice ones who trade nothing because they don't want to trade down!)

Edited by CapeDoc

I am from SA but have only cached in the uk and I'm not sure if this happens there but sometimes caches can be placed in not nice areas :laughing: with lots of rubbish about here. The worst part is when you go to a place like that and the cache is a horrid little container that is all mank and wet inside with stuff crawling all over it in the bag its been in.

To be honest I've found very few like that but thats one of the things that anoys me :P

I am from SA but have only cached in the uk and I'm not sure if this happens there but sometimes caches can be placed in not nice areas :laughing: with lots of rubbish about here. The worst part is when you go to a place like that and the cache is a horrid little container that is all mank and wet inside with stuff crawling all over it in the bag its been in.

To be honest I've found very few like that but thats one of the things that anoys me :P

I have just posted a new topic for discussion regarding the placement of caches (or caching ethos) then read this thread. It will be interesting to see the thoughts of others in this regard.

Hey Guys

I'm new to this but wouldn't it be good to add a few more things to the caches which look empty or have nothing that could be of any use to people or kids. Most of my finds have been for the kids and ...lets face it...even a little toy figure is better than a parking ticket! When we find something, it's usually the little ones who are extremely excited about the actual container whereas us older folk are happy with racking up finds or just finding it. I guess most f us are guilty of one gripe or another but if we try keep these aspects in mind when going out, they'd obviously help the sport all round.

I find it very amusing how obsessed people get with FTF's.......I actually didn't know it was anything important until someone complained that I was cheating people out of FTF's :P

In our area, people would go to extreme lengths to get the FTF on a cache, but then no-one bothers to find it for weeks or months, as if to say that it's FTF or nothing.

I also go for FTF's on easy caches, purely because I've found everything within 100km of my house that isn't difficult to get to, and every new cache gets me excited to see where it will take me.

I like trading items. True I don't always trade up, there are times that I take something from a cache, that is worth 100 times less, then the item I leave behind. So all in all, the caches on average are better off.

Wet Logs?

I love them as well.

The ones that are damp, can still take my sticker.

I think logs that have been damp, and the text and or colours have flowed a bit, have lots of character, like wrinkles on a person.

If the log is to wet, then I will replace it with one of my spare logs I have with me, and then "keep" the wet log after drying it at home. It goes with all the other items into the "We have Found" box.

What do you guys do with the items you trade in caches?

The muggle who will not move away from the hiding place where the cache is.... give up come back later to find he has gone and another has just sat down there.... aaaargh.

Or amorous couples making out right next to the hiding place. Could always tell them that the hidden camera is not getting a good view of them and you came to adjust it... LOL.

We found a couple of caches that desperately needed some maintenance - we did what we could in the field but they needed more than just field maintenance. I contacted the cache owner to offer an adoption as according to his profile he longer lived near enough to readily maintain them... I am still waiting for him to reply to me, despite my sending a second mail - it's a shame really as the locations are worthy IMO.

Also ppl who pick up trackables, don't place them and refuse to reply to emails to discuss why they have not yet placed them (one of my trackables has been in someone's paw since the end of March :ph34r: and no response has been forthcoming).

Maybe get in contact with other cachers in the same area that might know the cacher. They may be able to get hold of them for you. You never know what might have happened to the cacher, i read somewhere that there was a guy involved in a serious car accident and he was hospitalised for a few weeks. About two years down the line he was looking for something in his garage and came across his caching swag bag that one of his friends had removed from the car after the accident. He found a TB inside and realised that this TB was one he had picked up but never logged the find due to the accident. He contacted the owner and put it back out in the field for him. So don't give up hope, the TB might just be in a situation at the moment, hopefully not a serious one.Anyway, put a TB out with a pinch of salt cause they are out in a big wide world full of muggles. Just have to hope that it is safe in it's travels.

Maybe get in contact with other cachers in the same area that might know the cacher.

Thanks Wazat - I did think of that and waited a couple months before I emailed. It might be worth seeing if nearby cachers may know him, I didn't try that. I am still hopeful that it may resurface and have logged as such on the trackables page.

A different topic but I do only release the coins I wouldn't be too upset about losing permanently out in the wild! The rest of my collection is available for discovery. :ph34r:

I hate it that, after you log your find / did not find wherein you say that the cache needs maintenance or that the cache was muggled, the owner still do nothing and the cache still stay listed. If he doesn't want to do maintenance or replacing the cache, why don't he then archive the cache. Another cacher can then place a new cache there if it is a nice caching place.

Going to a beautiful part of the country and finding the first log in the book stating: "FTF. We were the first to find" - !!! - no thank you, nothing! Did you not look around you, take in the importance or the beauty of the site? What a shame that this was lost on you.

Edited by cownchicken

I just discovered another thing that annoys me. I found 4 lighters inside caches in the Western Province. Somewhere there is a cacher that does not understand the danger of this little thing and what effect it can have.

I have seen a photo of a welder that had one in his pocket while welding. It blow his chest open and he died. Cache containers are closed and heat is building up fast inside this little space. It is scary to hold this little thing in your hand and you feel the heat on it. To found one was not funny but to found more had me jumping up and down.

Cachers (especially in groups) not taking the prescribed precautions when finding a very exposed cache. If you can see it and know people are watching you - just walk away and don't let it be the next cachers or owners problem. I know this is a bit harsh but we have seen this happen a few times.

I hate it that, after you log your find / did not find wherein you say that the cache needs maintenance or that the cache was muggled, the owner still do nothing and the cache still stay listed. If he doesn't want to do maintenance or replacing the cache, why don't he then archive the cache. Another cacher can then place a new cache there if it is a nice caching place.

Well this point is relative. If someone logs a "needs maintenance" as the log book is wet, and the owner cant get to the cache area for a while, there is no point in disabling the cache until there is a dry logbook.

In fact, i have seen this done before, and this actually pissed me off no end, as I now did not go and find the cache thinking it was gone, when really all it had was a wet logbook.

Would you rather not find a cache, or find a cache in a wonderful area, having had a superb stroll and magnificent views, with just a slightly wet log book to subract from the joy of the cache?

Maybe get in contact with other cachers in the same area that might know the cacher.

Thanks for this little tip. I tried it and the friend confirmed that the holder of my TB still had it (and was feeling guilty for keeping it so long). The friend offered to hide it if nothing happens in a week or 2. Hopefully it will get moving again! :blink: Thanks Wazat!

heres what annoys me!!!!!!!!!

been told you may not attend an event cache, im actually flabbergasted, ive now emailed the guy to ask him what it is exactly that he alleges we did.

Hi batsgonemad and his squirrel,

Recently you indicated an intention to attend my "Mourne Rambler" event.

Unfortunately, after "The Glensman", I received a number of complaints about your behaviour. It is my opinion that your presence at "Mourne Rambler" would therefore be disruptive.

I also consider your behaviour to represent an unacceptable risk to the health, safety and well-being of others - particularly important in an area like the Mournes.

You will therefore, with regret, NOT be allowed to attend "Mourne Rambler".

Your "Will Attend" log has therefore been deleted.

Regards, Kagemu

WOW Bats!! I find this one hard to believe. Who would announce in their Event description that the event is open to ALL cachers and then promptly ban you? :):) I can assure you that I would not take something like this lying down - not at all. Please keep us posted on the developments as they unfold. I trust that you WILL be attending the Event as well - how can he actually stop you?

Good luck.

Wow, this is bad that someone can get ban from an event. This is a new one. I would like to see the end of this one. ;)

Events are legally open to all and most are in public areas and published on the web for all to see – it is not exclusive but inclusive. I will never again complain about a wet log, a lighter in a cache, waypoint out by at least 10 meters or a micro between hundreds of rocks – this one with the kick in the family jewels does gave a new meaning to the word rude and annoying. This must be number 1 on the list.

Keep us posted about this one, this should be interesting.

Gerhard

This event is about meeting other geocachers and enjoying their company on a walk through some of the most beautiful scenery Northern Ireland has to offer at a pace which everyone can enjoy. I have tried to cater for a range of fitness levels, ages and abilities and provide a simple, straightforward introduction to hillwalking.

Hillwalking is not an essential requirement of the event however and geocachers who want to come along later in the day and join us at the evening venue are more than welcome.

The event is open to ALL geocachers, their family and friends.

This event is NOT about pushing people beyond their limit.

It is NOT EVEN about finding out where that limit is.

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa

Hey chaps here is the latest, he now claims that he saw me act in what ever manor he thinks i did, so im going to mail him and ask him now what exactly it is i did, stay tuned.

Hi batsgonemad,

I have made no allegations, I have stated facts.

I consider YOUR behaviour (and YOU are only reinforcing that opinion) to be prejudicial to the health, safety and well-being of other people.

The complaints I received from other people were made in confidence and I will not breach that confidence. If, as you state, you were in the South African Police Force, you should understand confidentiality. I also witnessed the said behaviour myself so I know that YOU DID ACT IN AN ENTIRELY IRRESPONSIBLE MANNER.

It is MY event and I make the decisions. In my opinion, you are a disruptive element and represent too great a risk to the health, safety and well-being of other people and that is something which I will not compromise on.

For that reason, and that reason alone, you WILL NOT be allowed to attend "Mourne Rambler".

Should you try to attend or disrupt the event in any way, appropriate steps will be taken to have you removed.

Something that annoys us, is when we find valuables or money in caches! On the weekend we found a cache with 2 x R5 coins in it. The cache was also visible from the outside, in a very busy muggle area! It was just BEGGING to be muggled and of course spoil the fun for proper geocachers. We did notice that the previous few cachers were all newbies.

That brings us to another bug bear. We wish that newbies would research and read the rules with regards to the geocaching sport BEFORE attempting to find caches! There is a lot of information on the website, but it seems that they just don't bother. Then they remove TBs and GCs without logging them properly or they don't understand about covering the cache again after logging, etc. Very frustrating.

wrt Batsgonemad....WOW...can't imagine how you could be a health risk and all the other allegations. What a weirdo to think up such things. He is obviously anti-South African....I wonder how he would remove you from the event if you dared to show up? Could you attend in dress up/mask so that he doesn't recognise you? I just can't believe it! Do keep us posted.

Wow, beam me up Scotty. Maybe you met the owner of Ireland. For those interested in this topic the relevant material is included. This is a very interested case study. The event owner is very keen to use force to remove the cacher from the event. To me this is assault if he touch you. He must feel very strong and must have a very good reason to go to such extremes. Wow, this is tough. This is not good vibrations. What is next – ban you from finding caches in Ireland? Or a cock fight at one of the caches. This is not nice for a family event.

This must leave a very bad feeling and if one does not resolve this then it will grow. I belief that a reconciliation meeting or attempt must be done via a third party who have no interest in this incident; this is one of those rare cases where you will not be able to resolve this on your own. He will defend his point and you will be in the dark. Confidentiality is good but if it start to hit the lows then it must be resolved. It could be that a certain cacher have his knife in for you for some reason. Maybe you rate of caching is too good, maybe you had a difference of opinion, maybe you are getting the FTF before him. It is also a concerned that he mentioned that he knows that you are a South African. This could be the real reason. For this you will need to have a third party and I also believe that the event must be archived via geocaching.com until the cachers have resolved their differences. This is against the good will of the event and only geocaching have the authority to halt it. This is the actions that I will follow. This is however my opinion and maybe this is wrong.

1. Try to resolve this issue with the owner.

2. If not successful then official complaint to geocaching.com.

3. Event to be archived until resolution is found.

4. Both parties informed and given 7 days to explain their position.

5. Respond to both parties and try to determine the reasons and validity for the banning.

6. Negotiating the mitigating factors and reasons with both cachers.

7. Final resolution.

8. Event enabled.

I hope you can resolve this with the owner. The owner have 399 caches to his name and maybe he is lacking the skills to deal and to understand the rules. If there is a issue then he should be willing to give you the details – if not he leaves you with a situation that have no answer and no action to correct.

Good luck

Gerhard

Will attend.

Sam and I will defiantly be there but will be really fashionably late and will be there for the evening bash till we are thrown out. I work Saturdays and finish at 16:00 and we normally out of the venue by 17:00. So depending on where i'm working will determine how fashionably late we arrive, or as fast as my little Berlingo will go.

About time the chaps up north start having a few event's so we can get to know each other.

Cacher remarks after attending the event.

Finally arrived at the venue, after having left late from work, how frustrating it was, been indoors and it was very hot where i was so not really comfortable, while all you good people were out finding plastic containers. As we approached the venue we caught a glimpse down the valley and i was awe struck by the beauty of the area. Ive read alot about places to see and things to do since we arrived here and i wonder how i missed finding out about this hidden gem. I was sad to have missed the whole day as it seems from the logs that it was a great day out. Those that we did meet at the end of the event was great, the cake was yummy(i just found out from Sam now that she did not bring cake home and i thought she did, bummer). Kagemu a great event guy lots of effort 5 stars for you. Can we look forward to another next year maybe-hint hint.

Owner remarks after event (Only part)

Thanks to team Swift for coming along to Waterfoot (I've really enjoyed doing your caches in the past and it was good to see you making it along to one of mine).

Thanks to batsgonemad and his squirrel for being "really fashionably late" but coming along nonetheless.

Thanks to Jingwe and KellyKitty and "the sproggs" for attending and being so enthusiastic and supportive throughout the day.

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa

If one has a problem such as this and you are stuck then desperate times calls for desperate measures. Or else this will bug you for a very long time and it will not end.

Maybe the next step is then to e-mail all the cachers that have attended the event and request them if they have any problem with you or your behaviour and that you would like to resolve the issue with them if there is any. You only need to draft one e-mail and off it go to all cachers.

Ok, if more than 2 cachers respond with negative remarks then I will let it die quickly. Listen to the reasons take it full in the face and into the family jewels and learn something.

If no response is given or all is positive feedback from the other cachers then you have some proof and I believe then you should have enough to approach Groundspeak. It will be very interested to see what and how they are going to react. Then the chance is that the owner is the one that complains. At least you could get closer to the source of the mass hysteria.

FishEagle, where are you? You have much more strings you can pull. We have a fellow South African that needs help. You are too quiet and I know that you are watching. Any comments?

Yes, this is a mess. How can you correct yourself if no one comes forward? I hate cloak and dagger games. Rather look me in the eye and say your say. I have a lot of respect for such a person. You are sure this guy is not pulling your chain? This is quite extreme. If I was closer I would have accompanied you with a lot of friends. This would be a very interested event to be remembered for a long time.

In Afrikaans we always say “Hier het ons ‘n broek vol planne nodig”. :(

All the best of luck and I hope you can resolve this one in the best interest of all parties. Keep us posted.

Gerhard

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa

I was reading the logs of the owner and from our guy. Nothing strange can be found. All the logs are good and are a pleasure to read.

There is only one cache with the name Hotpants that was strange. Someone complaint to geospeak about this cache but never laid an official charge. But “batsgonemad and his squirrel” never visited this cache. The owner is not sure who laid the complaint. This happen about 4 months ago. Could this be the problem?

I really hope you resolve this. It is a lovely area and it must be real fun to do the caches. If you don’t just let it be.

Sterkte.

Gerhard

I have emailed the cachers who were there while we were there, so far 8 have replied in the positive and i wait for 4 others to reply. Approaching Groundspeak i think wont really do much but im not sure, i don't want to sound like a little boy running to a school teacher. I have received a 3rd mail from him and to be honest i was almost rolling on the ground with laughter. I have in 2 separate emails asked him to inform me what it is that i did that was soooo wrong, but when you read his mail it would seem he did not take any notice.

As a result we have decided it is better not to attend, but i have told him it is our decision not to attend not because he has banned us. I think it is for the better but a part of me wants to go but that might make it unpleasant for other's which is not what i want, contrary to what he thinks of me, which to be honest i don't know nor do i care. But what was the absolute final straw was when he told me that i may have brought Geocaching into disrepute.

I have left it at that if he decides to let me know his allegations i will let you all know, but for now here is his mail to me.

Batsgonemad,

The situation is very clear.

This is the THIRD and LAST time I will explain it.

Having witnessed your behaviour myself and after receiving a number of complaints from members of the public, I consider you to be erratic, reckless and irresponsible. You showed a complete disregard for other people - especially those people NOT connected with "The Glensman" event. Your actions could well have brought geocaching into disrepute.

You do NOT have any right to information provided to me on a confidential basis. Besides which, I have based my decision on incidents I myself witnessed.

It is my opinion that you will merely seek to disrupt my forthcoming event and you will endanger the health, safety and well-being of others - both geocachers and members of the general public alike.

So far you have said nothing that will change that opinion - quite the contrary.

At no time have you offered anything in the way of an apology for your behaviour. If you had, I might be willing to discuss the matter further. The fact that you haven't again confirms my opinion and your general attitude convinces me I have made the right decision.

Anyone else would have accepted my decision, with or without good grace and left it at that. The fact that you continue to try and pursue a matter which I have already decided, clearly indicates to me an arrogant and self-serving attitude. I find your argumentative posture extremely irritating and that is now a further reason why you will NOT be allowed to attend.

I have organised "Mourne Rambler" on a voluntary basis - nothing compelled me to initiate the event. As such, and as the sole organiser, I make ALL the decisions about how it is run.

At NO time have I ever considered organising an event solely, or even partly, for YOUR benefit alone. You have NO absolute right to attend. I am under NO obligation to allow you to attend - despite what you may imagine. Neither do you have any right of appeal.

Nothing could now convince me to allow you to spend ANY time, no matter how short, in my presence. You are in NO position to demand that I suffer your company.

"Mourne Rambler" is MY event. I do NOT want YOU at it for the reasons I have already stated.

That is my final decision and it is NOT open for discussion.

I HAVE MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO SPEND MY TIME ON THAN HAVING TO REPEAT MYSELF TO YOU.

I WANT NOTHING FURTHER TO DO WITH YOU.

YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO ATTEND "MOURNE RAMBLER" OR INTERFERE WITH IT OR ANY OF MY OTHER GEOCACHING ACTIVITIES IN ANY WAY.

THAT IS MY FINAL WORD ON THE MATTER.

DO NOT CONTACT ME AGAIN.