"The Daily Cacher"

I've not seen a thread like this yet , so thought I'd give it a go. If it works out we could do it again from time to time.

What did you do that was specifically caching related this weekend. Tell us your tales of success - or not!! Did you place a new cache or devise an evil new puzzle, use up all your PQs planning a big trip or just get out there and find that one that's been bugging you for weeks?? Share your photos and link your logs too if you like!

On Saturday we went for a short drive out of our small town to get one of our very few remaining nearby caches. It turned out to have a suprisingly scenic view out over a river valley - nothing better than a bit of wild New Zealand bush, mist hanging around the hill tops , so was well worth it for the smiley and the view! We also put out a new offset multi in the same area, using some local historic information. On our way back into town we checked on three of our other caches and found them all in good condition. One of the three we had moved a few weeks ago due to someone dumping their garden waste on its location! So checked it out and went home to re-write the puzzle for it as it has been disabled since then.

On Sunday we ended up going back out to the same area with a family that we have introduced to caching recently. (We knew the caches out there were up to a good standard, and not too hard, having just been in the area the day before - which is a good thing when caching with kids! LOL) They did our new cache (weren't FTFs) and one of the old ones, one we'd done ages ago and the one we had done the day before. We were at that one early dusk, and the view looked even more stunning that Saturday - just enough colour in the clouds/mist to enhance them, and then the beginnings of a glorious sunset in the other direction! Plus all the extra birdlife that is about at dusk. Great fun to see the children excited about the swag and negotiationg swaps too!

So - what did you do this weekend?

Annie

I've not seen a thread like this yet , so thought I'd give it a go. If it works out we could do it again from time to time.

What did you do that was specifically caching related this weekend. So - what did you do this weekend?

Annie

I just got back home from a 30 day, 5 state, 3 National Park (Yosemite-Grand Canyon-Petrified Forest), 6,028 mile, 71 smiley, trip to GeoWoodstock VI and to take my new little Snooglet to see all his relatives along the way.

So, I spent Friday and Saturday downloading pics to the caches I found and used my notes to claim finds on all the virts and Earthcaches I did along the way.

Still not finished BTW....

Here's a sample:

b6b8526e-aa82-4171-b771-d65f8ec1de01.jpg

0764b8e1-f6b2-45dd-b7bd-f14b56de109b.jpg

9853bff5-d6aa-44fc-99db-8448f849fffe.jpg

015d06d7-c760-48a5-8028-82299edbc1b9.jpg

fc78436a-81c6-4b94-a234-ccb713721199.jpg

3792a83b-6da7-400c-9c1e-3ef6b4a47bff.jpg

735073c8-f1c1-47a8-a9b0-b79af5b7a513.jpg

3d37e8a7-885d-45e0-87a2-1b734fb8cfec.jpg

de56d3b3-3c9a-41c7-bd13-07e82f42d79a.jpg

f64a3f32-c691-4fb0-9f3e-7fffa67130c8.jpg

On Saturday I placed a micro that has already been found, logged another DNF on a micro that should be findable, did two of the middle stages of a multi in various parks and kicked myself for not having the camera with me, and found the final of a puzzle-multi cache that was a lot of fun.

I made a big dent in my goal of finding a cache in each of Ohio's 88 counties. During a 900 mile roadtrip, I found caches in 20 different counties. Not a very high find count due to all the driving, but I got a lovely colored map out of the deal plus a lot of cool scenery and fun times with geo-buddies. (My ex scheduled a vacation with our daughter that conflicted with Father's Day, so I had to choose between sitting home and sulking versus getting out and caching!)

Best story of the weekend: It's 11:30 pm and I need to find a hotel room after the day's caching had finished. Usually, just going to one of the chain hotels at an interstate exit is a simple process. But every hotel was filled up due to the national rowing championships being held in the area. Oops! At the fourth hotel I visited, I got in line behind a guy who was receiving directions to another hotel a few miles away. They had a handful of rooms open up due to no-shows. I ran out the door, got in my car, punched up the name of that hotel in my POI database, and the GPS had me there in 5 minutes with no wrong turns.

As I handed over my credit card to nab the LAST room in the hotel, the guy from the previous hotel walks into the lobby and is told they're full. He throws a fit, saying that because he was in front of me at the other place, he is somehow entitled to the room I just paid for. The clerk had to ask him to leave and was getting on the phone to security because he would not let her complete my transaction. On his way out the door, I said "buy a GPS and next time you'll get there right away like I did."

I received a predictable response but oh, was it worth it. I like my GPS, I like it a lot.

Matt and I hooked up with friend to carpool down to the Adventure Maze Event in Bridgeport but had a small incident while doing a cache on the way down. The ramp to get into the park had a really sharp angle. We went in slowly, but something still dragged underneath, rendering his car undrivable.

Fortunately, we called a friend who happened to be close by, and they picked us up and brought us to the Maze where we had a blast.

56dbc4f4-161e-4a01-9f07-0ce30b5221df.jpg

We had Father's Day on Saturday and I got to pick our day's activities. After a few hours floating in the surf, we headed south to an area between us and Myrtle Beach that we'd never seen. Cherry Grove, it was called, and it was beautiful. We had bit of a hard time picking a dinner spot, sso our caching time ran low. We ended up finding a cache at the entrance to a trail across an undeveloped island. We were so excited about exploring our new "find" that we neglected to check the GPSr and walked right by three more caches withoput knowing they were there. Oh well, an excuse to go back.

oops7yt.gif

Well Sunday was Fathers Day so a few days ago I told my wife for my fathers day present I wanted to go caching all day. I've been geocaching for about a year and a half and have *never* had an entire day that I could devote to geocaching. As it turned out, I still had to cut the day short at around 3:00pm because the area that I wanted to spend the day was about an hour away, and I promised that I would be at my in-laws place for my Father-in-laws party at 4:00pm. S

I got out of the house at around 7:30am and hit the first cache at around 8:00am. I had DNFd on this one previously and found the cache this time, but as I reached into the rock wall in which it was hidden I bumped the container further in and it would have been physically impossible to retrieve it without dismantling the wall. I DNFd on the next cache (a puzzle in which the coordinates indicated I needed to search about 90' from shore on the Susquehanna river. Then I DNFd on the next cache due to muggle activity, and DNFd on the one after that, simply because I couldn't find it. I finally got my first find at around 9:00am.

I subsequently found lots of different caches including one called Rocky, which used a fake rock as a container, and one on a tank that took less than a minute for me to find. I had a couple more DNFs for the day but ended up with 21 finds, a new record for me. I've got lots of scratches from thorny bushes, a few mosquito bites, and it took me two days to write up all the logs. It was all worth it.

I guess it counts as a caching adventure even though most of it was done on the computer.

Dakota Cachers and I hid the North Dakota DeLorme Challenge. We just wait for it to be published.

ND might have a chance to enter the mainstream of caching after all.

Edit to add: There are even 4 events scheduled around the state this weekend. Not bad considering the there had never been an event at all in the state before 2 years ago.

Edited by Totem Clan