Geocaching & Hiking Poles

I have recently started Geocaching. As I am no longer the man I think I am, I now must use hiking poles. I find it very awkward to hold the Gps, Garmin 60Cx, and the poles. I feel there must be others out there who have had this problem. Can you tell me how you resolved it?

thanks for the help.

I use two Leki trekking poles now and won't go hiking without them. Fortunately, my Vista HCx keeps a signal even when I have it attached to the belt of my lumbar pack, using the neoprene case and a small carabiner. The people I hike with who have the 60Cx, use the belt clip on either their belt, or on a pack strap. That seems to work well.

Once I get to GZ, I'll put one pole down and work my way to the cache with the GPSr in one hand, the pole in the other to be used for poking around before sticking my hand in a potential hiding place.

I have recently started Geocaching. As I am no longer the man I think I am, I now must use hiking poles. I find it very awkward to hold the Gps, Garmin 60Cx, and the poles. I feel there must be others out there who have had this problem. Can you tell me how you resolved it?

thanks for the help.

A belt clip, or a lanyard should do the trick. I love my trekking poles, and wouldn't give them up when I go hiking.

thanks for the help.

A belt clip, or a lanyard should do the trick. I love my trekking poles, and wouldn't give them up when I go hiking.

I'm currently only using one hiking pole, and my GPS (Garmin 60CSx) is equipped with a lanyard (they have several kinds -- I'm sure you could probably find them elsewhere, too). My only real (ie. biggest) problem with it is that my GPS tends to swing from side to side a bit when I'm underway (it's also a little "small" for me, but I also have a rather thick neck).

I also picked up a bag made by GPS Outfitters, which works really well strung over my shoulder and around my chest (it also has a rain pouch). It's nice, too, since I can shove a couple pens in the side pockets and the GPS still works while inside the bag... though that pocket's large enough that it tend to catch pretty much "anything" I have in my hands, such as my cell phone or a travel bug or three (until it gets back to the MULE pack, at least). The belt clip's a bit big to be useful, though, IMO. I must also admit that I originally found and purchased the bag at a local sporting goods store, though, and didn't buy it online.

I'd also be interested in what other techniques/items people use in trying to manage all the junk we invariably seem to find ourselves out on the trails with...

I use two trekking poles and I keep my 60CSX clipped to my belt. I only need to look at it periodically, so I don't have a problem using it with both hands occupied by the poles.

There is no reason to be constantly looking at your GPS screen until you get real close and when I get close I just put my poles down and search. That way I have twice the fun. First looking for the cache, then hunting for the poles.

Edited by briansnat

I didn't get a chance to look at it too closely, but a cacher I met on the trail one day had a pretty cool setup:

They had the GPS attached to one of their poles. Not sure, but I think they modified the bike or car mount for the unit to clamp onto the pole. It was oriented horizontally so he could just look down and read the screen as he walked.

Next time I bump into him, I'll take a closer look...

I use two trekking poles and I keep my 60CSX clipped to my belt. I only need to look at it periodically, so I don't have a problem using it with both hands occupied by the poles.

Different model, same experience.

Also, my trekking poles have elastic wrist bands, so when I need a hand or two, I just let go of a pole (or both) and drag them. Some people claim that a wrist strap on a pole is bad because you could get tangled during a fall, but mine have enough elasticity that they come off if really pulled.

Add a camera and it really gets fun. And a wildflower book. Etc.

Edward

Also, my trekking poles have elastic wrist bands, so when I need a hand or two, I just let go of a pole (or both) and drag them. Some people claim that a wrist strap on a pole is bad because you could get tangled during a fall, but mine have enough elasticity that they come off if really pulled.

Those aren't wrist bands. They're hand straps, and they should be bearing the majority of the downward force. You should have just a light grip on the handles, just enough to control to poles. Good info.

Edited by Prime Suspect