Best GPS for a road bike

Careful, some automobile units should not be mounted on a bike. I know the Garmin Nuvi line says not to use them on a motorcycle.

Also most auto units like the Streetpilot, Nuvi, Tom Tom, Maestro, etc. are not waterproof.

I'd go with a handheld like a 60CSX on a bike, or a hybrid like the Garmin Quest or Quest II

I ride a sportbike so its probably not the answer your looking for but I run my vista HCX on my bike and it works great, I redid the case and the nylon strap around the upper triple tree of the bike with velcro so I can remove it and throw it in the storage compartment under the rear seat if I stop somewhere that requires me to be away from my bike, I also had a belt clip made up with a velrco pad that attaches to the back of the HCX's case in case I want to take it with me

I've been in the rain with this setup and had no problems at all

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d171/DJS69/gps.jpg

I tried a smaller hand held unit on my bike....and while it worked ok, it was hard to see in the sun, and the screen is really small at 60 mph.

I ended up getting the Zumo.....yes it's expensive, but when I moved to a new state, I found it invaluable.

Edited by HawgFlies

A buddy asked me if they make a weatherproof GPSR that he can mount on his Gold Wing.

Something like the Street Pilot or Tom Tom?

Do you have any suggestions?

Perhaps a marine version?

I have used both of these units on my bike, Streetpilot 2610 and Map 60CX which are waterproof. The 2610 was bought as a reman unit and the price was good along with a 1 yr war from Garmin. I have RAM mounts for both units. Check the stores on Ebay.

I mounted a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx on my Honda Magna V65 using the Garmin handlebar mount, works great. I run the lanyard around the bars and tripletree to keep it in place in case of a mounting failure, but otherwise, once I get where I'm going, it just pops right off. I don't have any maps installed on my HCx, so I don't use it for turn-by-turn, although that could be tricky since he HCx has no audio capabilities. Right now, I use it to record trip traces, as an accurate speedometer, and a clock.

HondaMagnaGPS.jpg

A buddy asked me if they make a weatherproof GPSR that he can mount on his Gold Wing.

The Street Pilot 2820 is waterproof and you can use the bluetooth to send the voice commands to a bluetooth ear piece.

I believe all the hiking GPS that Garmin makes are waterproof - you can check the specs on their web site and look at the accessories and mounting brackets as well to see what fits your cycle. Best to stick with what someone else has proved is workable. Keep asking - email the folks that respond. I use GPS 72 on my mountain bicycle and it takes the bumps and rain and keeps going. Ya need more money for maps and road routes. Keep looking.

I have the Zumo 550 and love it. With the touch screen you can use with gloves on, blue tooth for my blackberry, mp3 player, fm traffic and yes it has been in the rain several times as I ride about 20,000 miles each year, rain does not stop me or the Zumo. But I use my CSx for geocaching. I see them as two completely different units for their propose. The Zumo is bulky and not designed for Geocaching but the screen and buttons on the CSx are not motorcycle friendly.

Just my 2-cents worth.

Gold Wing a road bike??

THIS is a road bike:

web.jpg

:huh:

-murray (yes, I mount my 60CSx to it)

The Garmin Zumo for sure!

http://www.zumoforums.com/

Heh! After seeing your posts over on POI Factory I was going to point the OP to you for advice. I see I'm too late. :huh:

Pat -

Trust MM. She's who I'd ask about this topic.

I just checked Amazon for pricing. The zumo 550 lists for $1,099.99 but Amazon has it for $660.67. Sounds like a lot but it's what you really want. Try using other units with gloves on......

[Edit]

thenerds.net has it for $507.99

Edited by Thrak

I have heard there are a lot of issues with the HCX popping out of the Garmin handlebar mount since it mounts to the battery door.Have any of you had this problem with the Garmin mount.I have the 60csx and have used the Garmin Handlebar mount for a long time with no issues.I was just debating as I had thought about trading mu csx for the hcx to save a lil size but the mount and usability with the buttons on the side has been stopping me.

I have heard there are a lot of issues with the HCX popping out of the Garmin handlebar mount since it mounts to the battery door.Have any of you had this problem with the Garmin mount.I have the 60csx and have used the Garmin Handlebar mount for a long time with no issues.

I have used eTrex-formfactor GPSr on handlebar mounts with not problem, including some relatively rough dualsport riding.

I have not of any problems with any popping out. If anything, the complaints are that cycle vibration can result in loss of battery contact, thus powering the unit off.

I have heard there are a lot of issues with the HCX popping out of the Garmin handlebar mount since it mounts to the battery door.Have any of you had this problem with the Garmin mount.I have the 60csx and have used the Garmin Handlebar mount for a long time with no issues.I was just debating as I had thought about trading mu csx for the hcx to save a lil size but the mount and usability with the buttons on the side has been stopping me.

Well, I've done a couple hundred miles with it on my bike, and the back hasn't come loose, and the batteries neve lost contact, it all worked flawlessly. And don't worry about the buttons, you should set everything up before you leave, anyways, you don't want to be tinkering with stuff like this when you're riding a motorcycle. And if you really need to adjust something, pull over! Riding a motorcycle is dangerous enough (the brother of the guy I bought mine from just got a rod installed in his leg because some lady ran a red light and hit him on his bike), you don't need to be trying to enter info or switch around screen configs while underway. But while stopped at a gas station, I can work the buttons well enough with my gloves on, although it's much easier to just pop them off.

Oh, and I also have a second handlebar mount on my mountain bike.