Non-Trackable Geocoins

Theotokos

As my geocoin collection continues to grow I realize that most of my coins will never be travelers. So I've been wondering why I should care if a coin has a tracking number or even a unique icon? For that matter, why should I spend the extra money on tracking numbers and an icon when we make our next personal (if there ever is one)? I realize that trackable coins may sell better and of course are the only ones you can list for sale but if sales aren't a priority then I'm not sure it matters.

Over time, I've been fortunate enough to add some very nice non-trackable coins to my collection but I can't help but feel that this part of the geocoin world is all but hidden from me. Maybe not? Maybe there aren't that many out there? So, I've been wondering... since you can't sell non-trackables on this site, how can you find out about all the non-trackables that do exist?

Do most of these show up on eBay or in the coin collecting sites? If I look through the 2 main collecting pages, will I find the majority of these listed? Any help that you could give me in finding out more about this 'other world' would be greatly appreciated.

Non trackables can be discussed here but just not sold. Many people it seems put a picture of their coin in the trading thread asking for trades and I find out that way. Or there was also a thread so people could list their trade only coins. A lot of those seem to be nontrackable too.

I feel like you that since most rarely travel it is a waste of money to get the tracking numbers. I have many nontrackables that I value much more than the trackables too.

I know that wasn't much help...

It really depends if you want to collect the coin or the icon.

For me, the only reason to have it be trackable is if I'm going to set it free to travel, otherwise it doesn't matter at all. Most of the coins in my collection that are trackable I never bothered to activate, just don't have any interest in a big ole long list of icons.

There are a TON of non-trackable coins out there, part of the fun is the hunt for them, it's a whole new world just waiting for you!

Do what makes you happy!

I find that most non-trackables pop up when I take the time to meet the people. The people that actually make them personal. They get handed out, swapped, or left in caches :laughing: I know I handed some of mine out at GW6, traded a few.

Most of the time I think with all the jamming of commercial coins down the pipe, meaningful coins get overlooked. I've said from day one, and I'll continue to say. The best coins I have were given to me by friends and are non-trackable. More valuable than any coin I could ever buy.

TMA

Here's a nice list of non-trackables.

..adding another nice site for non-trackables.

WHOA! Thanks for that list Yime, never knew that was out there :) More coins to try and collect!

I prefer nontrackables to trackables (personally). I can think of a number of very successful nontrackable coins (well according to people selling them on ebay :D). I looked through my pile of coins that I traded for at GW6 and the only nontrackables I received were the GW6 teddy bears from a couple of people (not complaining either way :))

Of all the coins I've bought, I can honestly say that had they been nontrackable, I still would have bought them (about 95% of them). I personally don't care about icons or tracking. The only time i care about tracking is if I were to release a coin and wanted to watch it travel. I've even moved away from that aspect to avoid the disappointment of stolen coins, so now I leave them as swag instead and never have to worry about it :) A person could always buy a TB and then set it free.

I've looked at the lists on the coin trading sites over the months and have tried to find nontrackables to trade for. The only thing that sucks about nontrakables (in my opinion) is if they only trade in person/events. Not all of us live in areas where it's easy to pack up and head to the next event :laughing: Worse, not many people come to the remote areas of the US or other countries. (Worse meaning for those of us who love to collect). So your only option is to try and trade your kindey and maybe a limb for one :)

Might have to practice my groveling skills come GCF :D So many shiney objects...... hopefully some nontrackables in the group, I know I'll have some nontrackables for trade there B)

Thanks for the lists, this is the kind of thing I'm looking for - at least it gives me a reference to start with. Now I need to try and find some pictures of these things too :anibad:

When I first started collecting geocoins, someone (can't recall who) sent me a long note explaining why they only collect non-trackable now. I didn't think much of it at the time but it's alway stuck with me. The more non-trackable I get, the more I like them so I'm starting to understand what they meant.

I know a lot of non-trackable are traded in person, gifted or found in caches which makes it difficult for me to find but I'll be trying - it will just make them that much more special :rolleyes:

Edited to add ---- Forgot to add that the other things that makes non-trackables so appealing (at least the personals) to me is that some folks have the coolest caching names...

Edited by Theotokos

Thanks for the link to the Wiki. It would be nice to see that build up!

I love non-trackables, and agree that the tracking number/icon is a waste when it comes to collecting. I do like collecting icons too, but then that's a different deal.

Here is a link to my own site with around 100 non-trackables listed, all with pictures and text. One day I will get back at it and add all the other coins I have lying around waiting to be photographed.

Here is a link to my own site with around 100 non-trackables listed, all with pictures and text. One day I will get back at it and add all the other coins I have lying around waiting to be photographed.

Hey there dano, and thanks for the reminder about your excellent list as well. I've always enjoyed flipping through your site because it's organized with pics, and it's got really great stories and descriptions that go along with the coins.

Thanks for the link to the Wiki. It would be nice to see that build up!

I love non-trackables, and agree that the tracking number/icon is a waste when it comes to collecting. I do like collecting icons too, but then that's a different deal.

Thank you for another great link...just taking a quick look, I can already see a whole lot of coins I get to add to my wish list. Actually finding them is another story but as someone said before..the fun is in the hunt.

I know I handed some of mine out at GW6, traded a few.

Really? Dang. What's a guy have to do to get one? :rolleyes:

Hey then what's a person to do to get one of yours? :anibad:

ROFL - touche!

To the OP - for trading, swag and sig items I think non-trackable is the way to go. As others have said, what's the point in a tracking number that doesn't get used?? And collecting icons? No, thanks.

I know I handed some of mine out at GW6, traded a few.

Really? Dang. What's a guy have to do to get one? :D

Hey then what's a person to do to get one of yours? :D

Take my approach...luck out, and find one in a cache. :D

I won't be in that neck of the woods anytime soon I'm afraid! :) Let's see now how many coins would I have to sell to finance the trip? I don't even think 100 would do it. Like avroair I think of bills in the number of geocoins.....

OT Those lists are great!! (They both have my coin in them! :) )