A way to get rid of your old coins

Eric K

Just throwing this idea out there.

I have recently seen a lot of folks 'clearing out their collections' or 'getting rid of duplicates' etc.

If USA Geocoins was to offer up a program where when you place an order you could send in one of the coins you no longer want to get either a discount off that order and then we would resend that coin free to other customers at random would you be interested in something like that.

For now, I'm not looking for reasons on why it would or wouldn't work as I would work on the details later. For now I just want to see if people would be interested in something like this.

Thanks in advance,

Editing post:

I want to change this to if you have constructive ideas on how this could work please feel free to post them and how to avoid potential problems. For now I want to keep this as a positive discussion.

Edited by Eric K

I think it is an interesting idea. There are some logistics that concern me like keeping track of the coins that are sent back to you in order to receive the discount.

I have thought of two ways that could be handled.

1. If you pay by check or Money Order you can send the coin with your payment.

2. If you are a regular customer and know you will order in the future I can enter credits in the software. Then next time you place an order the credit will show up and be taken off of your order.

Thanks,

Eric

I am not a regular customer, but if I was it would not appeal to me not only because of the double shipping (paying to send the coin back), but also having to do the whole "package it and go to the post office" thing. I don't think any discount would cover that. It would just be easier to throw the coin in a cache.

I am not a regular customer, but if I was it would not appeal to me not only because of the double shipping (paying to send the coin back), but also having to do the whole "package it and go to the post office" thing. I don't think any discount would cover that. It would just be easier to throw the coin in a cache.

You have missed the point here! Eric stated with folks 'clearing out their collections' or 'getting rid of duplicates'... Thus these folks would have been packaging coins, traveling to the Post Office and incurring postage costs anyway, not putting those extras into caches.

I think it is an interesting concept and may have merit. The difficultly will be in coming to an agreed value of the coins for the discount.

I think it is an interesting concept and may have merit. The difficultly will be in coming to an agreed value of the coins for the discount.

Agreed, this may be the hardest part. It dates back to having an "agreed on" value of coins. What I think may be valauble (Santa Cruz County Geocachers from 2005, non-trackable for example), may not carry much weight with newer collectors.

I think the concept itself is interesting, though.

(Take with a grain of salt as I don't BUY much anymore, just trade :D )

You have missed the point here! Eric stated with folks 'clearing out their collections' or 'getting rid of duplicates'... Thus these folks would have been packaging coins, traveling to the Post Office and incurring postage costs anyway, not putting those extras into caches.

No, I get it, really. My feedback stands. If I was clearing out my collection or getting rid of duplicates, and I did not feel the need to sell them, I would drop them in caches (or give them away at events).

If I was packaging coins and traveling to the post office to SELL my coins, that would be worth the time and effort.

I don't have enough of these "extras" yet :D for now my extras remain on my trade list.. but I'm guessing that the folks who sell off their extras would hope to be getting at least what they paid for them, and in many cases, more than.. as value seems to increase with age.

I guess it depends if the extras were bought to have and enjoyed and the owner grew tired of them, and now just wants to clear some space; or if the extras were bought as an investment for trading or whatever..

Another issue I am wondering about: is the shop going to list the coins that one might receive through random draw as a bonus for their orders? If so, I don't like the plan, as this way the shop will attract orders thanks to coins that were produced bu their competitor, which personally I wouldn't like very much.

No, I get it, really. My feedback stands. If I was clearing out my collection or getting rid of duplicates, and I did not feel the need to sell them, I would drop them in caches (or give them away at events).

If I was packaging coins and traveling to the post office to SELL my coins, that would be worth the time and effort.

Yep - that's fair enough B)

Activating and sending traveling is definitely a good thing to do... after all thats how this whole craze started! <_<

First off, thanks to all for keeping this on topic and a civil discussion.

This would be more for coins that aren't valuable.

The thinking is if you had some coins you were going to send out anyway or some extra coins you just have laying around that aren't rare. You send them in when you make a purchase, get a discount, and then they get resent to someone else at random.

Could just be an interesting and different way to get coins out.

Thanks,

Eric